Bee Gees: General Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LouieG, Sep 5, 2019.

1. skyblue17

skyblue17 Forum Resident

I would love if there was a more complete database for Bee Gee tour setlists! I know Setlist FM can be good from time to time. I'm spoiled as a Hanson fan, a friend of mine has tracked literally every setlist of their entire career, so we have an incredible resource and I wish such a thing existed for more bands.

Here is a setlist from the Trafalgar tour, though!

Bee Gees Setlist at Memorial Drive Park, Adelaide

pokemaniacjunk and JeffMo like this.
  2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Thanks. Doesn't feature much of Trafalgar though. Was hoping the solo Mo number would be the title track!

3. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Well, technically they were brothers....lol. :laugh:

keyXVII, Jrr, skyblue17 and 1 other person like this.
  4. skyblue17

skyblue17 Forum Resident

It's a kind cool cover in that there's this sort of "party's over!" vibe to it. Mo's shirt is unbuttoned, Robin looks like he's put his coat and scarf on to leave for the evening, Barry might be lingering and staying a little longer. A sorta interesting balance to the end of the disco era.

What skyline is that? I'm not sure why i can't tell for sure.

Jarleboy and Hadean75 like this.
  5. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

A few songs from a New Zealand 1971 concert, "Jingle Jangle" is a stand out track for me.

Rick Bartlett, Majk and Hadean75 like this.
  6. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

I love this video. :agree:

7. Photon

Photon Forum Resident

I absolutely LOVE "E.S.P.". And I think that your description of "manic energy" describes it perfectly. Fast-paced, drive, great drum/bass programming and an awesome guitar solo. And the vocals...well...they "take your breath away". :)
    The numerous extended versions/mixes further enhance my love of the track.
    I also think that the "E.S.P." video is one of their strongest.

Hadean75 and skyblue17 like this.
  8. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

50 St. Catherine's Drive
    [​IMG]

A solid release for brother Robin. Bittersweet as it was released after his death.

keyXVII, siveld, peachyg72 and 2 others like this.
  9. skyblue17

skyblue17 Forum Resident

I've never listened to this and I'm a little unsure.

Because I had the Bee Gees as a kind of backburner favorite at that time, I didn't really get into any projects post-Bee Gees. Robin is who drew me to the Bee Gees originally, and since my rediscovery I've just confirmed that he really is my favorite singer. I guess I've been nervous to embark into that time? I applaud him for still being inspired enough to create, and for not drifting far from the only thing he's ever known, even as he got sicker. I try to remind myself not to feel sad, but knowing the ending makes it hard, ya know? Are there songs from this album that you can recommend?

10. Psychedelic Good Trip

Days Of Wine And Roses
    Alan Freeman Days
    Cherish

Here ya I feel the same way about this time in Robins life. I feel the same way about John Lennon's Double Fantasty album. Because it was released just before his death.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    skyblue17 and Jarleboy like this.
  11. Psychedelic Good Trip

The thing that made the Gees stick out during the late 60's early 70's on AM radio was Robin's vibrato voice. Unique for a rock band of that time. The Gees definitely included Robin's voice in many Gees compositions of that era.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  12. Castle in the air

Castle in the air Forum Resident

Like so many I "discovered" the Bee Gees with SNF and then Spirits.
    The first time I heard Robin sing solo and knew who it was not just a song I kinda recognized from the past was watching the Spirits tour TV special in November 1979.

In the TV guide article of that week that they were on the cover of it said he used to sing lead and I wondered what he could possibly sound like as a singer.
    His voice just sinks deeply into ones mind and became my favorite.
    From that point on I scoured the radio to find any playing of their older recordings and was hooked.

I don`t care for some of his strained high,but not really falsetto efforts but in his natural voice he was one of the best vocalists ever.

keyXVII, Hadean75 and skyblue17 like this.
  13. Castle in the air

Castle in the air Forum Resident

This sounds a lot like Really And Sincerely to me in some ways.

14. Rockerbox

Rockerbox Senior Member

The Bee Gees were a group that pleased me more and more as they got older. I went on a Bee Gees spree today with my book shelf stereo's cassette players at work. Their craft and music got the most life affirming for me today with the "High Civilization", "Size Isn't Everything", "Still Waters" and "This Is Where I Came In" albums. Them making such super albums as they got older made it even more of a tragedy when Maurice and Robin died. Looking forward to playing those four again tomorrow.

keyXVII, siveld, Hadean75 and 2 others like this.
  15. Eleanora's Alchemy

Eleanora's Alchemy Forum Cryptid

I guess some of Barry's hairspray must of got a bit smudged onto the camera lens during the photo session... :winkgrin:

16. skyblue17

skyblue17 Forum Resident

I watched most of the This Is Where I Came In documentary last night, as I don't think I've actually seen the entire thing. I've definitely seen parts of it, likely repurposed into other specials (perhaps Legends? Definitely Andy's Behind the Music). It's a pretty great program! I'm always amazed by how much early footage there is both of the family (home movies) and of the early performances when the twins were still tweens. There's even really great footage of the early performances of the band as we know them, I'm not sure why I'm always surprised by that, maybe my expectations of the time are lower than was actually possible back then! It makes me crave more concert footage, though, as clearly even more exists than has been officially released. We don't care about the quality, just give it to us!

The interview segments are so in depth too, I can only imagine how long the guys had to sit there to get that level of conversation. I'm always taken by how effusive Maurice is when he describes things. He is refreshingly open, it's like Robin will give a simple but complete answer and then Maurice will paint the picture of the answer. Ugh, I miss them both.

One thing that really struck me is the part where they discuss the train crash, how horrible it was, how lucky Robin and Molly were, how much Robin did at the scene, and then later they are like "and then Robin and Molly were really isolated, and Robin kinda disappeared from us for awhile." Um. Maybe they were kinda messed up from that whole experience?! Hearing Robin talk about it even decades later, he still seemed a bit shaken recounting it, I can only imagine what it was like so soon after!

And I always love hearing sweet Barbara recounting stories of the boys' shenanigans in her nonchalant "what are you gonna do with boys!" tone. The part where she's like, well, I saw the fire and I knew who was behind it! Yeesh!!!

keyXVII, Jrr, Jarleboy and 2 others like this.
  17. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Have you seen the precursor 'Keppel Road'?

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. skyblue17

skyblue17 Forum Resident

I unfortunately have not. I wanted to get that around the time it was released but never did for some reason and now it seems hard/expensive to find in a format that is playable, and it's not been ripped onto YouTube either (aside from some clips, which I have watched). I probably should dig a little more for it!

Jarleboy and Rick Bartlett like this.
  19. Rick Bartlett

'This Is Where I Came In' documentary is sort of like the updated version if you will.
    But 'Keppel Road' has so many good parts to it, that it's a must watch, especially if you've enjoyed the 'TIWICI' doco.
    It's a disgrace it's been long out of print and now so expensive.
    Keep a look out for it, you won't be disappointed if you get it.
    :righton:

Jrr, JeffMo, Jarleboy and 2 others like this.
  20. Photon

Photon Forum Resident

Great album cover.

Other favourites are:

- High Civilization
    - Odessa
    - Two Years On
    - Trafalgar
    - Main Course
    - Children of the World
    - Size

There are some great single covers from the Size and Still Waters eras as well.

Hadean75 likes this.
  21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

About your avatar..... :laugh:

I like the music but not the art on that one!

22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I think I’ve seen them all and I agree with you on Keppel, and it’s actually probably the best one. I only have it on a laserdisc, was it ever available on dvd? I never saw it on that format or I would have bought a copy.

Jarleboy, Hadean75 and Rick Bartlett like this.
  23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

What a riot...I love the cover but find the album rather weak. A lot of filler on side two. But, I love the title track and few other songs. Just a lot of lazy song writing that I attribute to them figuring Warner’s wasn’t going to support it as it was their last album for them. And they were right, I didn’t even know it was out! Their next album for Polygram would be far better!

Hadean75 likes this.
  24. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Issued twice in Europe. I've seen a Canadian releases with a different artwork but I think it was never issued in the US of A on DVD.

25. Rick Bartlett

It was released here in Australia at least, I remember it being in the shops.
    I had it on VHS, and the DVD was still a new and expensive format then, and too expensive for me considering
    the VHS would have cost about US$30.00! now (with inflation) for a video!
    The DVD was much more expensive.
    In hindsight, I should have bought it, because it wasn't available for very long.
    A regret.
    Been trying to score a 'cheap' copy either in the used bins ever since!
    My video copy isn't bad, I tend to watch my dubbed to hard drive version, and happy enough with that.
    I'm with you @Jrr, I think it's the best one too.

Jrr likes this.