Bee Gees: General Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LouieG, Sep 5, 2019.

1. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

2. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

A great asset to any collector, it certainly was for me back in the day. I think Joe has tired of it lately though due to the lack of noteworthy releases.

3. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Robin's 80s albums (particularly How Old Are You?) are next on my to buy list, though mp3s from Amazon are likely the way I'll get them given the relative lack of availability otherwise (at least where I live).

Trader Joe and JeffMo like this.
  4. dmiller458

An old sweetheart of mine loved all things Bee Gees and especially Andy. But she only knew their superstar disco years. I used that site to make a CD for her of their earlier hits and I found all those early songs that they wrote for others before they relocated back to the UK.

JeffMo likes this.
  5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Juliet '20 (duet with RJ and Robin)....
    Please no!!!

ferdinandhudson likes this.
  6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I haven't looked, but are these available at 7 Digital in lossless form?

7. ferdinandhudson

He'll likely write a new verse for it too.

8. dmiller458

Bee Gee; it's kind of like saying Everly Brother. It's only one letter, but that S makes all the difference in the world.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  9. Hadean75

I have no idea. I'm not familiar with that site.

10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

What would you think of Giles Martin style remixing of the three 80s albums? In general I'm not a fan of reimagining of albums, but in this case deemphasizing some 80s production could serve the music content.

11. ferdinandhudson

Nope, only lossy.

12. ferdinandhudson

Not a fan of those I'm afraid. The ones Giles did for the Beatles leave me cold.
    They are a product of their time and should be left as is, imho.

blueslover99 and JeffMo like this.
  13. ferdinandhudson

I switched to the US branch and it appears you at least get How Old Are You as a 16-bit FLAC. Count yourself lucky there! That said, 7Digital Sweden has a lossy Walls Have Eyes (actually 2 separate listings of it). Secret Agent is a no show on both portals though.

JeffMo likes this.
  14. Hadean75

Run To Me....

15. dmiller458

I would have loved to have heard Roy Oribson cover some of Robin's songs. When it comes to melodramatic pathos, they made the goth and emo crowds look like pikers.

16. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Thank you for the tip! I was not aware of this CD, and it contained a few of my favourites, so buying this was a no-brainer. As am I... :agree: Once again - thanks!

Rick Bartlett and Hadean75 like this.
  17. ferdinandhudson

One of the better or should I say more interesting releases since the deluxe edition of Odessa, however unofficial it is.

18. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Yeah, I was a bit worried about it not being official, but... What I don´t know won´t kill me. It contains several tracks from "BEE GEES 1ST" and the magnificent "WORLD", so I am sold. :righton:

Watched the Blu-ray of "ONE FOR ALL" yesterday, so I need some more Bee Gees.

19. Hadean75

20. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

Yes, this is exactly my situation as well. I would love to purchase a box set of all of Robin Gibb's solo recordings. Unfortunately, it looks like I will be forced to purchase MP3 albums from Amazon.com.

Such as shame.

21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

With so many official BBC releases, I'm shocked there isn't an official one for Bee Gees.

Jarleboy and Hadean75 like this.
  22. Hadean75

23. MetalGuruMessiah

MetalGuruMessiah Forum Resident

I’ve always loved this band. Far too many people seemed to hold disco against them and forever associated them with it. Their songwriting is only surpassed by The Beatles. Extraordinary artists.

24. dmiller458

I like disco. Disco was good until it got re-commercialized.

25. Photon

Photon Forum Resident

Songwriting:

I have often wondered how the brothers used to go about the songwriting process. I have read/heard about it - one of them bringing in an idea, or them creating a song in the studio. But I am referring more to the early eighties, when they weren't specifically working on a Bee Gees album. And they were extremely prolific during this time, working on many different projects, with songwriting credits being quite varied - R&M, B&M, B,R&M, R,B&M, and others. While working on "Secret Agent", did Barry just pop in two contribute to two songs, and then even more for "Walls Have Eyes"? Did Robin do the same during "Now Voyager"? Did they have specific songwriting sessions? Did they invite each other over for barbecues and then a song or two or three were born? Does anyone have any idea how they worked during this time?