Bee Gees: General Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LouieG, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I’m really curious how the very well done vinyl reissues did for Capital. I know Amazon kinda blew out Main Course awfully cheap. They even still have the limited edition vinyl available, and I don’t think many copies were even pressed. You see so many vinyl box sets coming out by far lesser artists (Leo Sayer…really…I like him okay but did they really sell many copies)? I think a box set Bee Gees comp would do very well, much better than individual releases. And a lot of their albums were not issued on vinyl in the US. Just seems like an obvious step for Capital to take. Would sure love Still Waters on vinyl. Hard to believe we won’t at least see that one issued as its well regarded and sold respectably well.

Hadean75 likes this.
  2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Not happy it’s $200 if I want to buy a copy now. I just don't understand people. If they would stop buying from flippers this nonsense would stop. It was $22 and I thought it was great the label gave buyers a deal. I liked what I heard from it though. But not paying that much! Funny how the cover is almost the same as the RSD 12” from maybe three years ago.

skyblue17 likes this.
  3. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

Good point. When High Civilization was a new release, I remember we couldn't find a copy anywhere; and my mother (who's the biggest Bee Gees fan in a family of Bee Gees fans) was quite frustrated about it. It seemed that music stores just weren't carrying it. We finally found a small place somewhere that had wound up with a cassette copy. I can't remember exactly what the clerk said as my mother paid for it, but it was something to the effect that he didn't even realize that the Bee Gees made new albums, etc. And of course he chuckled and rolled his eyes too -- very condescending. As Bee Gees fans and supporters, we never could get over the negative attitude people had about the Bee Gees back then. In fact, one of my teachers in grade school learned that I liked the Bee Gees and used to make fun of me for it in front of the other kids. It was ridiculous.

[Edit/PS - Later that same school year, two chums and I entered an "air band" competition at the school and the song we chose was "Ordinary Lives". Our performance wasn't that good, but we loved the song. Later, someone approached me and asked where she might find a copy of the song!]

It's been years since I've played the entire album (i.e., with the CD bonus track), but I think the album was long enough without it. I love the first three cuts on Side 2 (if I recall, they're "Ghost Train", "Dimensions", and "The Only Love"); but, after that, yeah I never play it to the end. But I think it's a solid album up to "The Only Love".

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    jeremylr and Hadean75 like this.
  4. skyblue17

skyblue17 Forum Resident

High Civ grew on me a lot but it’s still kinda bananas to me how LONG those songs are.

Neonbeam and Hadean75 like this.
  5. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

I've heard a few, and some are actually pretty good. :agree:

Andy's Shadow Dancing cover caught me by surprise! I didn't realize he could sing so well lol. :yikes:

Not saying he's the best singer in the world, but I think he does a pretty good job. :righton:

I know, right? :laugh:

6. skyblue17

skyblue17 Forum Resident

I sent my brother the "Shadow Dancing" cover and he says that it's Taylor Hawkins (Foo drummer) singing. I'm not really familiar enough with Taylor's voice to be able to say for sure if it's the entire song or just parts, though!

Photon, jeremylr and Hadean75 like this.
  7. Hadean75

Bee Gees Facebook Post:

Facebook

On this day in 1969 Neil Armstrong was walking on the moon, and the Bee Gees were still celebrating the release of their Odessa album. Who else remembers this magical day? [​IMG][​IMG] #NationalMoonDay

[​IMG]

joelee, sonnyrock, Neonbeam and 2 others like this.
  8. skyblue17

skyblue17 Forum Resident

That picture is from that day? Seems later!

Photon and Hadean75 like this.
  9. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

$200 is just nuts

Jrr and Ms. Daisy like this.
  10. Hadean75

I think that picture is from the Main Course era (1975ish).

I think they probably just used it because today is "National Moon Day" (when Apollo 11 landed and man walked on the moon for the first time), and the picture happens to have a telescope lol. :laugh:

11. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I’m glad they decided to do these songs like The Bee Gees.

I was impressed with Taylor’s vocal on Dennis Wilson’s “Holy Man”, a completed track that never received a vocal. His father-in-law (I think, or maybe at least as of 2008) was Gregg Jakobson, Dennis’ frequent collaborator. Gregg knew the original melody. He and Taylor completed the lyrics. Then Taylor sang that song as if he WAS Dennis Wilson, minus the vocal damage. It was just about as good as one could hope for.

Taylor’s vocal on “Shadow Dancing” seems to be trying to channel Andy in a similar manner as he previously channeled Dennis. Pretty good.

12. skyblue17

skyblue17 Forum Resident

Yes! As a Dennis fan, I am familiar with Taylor’s work on that song, my brother is more so which is why he was able to confirm it’s Taylor on “Shadow Dancing,” that’s basically the only song I’ve heard him sing so I couldn’t be so sure. He did well by Dennis with that performance!

13. JUAN CRISTOBAL

JUAN CRISTOBAL Forum Resident

Night Fever has now surpassed 200 million streams on Spotify. The most played song on radio in both, the US and the UK in 78 according to BMI. The song spent 8 weeks at number 1 in the States and 2 weeks in Britain. It was also the best-selling single in Brazil and a huge number 1 in Canada and Mexico too, among other countries.

JeffMo, jeremylr, Photon and 2 others like this.
  14. Hadean75

Random pics Friday:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jeremylr, Neonbeam and Photon like this.
  15. Hadean75

Random pics Friday, part 2:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Hadean75

Random pics Friday, part 3:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Shaken not stirred? Has this anything to do with "Live & Let Die" or "The Man With The Golden Gun"? Has to be from 1973/4.

Hadean75, Photon and jeremylr like this.
  18. JUAN CRISTOBAL

JUAN CRISTOBAL Forum Resident

From Music Week in the UK, The Dee Gees enter the charts in Britain. Drop 2 of the 2021 Record Store Day events took place last week and although as ever the limited-edition nature of many of the discs thus released means they struggle to make much of a chart impact, the ones that do are naturally some of the most coveted releases of all. Perhaps inevitably the charge is led by Hail Satin, the Foo Fighters album which features a selection of live cuts but most notably five Bee Gees covers performed by the band under their Dee Gees alter-ego. The Foo's second chart album of the year, it enters at No.17 with 3,006 sales. Its a number 2 at the Vinyl Chart Official Vinyl Albums Chart Top 40 | Official Charts Company "

Photon, JeffMo and Hadean75 like this.
  19. Hadean75

Have no idea lol. :unhunh:

I think this pic is from the 67/68 era. I remember reading Barry went to court and paying a fine when he was younger for having guns without a license: Barry Weapons - Bee Gees BR

[​IMG]
    Pop star Barry Gibb, lead singer of the Bee Gees pop group pictured with his girlfriend Linda Gray after they had returned from Snow Hill police station. He was taken there after a revolver was fired outside his penthouse flat in the City of London October 1968

[​IMG]

Photon and Neonbeam like this.
  20. Hadean75

Statues Saturday:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Kinda creepy really.

Neonbeam likes this.
  22. VinylMan07

VinylMan07 *Almost* but *not entirely* an Audiophile

They're amazing! As someone said once, I can't remember, but I think it was Barry himself: "Their career was like a roller coaster with lots of ups and lots of downs".
    It amazes me to this day how long they were able to stay together (Almost 50 years, and, probably, they wold still be if all of the tree were alive), and how they were always able to reinvent their sound to stay relevant, mixing music genres Wich things of their own. They are probably the best family group of all time.
    I just can't think of any of their albums that I don't like, everything that's touched by them turns into some sort of magical wonder. Still waters is my preferred album, followed by Spirits and Children of The World

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  23. Neonbeam

Managed to find a US "To Whom It May Concern" in a small store yesterday sitting between the usual compilations and "ESP" copies.

The vinyl does have some light marks but I was throughly amazed to finally see a complete, working pop-up. No idea what people did with the brothers figures - this was after all not a hit album or in the hands of teenagers - but they seem to be awol quite often. So I decided to take a chance and plonked down my 10€. This will be cleaned and played next week!

Another observation: The store also had a huge selection of used CDs but while they had almost complete discographies of other big 70's acts there wasn’t a single Bee Gees or Robin silver disc. Not even "One". :unhunh:

24. Hadean75

Kinda, yes lol. :uhhuh:

Still neat though. :)

Photon, Jrr and Neonbeam like this.
  25. Neonbeam

Been revisiting "Life In A Tin Can" & "Mr. Natural" over the last couple of days. Both very good but the latter is a huge step forward into the unknown. It hangs in a very creative way between post-"Odessa" and "Main Course" Bee Gees and it's amazing how they could pull their act together when it really counted. It's an album full of lovely little details that covers all Gibb bases and moves on. The way "Throw A Penny" - with its mild psych stylings - segues into the blistering "Down The Road", "Dogs" with its lovely Elton John touch, the mysterious "Voices", "Heavy Breathing", a couple of trademark anthemic ballads, the sensual opener "Charade" (which is pure 1974 bliss) and let's not forget that title track. A total winner!

"Life In A Tin Can" may not be as varied but it's definitely a really nice album. "Method To My Madness" is another of those multiple unsung Gibb songs. Amazing that they readied two albums for 1973 but by that point it was clear that something had to give. And "Mr.Natural" opened that tin can just nicely. Even though an official release of "Kick" would be fantastic.

One (actually four) question(s) for older fans: Who exactly was buying these albums back then? Who were the people they actually did concern? Probably not records that got many new fans on board. How were they regarded? Did they inspire any cover features or was there simply a small review in the backpages of the music press? Were the brothers seen as 60's relics, has-beens even?

The benefit of hindsight does the 1970 - 1974 run extremly good.

jeremylr, Photon, siveld and 2 others like this.