Bee Gees' Reissues On the Way!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by skyblue17, Mar 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I hope they remaster the other albums as well.
    I'd love to have new copies of their earlier and later albums.

A new and carefully remastered edition of "Two Years On" would be fantastic.

Man at C&A and JeffMo like this.
  2. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Ah Yes, that's the chance we all take.
    Hopefully it works out well!
    Not saying it's not 'Legit', just some get 'lazy' and 'sloppy'.
    Get in early, absolutely is the best bet!
    Good luck, they look like great releases!
    :agree:

skyblue17 likes this.
  3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Here At Last is a fantastic album, and it is actually how I first heard the older material. Some of the arrangements blown away the studio counterparts (eg Lonely Days).

4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

My original is still in pretty good shape. Can’t say the same about my original and very worn out copies of Main Course or Children of the World.

I actually found a sealed new copy of SHF in the wild a couple years ago to replace the worn out original I had!

5. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

One of the reports I read for 2019 is that gross revenue for Vinyl surpassed CD's. Also a few of the high placed contacts at a few of the major labels have said that 75% of product at this point will be vinyl and very little CD's. I don't own a turntable and don't love vinyl so I'm not happy about this at all.

6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Interesting since that is Vol 2 cover for many of us.

What did Italy’s Vol 2 have for a sleeve!?

7. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

I *hate* that purple Capitol label. So ugly and hard to read. How difficult would it have been to create custom labels for these?

8. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

I expect to get some hate for saying this but original copies can all be had easily for cheap so I don't understand the point of even reissuing them.

9. George Cooke

George Cooke Well unknown member

You're spot on - it seems pointless, in my view, save for two main things: keeping an industry alive and refreshing interest in some remarkable musical artists.

10. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

The Best of Bee Gees vol 2 that Italy got was issued back in 1971 as was the case with many countries on the European mainland that same year.

[​IMG]

Tracklist was, naturally, different to the UK (and US) tracklisting and featured some of the solo singles.

A1 Let There Be Love 3:30
    A2 I.o.I.o. 4:47
    A3 Don't Forget To Remember 3:03
    A4 Saved By The Bell 3:27
    A5 Lamplight 2:52
    A6 One Million Years 4:05
    B1 August October 2:31
    B2 Sweetheart 3:08
    B3 Railroad 3:43
    B4 I'll Kiss Your Memory 4:25
    B5 Lonely Days 3:46
    B6 Tomorrow, Tomorrow 3:55

The tracklisting for the 1973 Italian vol. 3 was subsequently what the UK got on their vol. 2.

granata, JeffMo and tug_of_war like this.
  11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

thanks, I’ve seen that photo before but never realized it was an album sleeve. Must be circa ‘70 based on Barry’s clean shaven face.

12. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

FYI - I've found the mastering on Japanese pressings to be much better than the U.S. pressings. Clearer, with better bass.

Jrr and Chemguy like this.
  13. skyblue17

skyblue17 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here At Last is one of the ones that was always on my radar but somehow never really made it to my ears. I remember there always being a copy at the Coconuts where I bought my music, but it "expensive" as a double CD back when I was still saving a few bucks a pop by purchasing cassettes (my copies of Gold, Greatest and the SNF soundtrack were all tapes!). Then One Night Only came out, so I went with that and somehow just never circled back to Here At Last until recently. My jaw actually dropped a few times at a few of those arrangements and vocals! It seems like it must have been a fantastic time to see them, right before they got super big yet already had a ton of great material and were in fantastic voice and backed by a full band.

VH3FAN and JeffMo like this.
  14. skyblue17

skyblue17 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I mentioned this earlier in the thread but as a "younger" fan (even though I myself am pushing 40), I never had the experience of buying brand new Bee Gees vinyl. Getting a fun limited edition version of a favorite album that I only have on CD or digitally is exciting to me.

Man at C&A, Jrr, George Cooke and 2 others like this.
  15. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Some of the vocals were fixed at La Château d'Hérouville in France in the spring of '77. The raw, unpolished recordings have been available through Wolfgang's Vault.

skyblue17 and JeffMo like this.
  16. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

They should remaster that picture - those white teeth!

17. George Cooke

George Cooke Well unknown member

Brilliant observation! Made me giggle.

18. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

New, unopened copies of the originals for cheap? Links please!

Monkadee and skyblue17 like this.
  19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Why, buy them all at once of course! Actually, most would agree Main Course is their finest album. And it probably has the most to gain from a remaster if the actual tapes are being used. Children Of The World was also very difficult to get a decent master of, so that would be my personal second choice (I do have amazing copies of all their albums but those were the toughest to find). I will get Spirits out of curiosity, but I doubt any of these will beat my best 70’s copies, especially if they use digital files.

20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Reconsider Children Of The World unless you’re sure you have a good copy. The only good sounding copy I have ever heard is a true audiophile edition, labeled as such, that I think came out of Japan. RSO used pretty crummy masters for all the US copies I have ever heard and trust me, I’ve heard no fewer than 10. The audiophile version has the trumpets in You Should Be Dancing blazing out of the speakers, just like I suspected they were recorded all along, but never heard on any US copy on either SNF or any mastering of COTW in the US. Doesn’t mean the reissue will be as good, but even if digital files are used it will likely be better. Main Course, as someone else said, is usually just okay and a lot of the pressings are noisy. Hopefully we are all in for a treat!

21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

If they don’t, I was able to find them, up to Still Waters, as imports. But they crammed Size/Everything and High Civilization on one album so at around 30 minutes per, they are compromised but still a big improvement over cds. Those albums didn’t sell well, so I don’t know that we’ll see them. But I bet we’ll see Still Waters as it did reasonably well here, and all over the world.

22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Reconsider Children Of The World unless you’re sure you have a good copy. The only good sounding copy I have ever heard is a true audiophile edition, labeled as such, that I think came out of Japan. RSO used pretty crummy masters for all the US copies I have ever heard and trust me, I’ve heard no fewer than 10. The audiophile version has the trumpets in You Should Be Dancing blazing out of the speakers, just like I suspected they were recorded all along, but never heard on any US copy on either SNF or any mastering of COTW in the US. Doesn’t mean the reissue will be as good, but even if digital files are used it will likely be better. Main Course, as someone else said, is usually just okay and a lot of the pressings are noisy. Hopefully we are all in for a treat!
    Well, I think the labels got the message that buyers of vinyl want well mastered versions. I’ve been very encouraged by some reissues on vinyl lately, and even on some mainstream albums where the vinyl is far better than the digital copies. Let’s see how they sound!

Chemguy likes this.
  23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I think the CD as a format has had it’s day, except for big releases, which these aren’t. And they have rereleased them on CD a time or two, though not remastered (which is probably a good thing...and we don’t know yet if it’s even a good thing in this case). Maybe this will be the thing that gets you into a turntable?:D

24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I think from what I read vinyl has just surpassed cds in sales, though not much of anything is probably going to sell for a while with all the panicked craziness going on right now.

25. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Vinyl makes more money, because it’s so expensive. But CDs are still outselling vinyl by a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.