Bee Gees' Reissues On the Way!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by skyblue17, Mar 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Unfortunately I think you’re right, but if you do a little searching those two albums were really well recorded, with a ton of bass, so it isn’t too hard to get an original good copy. You know, it’s a bummer because I bet a box set will eventually come out and then, as usual, I will have already bought it all individually.

Hadean75 likes this.
  2. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Speak of the devil, err, the cow.
    The promo Cookie Jar.
    Would love one of these!
    [​IMG]

3. Castle in the air

Castle in the air Forum Resident

The first record I ever bought was Living Eyes and it was unplayable so took it back and got another one that was at least something that did not skip or repeat (the old record player likely a factor too).

At that point only Main Course on were still to be found in the record stores along with some novelty ones so no idea what their pressing history was.
    Bee Gees Gold and the single disc reissue of Odessa were the best of the RSO lot that I found.

JeffMo likes this.
  4. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Very true. I was always amazed at how beautifully mastered albums on the Elektra Records label seemed to be but how noisy the vinyl was. Very frustrating. And every 45 I bought on the Arista label seemed to be made from recycled vinyl — very noisy with visible pieces of paper or some foreign matter embedded in the grooves. No question some labels had a practice of using inferior vinyl. Columbia and Capitol were consistently good.

Jrr likes this.
  5. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

I bought this 2004 Too Much Heaven 3CD promo set a while back, but I rarely play it...in my opinion, the sound quality is terrible - the songs all sound normalized, a bit sterile and the volume level is brickwalled. I bought it mainly for disc 3 and the "Love Is Blind" demo is almost worth the price of the set by itself, but the overall audio quality was disappointing to me.

FACE OF BOE and Jarleboy like this.
  6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That’s what I had. Didn’t know the top came off!

7. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I bought the CD set a few years ago, and I can´t remember whether I played it! I think I did, and I was not impressed with the sound, IIRC, but... Nice to have the edits, and the extra tracks.

8. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Yes, the 3CD promo still has some merit for the edits, the "Love Is Blind" demo, Barry's "Shine Shine" from Now Voyager and the entire disc 3 of course, but the audio does have big problems.

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. Jarleboy

I need to reacquaint myself with this set. I was eager to get it, but stored it away after I had - I think! - played some of the tracks. Could be a fun re-discovery. :agree:

I don´t need the set for "SHINE SHINE". I am one of the few people on here who actually loves "NOW VOYAGER" just as much as the group efforts. It may be a tad slighter on melody on some tracks, but I do love the almost polyrhythmic approach on some of the tracks. Songs like "I AM YOUR DRIVER", "FINE LINE" and "SHATTERPROOF" continue their excursions into funk, and some of the ballads are lovely - "SHE SAYS", "FACE TO FACE". I play this album quite a bit, and I still love it for what it is. A worthy inclusion to the Gibb brothers´ discography, I am alone in thinking. And that´s fine.

Futurecity, JeffMo and Jrr like this.
  10. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

For what it is worth, it might be worth checking out Canadian pressings of the Bee Gees 70s catalogue. Polydor's Canadian pressings were always good in my opinion.

The same applies to MCA Canada releases - they typically used the same stampers as US pressings, but I believe the vinyl quality was superior.

A&M - ditto MCA comments.

CBS Canada did their own mastering, but I liked their vinyl.

WEA used various pressing plants.

Capitol used RCA and CBS pressing plants until around 1978 when they set up their own plant. It might just be me, but I was never a fan of the vinyl Capitol used for it's pressings.

Jrr likes this.
  11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That has an incredible track list! Better than that Mythology set imo.

Jarleboy likes this.
  12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

. You’re not alone, maybe just lonely!
    I like it too, but it’s awfully quirky to say the least and it’s no surprise it isn’t loved. Because I like the video for Stay Alone, I like the song a lot. There are many good songs, some okay and then the seemingly obligatory slog with the last track (The Hunter) along the lines of the only dud on Spirits imo, Until, though not quite as bad. I have the laserdisc video for Now Voyager. All I can say is I bet MCA would love to have their money back for producing it. I guess I just don’t get British humor. One weird package of videos. But then again, trying to tie an entire album together with a long themed video rarely works, aside from maybe ONJ’s Physical package.

Jarleboy likes this.
  13. Jarleboy

Yes, it´s very quirky - and that may be the reason I like it. It comes out of left field, in a way, compared to the usual Bee Gees stuff. (Not that I don´t LOVE that stuff!) "SHINE SHINE" is the closest he gets to a Bee Gees pop song, but the rest is o worse for not being typical Bee Gees fare. I even love "THE HUNTER". A bit grandiose, but not quite as self-indulgent as "UNTIL", IMO. Anyway, a great pop record that I play quite a lot.I almost bought the video album on DVD a few years back, but somehow I never got round to actually buying it. I regret that now - I now it´s whimsical and probably silly, but I do want to see it.

14. Jarleboy

Oh yes, it´s an interesting release. I´ll have to investigate the sound of it. Maybe tonight? Not a terrible chore, I admit.

JeffMo and Rick Bartlett like this.
  15. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

I've opened sealed records that were warped from the shrink wrap.

Geoffsterpiano likes this.
  16. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I'm excited! All of these Bee Gees titles are classic albums. I'll buy them all if they are all pressed in Optimal.

17. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Bought the VHS from Melody Line in Gothenburg many, many moons ago. I actually managed to dig up the receipt of it as well. Picked up the DVD when that was released, pleased that it contained the making of as well but I think we were all expecting a remaster of the album and not the video album. Barry wasn't awfully explicit in the chatroom when it was announced. Never got around getting the laserdisc of it.

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. Jarleboy

I found a copy for sale on Amazon.co.uk. I couldn´t help myself... It´s now on its way to Norway. :righton:

19. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Jarleboy likes this.
  20. Jarleboy

Very. :agree:

21. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Has Bee Gees Live been remastered for CD? I still have my fatboy disc, which I haven’t played in ages, but would do so tonight.

JeffMo likes this.
  22. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

After receiving my own "special" 25% off code last week, uDiscover music now has a 30% off sale for everyone else:

Bee Gees – uDiscover Music

Jrr and Duophonic like this.
  23. skyblue17

skyblue17 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Man, I already ordered mine.

24. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I sent them an email asking to cancel my previous order and place a new one with the extra discount. We'll see if they do the right thing.

25. skyblue17

skyblue17 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've only pre-ordered two, so let me know if they do that! If they do, I might try to do that and add a third.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.