Belinda Carlisle Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Shak Cohen, Feb 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone bought any of these??

I believe the albums that have been reissued are:

Heaven On Earth
    Runaway Horses
    Live Your Life Be Free
    Real

Also, Belinda's recent LP, Wilder Shores, is out on LP, with a bonus 7" of "Why/Superstar" attached. And a double LP hits compilation, The Collection, is also available.

These are coloured vinyl, 180g pressings, they've been released by Demon. I'd like to know how good they sound, and what the pressing quality's like, particularly in comparison with the originals.:cool:

Purple likes this.
  2. Shak Cohen

Well I went ahead and bought Wilder Shores. At a a price of £12.50, and including a bonus 7" single, it seemed foolish to turn it down.

After trying out my range of cartridges/stylii on a brief section of the record, I settled on the Reloop/Ortofon PRO S, tracking at 3g, and sat down to listen.
    The vinyl is nice and quiet, with no defects detected, and the mastering is lovely - sounds much more organic than the streams of this album I've been checking out. Vocals more forward, instruments less brittle and compressed sounding. The packaging is wonderful, and anyone interested in Belinda would be delighted to own this. The 7" sounds nice too, and is a great bonus - fine new original song, and a lovely Carpenters cover...

Impressed so far, I may go ahead and pick up one of the older reissues next...:righton:

Purple and Sci-Flyer like this.
  3. Sci-Flyer

Sci-Flyer Forum Resident

I have the coloured vinyl box set of reissues LPs and the Heaven on Earth vinyl box set and have been happy with both.

Haven’t bought the individual coloured vinyl LPs that were issued after the boxset even though I think they were done on different colours of vinyl. A bit of overkill!

Bought Wilder Shores on RSD last year and paid about double that price on the day. Makes you wonder whether it’s worth buying RSD releases when many can be picked up more cheaply afterwards. Saying that very happy with the LP and bonus 7” set.

Shak Cohen and Man at C&A like this.
  4. Shak Cohen

Cool. Have you owned any originals btw, and compared them to these newbies? They came out at the "end" of the vinyl era, and were 120g pressings, and hardly a sonic marvel (even though HoE and RH were recorded and mixed on high end equipment).

5. Sci-Flyer

Sci-Flyer Forum Resident

Yeah have all her originally pressed LPs except “Real” - never found a copy of that. But have the other 3 from the box set plus “Belinda”. The reissues overall sound good and hold up well to the originals. To my old ears there’s no significant difference or issues.

Amazon UK seem to be doing them relatively cheap so definitely work picking them up or the box set. In fact the black vinyl version of the box set is only £50 at the moment - not bad for 4 LPs. I see “Collection” is also be reissued on coloured vinyl later this month.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  6. Shak Cohen

Good to know. I think I'll pick up a copy of Runaway Horses in the next few days, don't know where my original went. Btw I have the original '93 vinyl of Real, which has always sounded very nice, probably much to do with the change in production values - less reverb on the drums etc...

Sci-Flyer likes this.
  7. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident

I lucked out on eBay last year and picked up the 4 LP black vinyl box for £30 new and sealed.

I was going to purchase "Real" because it was the only one I didn't have on vinyl and thought for the extra £10 I might as well have the box set.

Very happy with the pressings, sound quality etc.

Purple, Sci-Flyer and Shak Cohen like this.
  8. Shak Cohen

I got Runaway Horses yesterday, a green 180g pressing. Decent enough sound, with more "modern"/"sensible" EQ choices applied. I still slightly prefer my old UK Townhouse DMM cut (or indeed, old Nimbus CD).

Both this album and "Heaven On Earth" would be good candidates for 45RPM, analogue cut double LP reissues IMO, as they were both recorded and mixed on high-end analogue equipment.

Purple and pwhytey like this.
  9. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

I've been playing Runaway Horses and Heaven On Earth a lot since I picked up these coloured vinyl reissues. They really are quality releases and I'm super glad I own them. I'm considering ordering Live Your Life Be Free as a result - or would that be a Belinda step too far? I know the singles from that album, but am unfamiliar with the rest of the record.

Purple likes this.
  10. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

"Live Your Life..." is my favorite of Belinda's albums from that period!

pwhytey likes this.
  11. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

'Do You Feel Like I Feel' is such a great pop song, so it's probably worth buying for that track alone. Plus, I'm a sucker for red vinyl.

12. pghmusiclover

The title song is one of Belinda's greatest tracks, in my opinion!

Purple likes this.
  13. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

Anthemic! Alright, clearly I didn't need much convincing. I just ordered it online.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  14. pghmusiclover

:love:

15. MackKnife

MackKnife Well-Known Member

Heaven & Runaway I already have on legacy Vinyl. Live Your Life & Real look interesting.
    Best live concert of hers I own is Runaway Live on Laserdisc .. sounds better than DVD (own both) .. go figure.

16. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I was impressed with my clear vinyl copy of Real and have ordered up Life Your Life Be Free as the original vinyl is cut at a low level and on my system at least the vinyl roar is intrusive on some the songs intros

17. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

Could anyone comment whether: 1) "We Want The Same Thing" is the UK (single version) or US version and 2) whether there's a sound difference between the box set black vinyl and individually released colored LPs?

Amazon has the black vinyl box for $65. The individual LPs run for about $23 a piece, making the box the better buy if you want more than 1. Of course, you would get stuck with Real, which is a very, very dull album.

18. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

Thought I'd bump this.

As an aside: new Runaway Horses in 3LP white vinyl found here (discussion here), and forthcoming boxsets for all, including the previously unreleased LP Woman and a Man here (discussion here).

pghmusiclover likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.