Benefit by Jethro Tull on 180 gram vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thomas Brophy, Oct 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I just got one at Rainbow in Newark Delaware, the only copy and I was the 6th in line.

I'm trying to get a copy of In Utereo. They had six in stock and the Ebay weasels who were in the front of the line got 'em all. They were looking on their smart phones to see what was hot all morning long before the store opened at eleven. Soon as the door open, they all hit the wall and cleaned it out. Nothing! They were knocking records all over the place like the locusts they are. One guy was standing in line with two Metallica boxsets, no sign up stating "one per customer". That truly blows. Rainbows new owners have dropped the ball bigtime, the original owner had all the extras behind the counter so the Ebay flippers wouldn't grab them all in one shot.

I have a sealed US Benefit if anyone wants to trade.

2. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Awesome...wonder why the UK one didn't.

3. marblesmike

TBH In Utero isn't going for much more than retail on ebay.

4. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

I haven't removed it from the sleeve yet.
    Too busy with the 5.1. lol

5. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

How do these compare to the original UK Chrysalis and US Reprise 2-tone vinyl versions?

Scott

6. marblesmike

It's a completely different mix.

Hamhead likes this.
  7. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

The Lp is awesome sounding! Everything is soooooooo clear compared to either the UK or US originals.

Munger74 likes this.
  8. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

For me the answer is easy. All else being equal vinyl sounds better on my system. So if the LP and DVD/BluRay are both flat transfers from the same exact source I would opt for the LP

9. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Anywhere from $65-$125.

The label is interesting, did I miss something?
    Chrysalis is part of EMI and they were bought by Universal, how did it end up with a Reprise label?

Besides they used the 2nd label design, here's the one from my old copy.
    [​IMG]

ParloFax and apple-richard like this.
  10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Steve Wilson does a good job but on the King Crimson DVDA's I still prefer the originals to the new mixes. On that basis I will pass as I have a green label Chrysalis ILPS UK pressing.

Chrysalis is part of the Parlophone package that was transferred to Warner Bros by Universal due to EU competition rules - would explain the use of Reprise rather than Island which is part of Universal. This is going to send me on a rant about another UK company being destroyed by bankers and EU interference !

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  11. marblesmike

You're missing out.

12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

That's what worries me and spells hi-fi and digital sounding. An AAA audiophile quality pressing is surely more desirable given the difficulty of finding and price of original UK .

13. marblesmike

No this one sounds warm. Not overly clinical.

14. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Sorry to disagree. I just listened to the RSD vinyl, and I wouldn't call it warm on my system. It sounds excellent, but not what I would call warm.

ssmith3046 and zongo like this.
  15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Any need to upgrade to the vinyl if I already have the deluxe cd/dvd set?

16. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Anyone have both the RSD US and UK issues, and played them yet? Very pleased with the UK and tempted on the RSD US as there seems to be still some available. Curious if there's any sound differences....

17. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

I agree. Not warm, but not harsh either. Less warm than the original mix on original vinyl for sure.

18. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Is the blu-ray hi-Rez audio? Same tracks as the deluxe cd?

19. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I know what you mean but sounding "warm" means different things to different people. I have all analog records that are 40 years old that don't sound warm and never did. It does sound excellent though.

20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I have only played the lp once (so far) after owning and playing the cd/DVD set for weeks.
    The first time I played the cd, the opening track, With You There To Help Me had some really prominent rhythm guitar
    that was deeper in the mix on the original U.S. lp. Although I appreciate the "clarity" of hearing that rhythm guitar, it's too forward imo for the song. So I was really paying attention when I played the lp and I was pleasantly surprised at how that rhythm guitar was receded in its proper place. You, can still hear it quite clearly but it is no longer as loud as the cd. I bought the lp because my analogue is better than my digital and it is my favorite Tull album, first heard and all that. I don't regret it a bit. I will enjoy my digital versions when it makes sense and listen to the vinyl when I'm really sitting and paying attention.

Munger74, j4yheindeo and marblesmike like this.
  21. marblesmike

Ok, I meant that it sounded warmer than it sounded overly clinical. Not the warmest LP I've ever owned, but definitely not the most sterile either. I'm just going by the UK version. I haven't had a chance to spin the RSD US tracklisting version yet. I'm assuming they sound the same.

22. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

My RSD U.S. track list LP has non-fill issues :realmad: and my local store doesn't have any more copies (for an exchange).

Does anyone have contact info (email address[es], direct phone number) to Rhino / Warner Bros. Customer Service peeps to see if I can get a replacement from them?

Thanks.

23. marblesmike

Doesn't this mean that all copies will have it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.