Benny Goodman "Sing Sing Sing (With A Swing)" at Carnegie Hall, Jan. 16, 1938*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JamieC, Jan 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member Thread Starter

It was live in 1938, and was not intended to be heard after that night. But Anita Ward's husband wanted a recording of the show as a gift for her, so through a convoluted primitive process 75% of the concert was recorded and then because of the recording contracts of the various guests in the band it could not be released commercially. Benny's copies sat in a closet for years.

For all of the superstar players Gene Krupa drives the tune like he's playing with sledgehammers, slamming the back beat and inspiring generations of drummers.

The late Cub Koda called it rock and roll because it swung and was LOUD. I cannot argue with the Cubster(RIP).

Check out the band:
    The Benny Goodman Orchestra
    Additional personnel
    for more on the recording of the concert
    http://www.jitterbuzz.com/carcon.html

2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Great. Thanks for posting.

3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Also notable for the introspective piano solo, unusual for jazz at the time, from Jess Stacy near the end.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Check out the amazing Jess Stacy piano solo (not planned but perfectly ad-libbed).

Oops, already covered by pbuzby.

Note that this concert was first released in the 1950's, when it was only a faint memory to the players, including Benny. But when it was issued on LP it was such a surprise hit that it actually resparked a big band resurgence around the world, including movies, radio and records. More than nostalgia, a true renaissance of big band jazz.

Dino, Mr. Bob Dobalena and Zeki like this.
  5. zen

zen Senior Member

6. svoegtlin

svoegtlin Forum Resident

I LOVE LOVE this album.. The cornerstone of my musical foundation.

bluemooze likes this.
  7. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

It's always been fun to play this one for my rocker friends who profess to hate jazz, just to watch their reactions.

Alan G., Sneaky Pete and JamieC like this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

That was very nicely done. Seeing that little bit at the end where it really was Gene wailing at the end of SING SING SING was truly tremendous for me, many thanks. Do you see the lucky "overflow" audience seated on the left and right of the stage? Wish it could have been me with them.

I first was clued to this version in college, working at KPFK radio at nights and the classical music director was playing it in his office. That started me down the road of discovery of music past. Made quite an impression on me. It's been about 12 years since I've heard SING SING SING and I listened to it twice in the past 1/2 hour, first in the OP's clip and then in the video clip by zen. It's lost none of its power to me. I can hear so much of "modern" jazz in it, I'm sure this was studied by many of our jazz favorites. The influence of just this one version of this one song would have been enough to totally re-evaluate what the Swing Era was all about. That Jess Stacy solo, geez, like something from the future, like Monk would play. The best.

9. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

On two different occasions I had this playing in my Office when younger co-workers came in and asked what it was. They also then used the App on their iPhones that identifies music by matching a sample. Both subsequently purchased a copy.

Great music, stays great!

Jimbino, xj32, Zeki and 1 other person like this.
  10. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Swing and jump blues begat the boogie woogie of rock and roll. The Stones' "Rip This Joint" and Bill Haley's "Rock Around the Clock" chug along much like "Sing Sing Sing".

trumpet sounds likes this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Just for the record (pun), you forgot Lionel Hampton, Teddy Wilson, etc.

zen likes this.
  12. CDJones

CDJones Explorer of the fine aural experience.

That was aaawwwesoooome!

13. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Chips Ahoy!

14. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I believe I have a '50s pressing of this. That "Sing Sing Sing" medley is hot hot HOT!

15. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

Funny thing is, this concert was recorded with the CBS mics, even though the concert wasn't broadcast! The mics were still in place from the Philharmonic broadcast that afternoon.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  16. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

How did the "primitive recording process" get such great sound?? What did they record on? Disks? Wire? Film?

17. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I love this stuff. Gene Kruppa was a powerhouse. Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller were the Beatles and Stones of the era.

Zeki and trumpet sounds like this.
  18. JamieC

I left them off because they were only on the trio and quartet numbers.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  19. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

I have a special place in my heart for this music. About a year before he died, I was driving around with my dad when he popped this into the CD player and said "You love music. You need to hear this. It's one of the best recordings ever made." I sat with my jaw hanging listening to Krupa pound away, Goodman make his clarinet sing and then that astonishing Jess Stacy solo. I never shared a lot of music with my did -- he was big band and I was punk -- so to be turned on to something so wonderful by him is something I treasure. I think of him whenever I hear it.

head_unit, brother1002, xj32 and 9 others like this.
  20. JamieC

Check the link at the bottom of the OP.

21. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

On my radio show, I play this about twice a year, as a special treat for my listeners. I know when it's time to play it because folks start calling in for it. And I know whose never heard it before based on how the phones light up when it's over. This is music that touches everyone who hears it.

22. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

One of my top five pieces of music in the world!

23. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Such an amazing piece of music! Love this so much. I have a great copy of the studio version on a 12" Victor 78 which is a blast to play, but this live version is otherworldly.

Dan c

24. Alert

Alert Forum Resident

Gene Krupa had two sets of drums on the stage at Carnegie Hall that night?

25. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Is there a consensus as to the best release of this show? I think at one point I had this version, but my recollection was that it was terribly processed (lots of noise reduction). Are there any improved versions to be had?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.