Berlin: any love?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by erikdavid5000, Sep 15, 2016.

1. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I only know 2 of their songs - Metro and Take My Breath Away and like them both.

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I just went back to the Berlin best of...and it still sounds good to me...Sure, it's 80s all the way, but in a good way. Tuneful and catchy...

I only skipped one song...Take My Breath Away...which is decent enough for what it is, but I've heard it too often and it was never my favorite Berlin moment in the first place. I realize the remakes on the best of are fan fodder, but I prefer the originals of Matter of Time and All Tomorrow's Lies. Blowin' Sky High is really good, though, and makes me wish they could have kept it together longer.

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  3. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Isn't Matter of Time the original? I think it's a vinyl rip on the Best of Berlin CD.

4. RevUp64

RevUp64 Forum Resident

If you can find it, the band's 1980 debut album Information, with vocals by Virginia Macolino is a curious listen.

5. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Saw them live opening for Frankie Goes To Hollywood back in the 80s.
    Of course everyone was waiting for Take My Breath Away which was the final song they played.

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Hmmm...You may be right. The version I was familiar with prior to the Best Of was the version that IRS included on a promo sampler ("Best of IRS Records Vol 1"). But maybe that was the remake :)

7. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

In answer to the thread title - None! Next question!!!

8. Giulio 2

Giulio 2 Forum Resident

Yes, much. Terri Nunn's vocals have, to my ears, an extraordinary timbre and elocution. Elegant, yet powerful.

Berlin's music is romantic. John Crawford's lyrics featuring love, lust and loss.

Their first album, Pleasure Victim, featured comparatively skittish songs, with alienation a recurring theme; Tell Me Why, Masquerade, The Metro, World of Smiles, Torture.

Berlin's second album: 'Love Life' is more assured and mellow. This is Berlin's most consistent album, with excellent album tracks such as 'Fall', 'All Tomorrow's Lies' and 'Rumour of Love' (sung by John Crawford).

Their third album, 'Count Three and Pray' is more guitar oriented and forceful, with the synths taking a back seat. There's a note (excuse the pun) of exasperation thematically, with songs such as 'You Don't Know', 'Will I Ever Understand You', 'Trash' & 'When Love Goes to War'.

It's well know that the success of the Georgio Morodor song 'Take My Breath Away' lead to the break-up of the Band, due to differences in musical direction from Berlin's material. I'm wondering whether the tone of 'Count Three and Pray' (and also the title of the album), asks whether due recognition has been given to the Band?

Why wasn't Berlin more successful? Was it because the risque video of 'Sex' led them to being typecast, and perceived to be of image rather than substance? Was it because their music was perhaps more European than American in style and presentation?

I believe that with John Crawford, Berlin's produced some of the classiest synth-pop music either side of the Atlantic. According to the Band, there'll be another album with John Crawford, rejoining after more than 30 years. I can't wait.

905, pinkrudy, Curveboy and 2 others like this.
  9. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

"Count Three And Pray" was an underrated album, and showed just how great a band Berlin was -- and seeing them in concert twice confirmed that beyond my wildest dreams. I knew I liked them, but they -- and Terri especially -- were amazing live!

carlwm, erikdavid5000 and davers like this.
  10. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

This past week I bought Pleasure Victim, Love Life and Count Three And Pray on vinyl. Having a big Berlin kick atm, any news on their current plans for recording together again?

Purple likes this.
  11. Giulio 2

Giulio 2 Forum Resident

12. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

DesertHermit and fsutall like this.
  13. synthfrog

synthfrog Forum Resident

Favorite track by far, fantastic vocals and great melody.

Blimpboy likes this.
  14. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Yeah, that first EP, though I'm kind of sick of Sex (I'm a...).

15. sean monaghan

sean monaghan Forum Resident

Take My Breath Away is the only of theirs that I know. Though I love the song itself so that's not bad. Anybody have any good songs to recommend by them ?

16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I you like that one try:

You Don't Know
    Heartstrings
    Pink & Velvet
    Now It's My Turn
    No More Words
    Masquerade
    The Metro

17. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

One of the closest to that one is “All Tomorrow’s Lies”

sean monaghan likes this.
  18. Looks like it'll be the core of the "classic" lineup (Nunn, Crawford, Dave Diamond), instead of the young nobodies Nunn's toured around as Berlin over the past three decades, so that at least gives some hope it'll be decent.

Curveboy likes this.
  19. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

20. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I love The Metro

I think Terri auditioned to play Princess Leia as well.

Edit: yes she did

sunspot42 and Curveboy like this.
  21. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I really like them. My favorite song is No More Words.

Curveboy likes this.
  22. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I think they had an amazing run of songs up to their initial split. All the subsequent stuff and her solo album were patchy in my opinion. I’m hoping that this reunion of the original members means they’ll tap into their new wave/electro rock sound and make an album of punchy songs BUT with that article that the lyrics are “mature” with songs about adoption and other issues, I’m nt so sure. I think to try and make a mature album of songs about issues that concern them now may be what they want to do but I think at this stage of the game, fans want to hear them doing their classic sound and they’d be foolish to overlook that. I know this means being “trapped” and pigeon-holed and doesn’t allow them to grow, but surely the point of reforming is to celebrate the essence of what the band were. Terri Nunn doesn’t strike me as being someone afraid to “borrow” from acts like Blondie and they could certainly take some tips from Blondie’s latest comeback with Pollinator.

23. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

I just noticed this thread- for some reason I must have previously missed it. I always liked Berlin and felt that they were woefully underestimated and kind of had all of their material before and after eclipsed totally by the success of "Take My Breath Away". That always seemed to be a great shame to me. Personally, I always felt that TMBA stuck out like dog's balls on the Count Three and Pray record and should not have been included. Take that one out and it is a far improved album. I have nothing against the song itself and it is a fine vocal by Terri Nunn but it is so removed from their other material.

My favourites are Love Life, Count Three and Pray and the Pleasure Victim EP but I think Count Three and Pray is probably my most played album by them. I think Terri Nunn's voice is very underrated and she can really bring it live too. I always felt that on this last album before they broke up that she really came into her vocal peak and could really belt it out. I would welcome a new album but hope it is better than the last one and the solo record as I felt they really weren't up to snuff.

I might just pour myself a nice glass of whisky and have a bit of a Berlin listening fest tonight. :agree:

Purple, Tokyo Ghost, Surly and 2 others like this.
  24. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Their catalog needs some attention.

25. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Count Three is my fave, and I agree about TMBA. Some of those songs on the album are obvious hits that didn’t happen simply because of that damn song! And yes, it’s a fantastic vocal from Terri. She sang it from a place of deep loneliness apparently and you can really hear it.

DesertHermit likes this.