Bert Jansch talks about his right-hand guitar technique

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jasobr, Sep 26, 2022.

1. jasobr

jasobr Forum Resident Thread Starter

While I was a teenager learning to play guitar in the early '70s, I heard an acoustic guitar instrumental on one of Detroit's FM radio stations. The announcer said it was a track from John Renbourn's Sir John a lot, and I was knocked out. It changed my perception of what acoustic guitar playing could be. I went right out and bought the album, which I have loved ever since. John's solo work, naturally, led me to Pentangle and Bert Jansch -- a lifetime of great listening there! I recently revisited an interview I did with Bert in 1992 for Guitar Player magazine, and put together a YouTube video of him explaining aspects of his right-hand guitar technique. I thought guitarists on this forum might enjoy hearing Bert talk about how he developed his style:

2. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Very interesting, thanks. I have been ripping off Jansch chops for years, this should help.

janschfan and linklinc1 like this.
  3. janschfan

janschfan Senior Member

That was wonderful....Thank you so much, Jas! I'm 67 now, but when I was 15, I snuck into a Pentangle soundcheck in Bloomington, Illinois. They not only didn't throw us out, but they talked to us, answered our questions, and were very kind to some young kids...Whenever I hear Bert's voice, or see a video of him, I fly back through the decades to that afternoon...I've loved and followed his music ever since. I'm waiting,somewhat patiently, for Bert's BBC sessions to be released in a few weeks!!

Greenalishi and hi_watt like this.
  4. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

Thanks! He is always on my playlist for a few works.

Greenalishi likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that was excellent! thanks for posting this...

6. Natural E

Natural E Forum Resident

Wonderful stuff.

Greenalishi likes this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Remember to order your copy!

Just Announced: Bert Jansch ‘Bert At The BBC’

Bert Jansch ‘Bert At The BBC’
    Earth Recordings release limited edition 4LP/8CD set with 40-page book containing 147 rare & unreleased tracks – live on air spots, sessions & full concerts originally broadcast from the BBC.

Expansive book includes contributions from broadcasters, producers & performers inc. Lauren Laverne, Jools holland, Stuart Maconie, Mark Radcliffe, Johnny Marr, Bernard Butler & more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Long Live Analog and Natural E like this.