Best 1960s TV Series ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Sep 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

Star Trek

Larry Geller, Doug_B and alexpop like this.
  2. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

Hard to characterize "best"; I'd have to go with "Star Trek" as my decade favorite, perhaps with "The Prisoner" and "Mission: Impossible" close behind. Lots of quality espionage series in the 60's, no doubt my favorite genre of the decade.

Doug

Motorcity supernaut and alexpop like this.
  3. Pratt

Pratt Forum Resident

The first season was in '59 but I still consider it a 60s series...The Twilight Zone.

4. Timothy Aborn

Timothy Aborn Forum Resident

For westerns, Gunsmoke, Have Gun, Will Travel and Cheyenne.
    For comedies, Andy Griffith (b/w era), Dick Van Dyke, The Munsters and Bewitched (Dick York).
    And those are just the ones I can think of.

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

way too many to list! best decade for TV shows ever!

ssmith3046, Gramps Tom and skisdlimit like this.
  6. Michael

exactly...the bulk was in the 60's...

7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

What happened to the goldies?

8. Another vote for The Wild Wild West. Brilliant show.

9. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

After catching up with several episodes on GritTV cable channel I've got to say "The Virginian" has got to be one of the most underrated tv westerns. It's surprising me how some of this show's writing deals with social issues like racism and prejudice not in obvious fashion. Even though it's your over polished, clean look western, the writing, direction and cinematography of The Virginian is just stunning. The camera and lighting work of quite a few scenes is better than some movies.

One episode was about French Canadian Cree Indians migrating to the US some speaking french that dealt with the town's prejudice of their oddness and misfit looks and behavior. They were being grilled by the hotel manager attempting to refuse them room and board.

A frail thin woman of some wealth and culture was making suggestive looks at the biggest one as advances attempting to entrap him that spoke French directly to her (just to be careful) that got him accused of raping her later on when all he did was cut off part of her hair because he was testing her. The accused Cree who spoke French confronted her where she says this line to him..."Your dominant masculine authority disgusts me!"

...whaaah?! Who would think of writing a line like that as a comeback in a TV western?

And then there's a cavalcade of top shelf actors that play episodic parts such as Lee J Cobb, George Kennedy, Charles Bronson, Ed Begley and Robert Redford among others. Some of the episodes even have a broadway play tone and pace to them. I never knew The Virginian was like this but then I was 9 years old when this series ran and I wasn't interested in TV westerns, not even Gunsmoke.

[​IMG]

Hoyt, Kyle B, John B Good and 2 others like this.
  10. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

Doctor Who
    Avengers
    Thunderbirds
    Captain Scarlet
    Prisoner

11. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Mission: Impossible
    The Avengers

EG.

12. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

The Fugitive
    Burke's Law
    The Andy Griffith Show (but really only the first four seasons)

PonceDeLeroy and alexpop like this.
  13. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Of course they are all series in the strictest sense, how could they not be? :)

14. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Rat Patrol" is currently airing on the H&I network if I remember correctly. (If not H&I, some other cable channel, but it's on as of late.) Also, I seen that Walmart is selling the complete series of "Rat Patrol" these days. So, it's still around.

15. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

The Adventures Of Rocky and Bullwinkle

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Hollywood Cowboy ( Andy Griffith)

17. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Thanks for the update. My GI Joe jeep fell apart years ago and I think most of the Joes of my generation either got immolated on the family barbecue or are hanging from a telephone wire somewhere, so I'll probably give it a pass, but it's nice to know it's there if you want it.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  18. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

From wikipedia:
    Television show - Wikipedia
    A television show is also called a television program (British English: programme), especially if it lacks a narrative structure.
    A television series is usually released in episodes that follow a narrative, and are usually divided into seasons (US and Canada) or series (UK) – yearly or semiannual sets of new episodes.

By the above definition, it appears that Monty Python's Flying Circus might be more accurately called a "show" (as would Rowan and Martin's Laugh In) rather than a "series" but will leave this for the more pedantic among us to sort out. Also, there is some question as to what actually qualifies as being specifically from the 1960s; I tend to agree with Pratt that The Twilight Zone seems more like a 60's series despite debuting in the 50's (Rocky and Bullwinkle likewise falls into this category), and had almost included both in my list, but instead considered programs that debuted in the 60's even though they may be more 70's identified (i.e. Monty Python, H.R. Pufnstuf, Sesame Street, etc.).
    I'd say this is the statement I agree with most! :righton:

Grand_Ennui and Michael like this.
  19. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Oh, good call on “The Virginian”. The episode quality can vary (they were cranking out a lot of content every season, given the number of episodes and ninety-minute length). But the good ones are very good. And it was an expensive-looking series at a time when “Bonanza” and “Gunsmoke” were doing a lot of scenes against plywood scenery.

Curiosity and Tim Lookingbill like this.
  20. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

And the opening theme was quite catchy and energetic with a cinematic grandeur and style of "The Big Country" movie. But I had forgotten all these years how it sounded.

It's funny but I can't think of "The Best" of the '60's TV series even though I do remember watching TV back then. Most of the ones I can remember I watched in the '70's. I remember at that time I'ld listen for the ending theme of The Virginian, a TV series I thought was boring that told me that either Night Gallery was coming up next or some other show I wanted to see.

My parents started using me as their personal TV Guide on what was coming on next. I always knew and let them know standing close to their Lazy Boy's when Happy Days, Night Gallery, The Wild, Wild West and Dark Shadows was coming on and not to switch the channel.

Kyle B likes this.
  21. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Star Trek
    Bewitched
    The Twilight Zone
    The Monkees

.....and many, many more. :agree:

22. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

I bought the complete series a couple of years ago and must admit it wasn't nearly as good as I thought it was when I was a young sprite; same way I felt when I bought The Adventures of Beany & Cecil.

23. Michael

Indubitably! : )

skisdlimit likes this.
  24. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Well-Known Member

I'm into sitcoms from that era, so the top ones for me would be The Dick van Dyke Show, The Lucy Show, The Munsters and Bewitched. Dick van Dyke is probably the best.

25. bluearmy78

bluearmy78 Living in real gangster times.

Captain Scarlet
    The Saint
    Joe 90
    The Avengers
    Thunderbirds

Andy Saunders and Curiosity like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.