Best affordable TV screen currently available?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

OLED may be best (their color contrast and color richness is unparelled for me), but the quality control has been an issue. Pixel issues, burn in, among other things constantly show up in the first couple of years. I was shocked how many issues owners are having with TVs only a couple years old. I'm on the LG OLED facebook group and the amount of problems is staggering to me. LG OLEDs won't last very long without issues, so the investment is costly. Hard to argue with the picture quality though. I prefer Sony's motion processing the best for OLED, so I prefer Sony. Samsung's are definitely more vivid (brighter), which is a positive or negative depending on your preferences. Just my 2 cents though. That said, 4k Sony LED's are really nice and relatively cheap.

2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Anybody here have any significant issues with their OLED? Not me. None.

3. Timeless Classics

Go on the Facebook OLED LG Fan Group page - a lot of issues reported. Much larger sample size than this forum. That said, when working, they are fantastic. I would go in expecting it not to last. Extended warranties are a must with the OLEDs as well based on many others I've spoken with. A lot will depend on usage as well. Hard to say since they've only been in mainstream production for a couple years. Hopefully the issues will be resolved with upcoming models next year. Out of curiosity, do you have the Sony or LG OLED?

Efus likes this.
  4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

How many is “a lot”? Dozens? Tens of thousands?

If you read these forums, you’d think it’s virtually impossible to get a decent vinyl record pressing from the number of complaints you’ll see (many of them nonsensical from the same pedantic people over and over).

Fan groups are magnets for squeaky wheel posts and are not particularly good proxies for the experience of the population/market at large.

Do you have an OLED?

5. Timeless Classics

I had one - LG OLED C8 and returned it. A lot of owners report pixel bleed, audio sync issues, and burn in. Many have changed over to LED - haven't counted, but here is one recent post:
    "Oled was so beuatiful but two brand new sets with issues :(
    Not really good enough, and the constant burn in talk here topped me over the edge...
    I had to send back my c9 due to audio sync issues, then I got an E9.
    That had panel issues and pixel bleed down one side.

This with the constant talk of burn in made me go back to Samsung again. I Got a q90r in the end as I can't trust lg [​IMG]:(
    Real shame as the picture is mind blowing, but if two brand new sets have this issue... What's it gonna be like further down the Road..."

I can only verify what's been reported, and there have been a lot of issues reported, but everyone will have to interpret it all for themselves. For me, it was enough to return my OLED. There was a poll also, about how many have experienced burn in issues with their OLED. Out of 300, about 50 reported issues. Having only been out a couple years, that is unacceptable in my case for the money it costs.

Shawn, supermd and SandAndGlass like this.
  6. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Plasma's where great in their time, but LED has come a long way. I remember how hot my Plasma TV's would get. No heat whatsoever from the LED!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Our LG C8 OLED blew out a power supply on me a couple of weeks ago, right in the middle of a session, with no warning. We were able to get a local service guy replace the module that allowed the set to power back up normally, but now the screen is littered with vertical burns. That's after about 4000' hours of use (there is an hour meter buried deep in the service menu).

4000 hours is less use than I had hoped for, but on the other hand, it only cost $2100. The C9 that replaced it was $1350, so there is that.

Our plan is to ring LG's chimes and see if they'll come through with a replacement OLED panel for the burned C8. To me, the panels should last at least 10,000 hours, but we'll see. Our original B7 from 2017 is still holding up fine and so we're temporarily limping by with that for now.

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

My ST doesn’t heat up, at best warm.

9. alexpop

I would get a projector for 3D availability, but have no space for a projector stand.

With all the 3D media still being made guess folk are still using their 3D TVs from a few years back to play them.

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

300 is a very small sample size. Not to mention it’s completely unscientific.

11. Timeless Classics

Burn is a known issue with OLED among all reviewers, owners, and retailers. Buyers need to be aware of pros/cons with each purchase and will need to make decisions best for them. Not trying to sway anybody either way. Everyone I've talked with stated the potential issues, but for many the pros (including the best picture quality on the market) outweigh the cons. For me, it did not. I don't know too many controlled randomized scientific trials of electronics. Tech changes too fast for that to occur. New models are released too rapidly. If one goes with the OLED (I wouldn't sway anyway not too; I love the picture quality.), I'd strongly recommended and extended warranty for these noted problems. Panel issues alone are known to fail in the first 3-5 years.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

And I’m just pointing that you will find problems with everything if you look hard enough.

13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I was alone in my house when I opened my 51" plasma. As I took it out of the box, I leaned back on my bed and the TV's weight was too much for me, and it crushed me under it. I was literally trapped under the TV! I was freaking out, since it was the screen itself pushing into my elbow, etc. I was able to slide out from under it, the whole time in fear I was going to crack or damage the screen. All is good now. :)

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, they're heavy. My partner and I loaded up the new C9 and drove it out to Burbank today to the calibration guy, and that thing is heavy & bulky enough (about 35 lbs.). Didn't drop it, but came close.

supermd likes this.
  15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I will be sure to spring for an extended warranty when I get around to buying one.

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I put my 42” panny plasma up on my bedroom wall by myself. NOT easy. Not smart either...

But it’s still there.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I don't know. .. I hanged my 55" plasma by myself onto the wall swivel bracket. Don't remember it being especially heavy.
    On the other hand my 34" CRT Panasonic is a brick. Two people are must to handle the beast.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

My mother always said that too much TV wasn't good for you :)

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

My 42” weighs something like 75lbs and my 50” weighed about 100lbs. You must be pretty strong to handle and hang an even bulkier and heavier unit...and not find it especially heavy.

I did hang mine high over a bedroom dresser which meant I had to lift it up higher than my head in order to slide it down onto the bracket. Fortunately I didn’t have a slip. But like I said...not smart.

CRTs are a different league entirely though...

20. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Just checked online out of curiosity : Panasonic Viera 55" plasma is only 28 kg. Maybe will check the manual later.

21. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I still have my plasma tv Panasonic from 2008, it works beautifully and my electric bill has not changed or gone higher.

formu_la, hi_watt and alexpop like this.
  22. alexpop

So am I getting this correct via various posts that expect 3 years for some fault to develop with LG OLEDS.,, burn in, parts replaced?

Even with extended guarantee. That’s a lot of hassle for me to contact dealer get them to come and repair it. Saying that I’m not a gamer, not even a tv program viewer. At this stage I’m thinking of just getting a off shelf cheap tv, watch and toss ( if faults occur). How ironic my 2002 Sony Wega 32” was still going strong in 2012. Two burly men came and took it away when delivering my 55” plasma.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There was a time I'd argue with you about that, but I just had an LG C8 blow up after about 4000 hours of use, so the reliability is questionable. The picture quality was flawless up until that time. Based on what I paid for it, that was about 50 cents an hour ($2000), so to me it's far from a total loss.

We are hammering LG for a replacement, and we'll see what they do. I might actually consider an extended warranty for the new one.

24. alexpop

Someone mentioned Sony (2019) model as being the best for reliability.
    Do Sony still make product in Japan?

25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Which is ~62lbs.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I bought mine about 10 or so years old. The specs say 73.8 lbs or something like that for the 42”.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.