Best Android music player.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Goat, Mar 7, 2021.

1. brentolie

brentolie El Aventurero

I use and love PULSAR. Super simple, but I think thats probably why I love it so much

2. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

I doubt it! I was being an ass

Goat likes this.
  3. Vincent Kars

Vincent Kars Forum Resident

Foobar Mobile
    Good options to navigate including the composer
    Lot of DSP possible including a crossfeed
    The Well-Tempered Computer

SeeDeeFirth likes this.
  4. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

I have tried nearly all the ones mentioned here (long story), and Poweramp is the champ for me. So, thirded.

AFOS likes this.
  5. tagomago

tagomago Original Wrapper

I use PlayerPro. Works best for me and I tried many

6. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

For years, agree.. esp with DragonFly Red.. but all of us sudden, "not compatible with your phone".. a Pixel 4A !!! Hoping fixed soon.

carrick doone likes this.
  7. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Power Amp
    Onkyo HF Player. Kinda neat I was able to pass 192 out of a cheap Amazon Fire tablet via USB using it. :laugh:

8. Coypu

Coypu Forum Resident

Hi-Fi Cast, great for music on your device and on your music server. It's worth getting the payed version for all the full facilities.
    Would highly recommend.

9. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I have a question about UAPP : I read it will allow me to control a upnp server from my android phone ? I am not interested to hear the files on my android phone, I just want to use my android phone to select and play files on my server (which is connected to my dac) ? If anyone can confirm if this is possible and works smooth (fast loading of my library)... because the web app that comes with my Cocktail audio (the upnp server) to control it is too slow to my liking.

10. I have only had my android phone a short time, dumped apple. The app that works best for me is "Samsung Music Player" . No ad's and it's free.

11. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Neutron all the way. The parametric EQ is worth the admission alone.

HenryFly, carrick doone and dkmonroe like this.
  12. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I installed MediaMonkey on my new phone recently too. It works nicely and you can install the free desktop version to sync with.

rednoise likes this.
  13. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Another vote for Poweramp...have used it on Galaxy S7 and an Asus tablet...great GUI, tons of customization, no issues with file type or library size. I also like how the Audio Info page will show you exactly what is happening in the playback chain... example from my tablet.

[​IMG]

14. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Onkyo HF Player.

I have used it for years and it has met my needs. There is a free version as well as a paid version.

15. Henrik_Swe

Henrik_Swe Well-Known Member

I had no idea this was default on Android. I wonder why that is. I assume there is no setting for it? I've certainly never seen one. Curious how some players manage to bypass it. I need to get a different player then, unless VLC and/or Hifi-Cast are among the apps that does not upsample.

16. Chordeater

Chordeater Forum Resident

I have compared PowerAMP (Hi-Res Audio) to UAPP (bit perfect) using high-end headphones and haven't been able to find any difference, they both sound just as great. And I much prefer the PowerAmp interface. Used in combination with Wavelet and its AutoEQ parametric headphone EQs it achieves extremely high sound quality levels.

rcsrich likes this.
  17. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

Goat likes this.
  18. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Forum Resident

Media Monkey works well for me. It's a great manager for digital files on the PC side, and the wireless sync to the phone is great. It also has a decent interface for the classical side of my collection, which is a struggle on many players.

rednoise likes this.
  19. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

This :righton:.

20. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

How much was it to buy? Their site don't seem to quote the price directly.

rcsrich likes this.
  21. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

The eq on Neutron is very good and I enjoyed it a lot.

22. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

UAPP can run as a UPNP server and UPNP renderer. But I haven't been able to get it to run as a UPNP controller to control other devices on the network. I don't think it can work as a controller. For UPNP controller use I use Bubble UPNP.

UAPP as a UPNP server can serve files that are local on the phone. The server doesn't seem to be able to add files from my NAS. I can play files from my NAS using USB Audio Player Pro, but it doesn't seem to be able to add those files to the library that the UPNP server serves.

My home audio network is based around JRiver Media Center. JRiver handles the local server, renderer and controller duties. I can see and access the JRiver library using UAPP and play any of the JRiver files I have using my phone for playback. It works. But for JRiver use I use the JRiver mobile apps (Gizmo or JRemote) as the controller. Gizmo and JRemote are fast and responsive when used as a controller app with JRiver Media Center acting as the server and renderer.

What USB Audio Player Pro is best at is being able to connect a USB DAC to my phone and be able to play music to that DAC at full native file resolution (PCM or DSD). I can play high-res files to a DAC and it will play bit-perfect with no resampling. And that's what I want. UAPP is also useful for when I go to audio meets or visit a dealer. I can put high-res files on my phone for demo use. And then play those demo tracks on different DACs that I want to try.

Ecki, HenryFly, Rob6899 and 1 other person like this.
  23. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Currently $4.99 on Google Play for the "unlocker" app that gets you the full version.

Uglyversal likes this.
  24. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Thanks for explaining. Regarding Bubble UPNP which I use from time to time as a UPNP controller...the only thing that I hate about it is that it only shows 'Artists' and no 'Album Artists' ? Or am I missing something ?!

Rob6899 likes this.
  25. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

USB Audio Player Pro for me now.

Omnia is very good as well (from the same team as Neutron I believe).

I like UAPP better due to its ability to play MQA (not that it makes much difference to me) and its neat DAC bypass-type feature when I can use it

HenryFly likes this.