Best Android music player.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Goat, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

That's the way Bubble is when playing local files. It doesn't seem to have a setting to do album artist when browsing local files.

I do see artists grouped as album artist when using Bubble UPNP to browse a UPNP library served by JRiver Media center. Bubble shows "artists" but it's album artist. That may be something that is controlled by the UPNP server application. Dig into the settings for you UPNP server application and see if it has a way of doing album artist as artist.

bever70 likes this.
  2. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Wavelet does exactly what you said it does. Thanks for the tip. The Wavelet AutoEq setting for my Sennheiser HD660s produces a fuller sound with Neutron music player than the integrated EQ profile created by the expert headfi-er Crinnacle, I've been using up to now.
    PowerAmp lacks UPnP and Tidal integration functionality so for playing local and network files Neutron is best and for Hi Res (MQA) streaming USBAudioPlayerPro is my preferred option. Wavelet is not UAPPro compatible.
    I just briefly installed PowerAmp to check the veracity of what I claimed above and nothing has changed as regards Media server rendering and streaming. Plus PA still upsamples to 48, whereas Neutron and UAPP can override the Android straightjacket in this regard.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    Chordeater likes this.
  3. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Foobar2000 now completely useless

Since the latest update Foobar2000 is no longer showing external or internal storage from where to start playing.

I never use libraries and playlists, just play from my MicroSD card or the local download folder. That used to work well, now impossible.

I also always preferred using the built-in Equalizer because it allowed more extreme settings than for instance Wavelet. Both of my earbud sets need pretty radical EQ to get some bass and dampen the high frequencies.

Since so many apps are mentioned here can somebody recommend an Android app that:
    - is free
    - also plays Hires files
    - can play from MicroSD and Download folder
    - has built in EQ, preferably with good personal settings
    - displays artwork jpg files named Folder

Thanks in advance

4. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

Might struggle to get all those features free.

I find Omnia is ok (I cant remember the cost), and of course USB Audio Player Pro is excellent but premium.

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  5. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Someone mentioned Onkyo HF Player, which seems to work, except for the Download folder, but I can work around that one.
    Haven't tried the EQ yet but it looks like you can save custom settings, which would be great for different earbuds/headphones.

Rob6899 likes this.
  6. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

I've been using Onkyo player for about two or three years and find it pretty decent. Unfortunately lately my phone (Nokia 7.2) upgraded to Android 11 and some apps, including Onkyo started shutting off unpredictably, so now I have to find a replacement which is really bugging me:realmad:.

7. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Been using a dedicated DAP (Fiio M7) for a couple of years now...works and sounds great!

JeffMo likes this.
  8. On_the_dunes

On_the_dunes Forum Resident

usb audio player uapp by far, for me

9. Dissidence

Dissidence Human

GoneMAD Music Player 2.0 on Android 4 Jelly Bean then Android 9 Pie
    Covers, Ogg Vorbis, Opus, FLAC etc. Preamp, EQs, Limiter, Balance etc.

10. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

You might try TEAC HR Player. It is free, has an EQ with ability to save settings, will play from MicroSD, plays hi res file, displays album artwork but not sure it will do it from Folder.

11. RJ

RJ Active Member

Is there an app that will play files stored on a cloud drive (e.g. OneDrive)? I use Poweramp, which does everything I require of it, but it can play files only if they are stored locally.

12. Olargues

Olargues Forum Resident

Media Monkey for Android.
    Already using Media Monkey for desktop.
    The two work well together.

rednoise likes this.
  13. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

That's my preference, too, but I think most people in this thread want an app that doesn't use the device's built-in DAC. That's irrelevant to me. I like the Mediamonkey Android interface and features. I don't really like Mediamonkey Windows much, but it works great for syncing music on the device with the computer. They make a good team.

Boltman92124 likes this.
  14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Feel similarly about my Sony Walkman (NW-A55) and it handles various file types and high res.

15. aerostace

aerostace Under the stairs, beneath the stars

I use FiiO Music on my Android phone. The app is free (no ads), supports ReplayGain and gapless playback, and has an attractive interface. It suits my needs and I haven't encountered any problems with it. Worth an audition.

trumpet sounds and Boltman92124 like this.
  16. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

It's interesting how few good programs are out there for local media players. Media Monkey is fine for my new Android. Works for me with a 256gb card loaded with music. It took a long time to read the big library initially though. Be patient. I downloaded Foobar's mobile app and it is a hot mess. Streaming apps are just for streaming. I'll look for that FiiO app and try it.