Best cartridge you've never heard of: the Audio-Technica AT33PTG/II

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by back2vinyl, Sep 17, 2013.

1. P3ESRXD

P3ESRXD Arnaud, still enjoying...with what I have

I had some trouble weighting cartridges with "jewellery" scales.
    I did remember that these cartridges have magnetic devices inside.

So to get rid of "magnetic field", I put on the scale a good thickness of plastic, foam or carboard (two cms are fine) , tare to compensate then I have better weighting cartridges.
    My two 33PTG/II are mounted, I'm too lazy to take one off the headshell to weight.

kt66brooklyn and mirnuj_atom like this.
  2. mtemur

mtemur Forum Resident

VTA of the cutter heads range from 16 to 22 degrees in general and only important when there is warp on the record. If you match your cartridge’s VTA with cutter heads’s then your cartridge will act same on vertical dimension on warps. But you can not change VTA without changing SRA and SRA is very important compared to VTA. Setting SRA to 92 degrees is a requirement for accurate playback. So don’t bother with VTA and concentrate on SRA.

(Sometimes people refer to SRA when they use VTA)

3. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

You don't need to weigh the cartridge. It's already given on the spec sheet. :confused:

jeff

4. P3ESRXD

Hello Jeff,
    You are right, I think I never weight one cartridge.
    My response is for @mirnuj_atom.
    post #873
    I used mainly this trick to set the VTF and with jewellry scale and metallic ( magnetic ? ) plate.
    I have one scale which when in touch with the cartridge shows about 10g, with my "trick" the set 2g was there.

5. mirnuj_atom

mirnuj_atom Forum Resident

that was my question as I’m trying to calculate the effective mass of my Tt’s tonearm, the Teac tn-3b.

6. nutsfortubes

nutsfortubes They tried to kill us, and we won!

Yes I have herd of it and I am hearing it right now.

[​IMG]

mackat likes this.
  7. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Why do people use these clamps if record is non warped ?

8. nutsfortubes

Because we can. I think you should go over to ASR.

9. Pmds55889397

Its was a genuine valid question, no offense intended, just basic information as I have a clamp in the drawer, never use it.
    No idea what ASR is ?

10. nutsfortubes

No harm. The clamp is used so there better contact to the platter in the case of the SG3 the platter is made of the same vinyl as records. The best device for warped records is a vacuum system like in my SOTA sapphire.

11. nutsfortubes

Oh Audio Science Review.com

12. Pmds55889397

Is that a sort of punishment place ?

AndyCC72, nutsfortubes and woodpigeon like this.
  13. Daicehawk

Daicehawk Well-Known Member

Who told you that the VTA is only relevant on warps? That is incorrect. The cutting head modulates the groove at all times, failing to match the generator alignment angle to the cutting head angle results in the side channel information stored in the vertical component of the movement distorted , affecting the soundstage at all dimensions. It's not either or, both SRA and VTA are important, and it's not about a single correct value, but rather a range that on average suits the best your particular set of records.

14. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

@mirnuj_atom It means they put extra love into yours. Actually, I think the magnet explanation is it, too.

mirnuj_atom likes this.
  15. mtemur

mtemur Forum Resident

Please take my advice an concentrate on correct SRA alignment which is 92 degrees.

16. nutsfortubes

Yes and they think we are the nuts.

action pact likes this.
  17. mirnuj_atom

mirnuj_atom Forum Resident

I've ordered the better scale, so I'll find out how much love they've put :)

18. Daicehawk

Your advice that VTA only matters on warps? That's bullcrap. The exactly 92 degrees SRA by Fremer at al. is true enugh in that is close enough to 90 degrees and leaves a few degrees of compensation exactly for the warps.

19. mtemur

mtemur Forum Resident

You can not change VTA without changing SRA and SRA is more important. That’s the first thing you should learn.

20. Daicehawk

You don't tell me what I should learn, OK? How many songs have you personally written, recorded, mixed, or mastered?
    One question for you, the wise guy: is the effective VTA the cantilever vs record surface angle, or stylus tip to the cantilever suspension line vs the record surface angle?
    To judge what is more important, SRA or VTA, or anti-skate, or VTF, I rely on my ears, not wives' tales, OK?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
  21. Jaxjax67

Jaxjax67 Samantha Fish @ small venue

I use a mofi weight instead of clamp as I run direct to platter w/ no mat & don't want startup slippage , especially on 45's. I real spindle clamp would do the same thing.

22. P3ESRXD

@Jaxjax67
    I don't know what mofi weight is.
    can you please educate me, what is it different from clamp?

23. Jaxjax67

Jaxjax67 Samantha Fish @ small venue

Record weights also slip over spindle & look the same as clamps. They just don't have the clamp to spindle function.

P3ESRXD likes this.
  24. P3ESRXD

Thanks for your explanation.
    This is subtle, indeed.
    So with my Transrotor Max, I have clamp that is a pain to use with small or very "light" benefit when I play warped LP.
    With this clamp, I need to screw-in endless turns before playing, so I may find a weight instead for "mildly" warped LPs.
    I rarely use the clamp on flat records.

The spindle is so short on LP12 that the Max clamp can be used as "weight" , but I did not hear any "benefit" doing so.

25. Daicehawk

Saw this classified with the price being less than a half of that for a new cart, so I could not pass on that. But after some close examination, I am sure the cart was re-tipped? see the stylus size, shape and angle - seems like a bonded diamond not perpendicular to the cantilever flat surface cut?
    [​IMG]