Best concert you've ever been to

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rachel, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

[​IMG] Goose Lake Music Festival, Jackson Michigan, August 7, 8th & 9th 1970. I was there all 3 days, I was 15. My first concert, The Bob Seger System, 1968 Peoria, Ill. was great too, but Goose Lake was absolutely the best of all! I mean, come on!
    The Faces, Ten Years After, Jethro Tull, Chicago, James Gang, The Flying Burrito Bros., SRC, The Flock, and of course, Mountain!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    Cassius, john lennonist and Emmett66 like this.
  2. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

ELP in Houston '74 - mesmorizing
    Dylan's Rubin Hurricane Carter concert in Houston (ton of top musicians)
    Bowie in Perth '84 (simply outstanding)
    Rod Stewart in Singapore.(10-15' from Rod, front & center)
    Leslie West in Ft Myers, Fla (outrageous!)

There's been a ton. Can't remember 90%... but I remember all the concerts I missed.

3. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

For "awe" factor alone, Neil Young solo Gulf Coast tour in Biloxi. Stunned me for about a week following.

4. tolkev

tolkev Rain Dog

Tom Waits at Paramount Theater Oakland CA Feb 4, 1996
    2nd row center

[​IMG]

5. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I saw Rare Earth Live along with Argent. The Live Argent CD is a good representation of the concert I attended. The Rare Earth in Concert CD on Motown also could have been the one I attended.

6. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

saw Big Sugar in the basement of some club ( Garfinkel's ) in Whistler BC circa 1995-6

some of it sounded like this:

7. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

I also have to say that seeing Bowie on the Serious Moonlight tour, in '83, was a profound experience -- even if SRV was long gone by the time the tour hit Chicago. Bowie remains in the firmament, as one of my very favorite artists of all time.

8. Big Train

Big Train Forum Resident

Atlanta Rhythm Section (with the Atlanta Symphony) at Chastain Park in 1975.

Fullbug likes this.
  9. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Concerts I've attended include 60's: The Beatles, Doors several times, Zep, Tull, Rondstat, Turtles, Spoonful, Simon & Garfunkel, Led Zep;
    70's: Who (w/KM), Allmans (post Duane), ELP (BSS, Pirates), Beefheart, Zappa several times; later years include Dan Hicks, David Lindley.

However, THE best performance I've ever seen was Bob Brozman, 1995, at The Fret Shop in West Covina (L.A.). He was wonderful and amazing.

Prudence1964 likes this.
  10. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

The Necks: Brisbane Old Museum 2015

The Necks always improvise at their gigs and generally play 2 sets, each around 40 minutes in duration. This gig was amazing, especially the piece they performed after the interval.

Wilco at The Tivoli Theatre would likely be my 2nd and 3rd faves. A brilliant band live.

Woodsy58 likes this.
  11. Joeycuda

Joeycuda New Member

I went to the Kansas 40th anniversary special fan appreciation show in 2013 at what used to be called the Stanley Theater. One of the best early bootlegs is from that venue. Also, I'd never seen a show in a classic theater like that.

The show was amazing, even after seeing them many times. Steve Walsh sounded very good that night. Half of the show was with an orchestra. Dave Hope and Kerry Livgren were there and performed in some songs. Steinhardt was not there, due to bypass surgery. Afterwards, the entire bunch sat in a line and signed oversized tickets.

Iron Maiden in 2013 at the arena in Nashville was an amazing show as well.

12. Artdob

Artdob Forum Resident

Two come to mind.

Peter Gabriel's Us tour at the LA Forum. That double stage setup was unexpected. Not only great music, but a great "performance"

Keith Jarrett Trio mid 90s at the Wiltern Theater. LA Times called it the jazz event of at the year ( at minimum at the time). Only time this has ever happened to me, but I was unable to listen to ANY music for a few weeks afterwards. It was like going to the mountain to hear everything that music could be. And everything else, for a while, was the amateur hour.

BlueTrane likes this.
  13. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Could you share the photo please.

warewolf95 likes this.
  14. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Springsteen, Utica N.Y. in 1978. The crowd was not that familiar with the material so he had to win them over. Boy, did he.

Second is probably Elton John at Madison Square Garden in 1976, with his "new" band. The "I draw the line at goats" tour. He was on top of the world and about ready to fall off.

Third, Elvis Costello w/ Steve Nieve in 1999 at the Tower in Philly. The "Painted From Memory" acoustic tour where he sang without a mic at times. A vocal master class, that show.

Finally, the Raspberries reunion tour, Atlantic City, can't remember the year, I'm just glad I got to see them. Loudest damn show, my ears rang for days, but I had a smile plastered on my face anyway.

An honorable mention goes out to Harry Chapin in a tent in Norwichtown square in Norwich, CT in 1974 I think (or '75). He held that crowd spellbound with songs and stories, and his band was impeccable, especially his cello player. My first concert and it was a magical one.

15. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Whoops, sorry to get your hopes up - I misspoke. They played Houston twice in '77 - once early in the year on the A Day at the Races jaunt with Thin Lizzy and then later in November with Cheap Trick.

I misstook the November show for the Races show. Sorry :(

16. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

The Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" concert was the first one that came to mind.

wayneklein likes this.
  17. Well not the greatest but one of the best recently was seeing a Trapper Schoop open for The Jayhawks. He blew them away and is a brilliant, charismatic performers.

I spoke to him afterwards and he told me that Bob Dylan was one of his influences (refreshing to hear for a young fellow like him). I told him not to discuss that too much with interviewers and told him what happened to Steve Forbert and others that got compared to Dylan (the exception being Springsteen).

Nice kid and great performer. Buy his albums!

My other favs:

Gentle Giant,
    Suzanne Vega
    Warren Zevon
    McCartney at the last Candlestick Park concert.
    Talking Heads (I prefer the tour with Adrian Belew)
    King Crimson-Beat and Discipline tour
    Roxy Music-1975

Prudence1964, Mooserfan and nitsuj like this.
  18. I was at one of those shows. I don't know if I'm anywhere in the crowd or if they used any of the footage for the show I was at but it is fun try to spot yourself in the crowd. It's like "Where's Waldo"!

warewolf95 likes this.
  19. bodine

bodine Senior Member

3-way tie:

1. Jimi Hendrix/Grateful Dead/Steve Miller Band--Philadelphia, May 1970

2. Rolling Stones/Stevie Wonder--Philadelphia, 1972

3. Hugh Masekela/Tim Buckley/Paul Butterfield Blues Band/Booker T and the MGs/B B King/The Byrds/Sir Douglas Quintet/Jefferson Airplane/Creedence Clearwater Revival--Atlantic City Pop Festival, August 1969.

Cassius, notesofachord and warewolf95 like this.
  20. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

21. bodine

bodine Senior Member

I saw a similar lineup in 1966. No Tops, but added the Temps and Stevie Wonder. Choker's band was awesome!

warewolf95 likes this.
  22. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Elvis Costello and the Attractions,
    Trust tour

wayneklein and warewolf95 like this.
  23. He also kicked butt on the Attractions reunion tour

Fullbug and davers like this.
  24. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Yep!
    In 1977, Queen toured for "A Day at the Races" recorded and released "News of the World" and actually toured for it also, unheard of today!

warewolf95 likes this.
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Led Zep August 1969 at the Worlds Fair Pavilion Flushing Meadows Queens, NY
    Buddy Guy opened...

BDC, Cassius, john lennonist and 2 others like this.