Best New Album of 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gaslight, Feb 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑ Thread Starter

We're now one month into the year and I personally have a few favorites already:

David Bowie - Blackstar
    Shearwater - Jet Plane and Oxbow
    Karsh Kale - Up

Got anything good for 2016 so far that you'd like to give a shout out to?

gss, mschrist, dadonred and 3 others like this.
  2. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

I've been having fun the last few days with the new one from Angela Perley and The Howlin' Moons ... just CD or download now, but I read some vinyl coming too in April ...

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Bowie- Blackstar

Ask me again in December and I'll say the same thing. Nothing will top it.

4. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Blackstar gets my vote so far.

Also digging the new Savages album and the new Steven Wilson. Looking forward to the new Field Music that comes out this week.

5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑ Thread Starter

I'm not a huge Bowie fan but I really enjoyed this album, even given the circumstances. Much more than I expected to actually, which is always a nice surprise.

6. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Blackstar
    Savages - Adore Life
    Ty Recall - Emotional Mugger
    The Sea Pinks - Soft Days

Brudy and scotth like this.
  7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Dion's got a new record coming out this month. The lead off single is damn good. If the rest of the album is this calibur I may have to reconsider.

troggy likes this.
  8. Agent of Fortune

Agent of Fortune Däncing Barefoot

So far, I would say Wavelength's Folk Magic. Albeit technically just a demo, it's a truly brilliant combination of beautifully ethereal Folk sounds and fuzzed-out Doom Metal.

Still waiting on a physical release, you can pick it up here in the meantime.

drasil likes this.
  9. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I've only purchased two 2016 releases as of now but I think the Charles Lloyd And The Marvels album will easily remain on my top ten of the year come next December. The Bill Frisell album When You Wish Upon A Star is okay but I prefer his work on the Lloyd album especially on their rendition of Dylan's Masters Of War.

10. Catch22

Catch22 Forum Resident

Tedeschi Trucks Band ~ Let Me Get By

11. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

So far, I would say David Bowie's Blackstar and the amazing Savages' Adore Life are the best albums of the year and I'm sure that the upcoming PJ Harvey album will be in my top five!

fldveloce likes this.
  12. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

I haven't bought any recently released records :0

13. helter

helter Forum Resident

Yes, maybe my vinyl copy will delivered by then :realmad:

Smxx777 likes this.
  14. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

For me, the standouts so far are Blackstar and the I Don't Cares' Wild Stab, which continues to grow on me with each listen.

I have high hopes for upcoming releases by PJ Harvey, Liz Phair, and the Gotobeds.

Ted Dinard likes this.
  15. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Some great stuff coming soon... new Radiohead, new Explosions in The Sky... maybe some Sigur Rós... I expect this to be a great year for music (except for great artists passing away), much better than 2015.

16. BMac19

BMac19 Forum Resident

Ty Segall
    Cian Nugent
    V L I V M
    Floating Action

17. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

To make life simpler, you really should have titled the thread Best New Non-Blackstar Album of 2016.

I'll vote for these so far, but I need to spend more time with them:

Shearwater -- Jet Plane and Oxbow
    Eleanor Friedberger -- New View

Still waiting for my I Don't Cares and Savages CDs to arrive [drumming fingers]. What is the deal with Amazon lately?

I expect the release of The Hope Six Demolition Project on April 15 may change things considerably, but even the mighty, mighty PJ probably can't knock Blackstar out of the #1 spot. It would be a juggernaut even if Bowie were still with us.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  18. Ted Dinard

Ted Dinard Forum Resident

19. drasil

drasil Former Resident

the new tortoise album is a surprise, and though I kind of agree with all the reviews that it's interesting they decided to make changes to their sound 21 years in, they seem to have polished those changes so thoroughly that the whole thing still ends up sounding very much like their other albums--that is, a lot like millions now living. this happened before with standards, and like that album, it's clear they've again been listening to the trends in music over the last seven years. there's some emeralds/OPN/chillwavey stuff going on, and some residual neo-americana. no banjo, though.

I know, hardly a ringing endorsement. it's on spotify, though, and 'gesceap' is worth a listen.

I'm also really excited for PJ Harvey's new one. and yeah... blackstar.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  20. Dok

Dok Senior Member

21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Im always about a year behind, but Im actually listening to new music in real time this year :D. This suggestion comes from the forum member Serving The Music. So, thanks to him for bring it to my attention:

Shearwater: Jetplane And Oxbow.

22. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

The only one I have is the new Hinds album, which is good.

23. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

Am I the only one who thinks the projection of 2016's musical front is pretty paltry in comparison to 2015?

Edit: Put on the Shearwater album. This is good.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    pig bodine likes this.
  24. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

I'm not sure that 2015 had a very strong musical front projection either, though I can't say I've ever heard it described in those terms before :)

As always, I think it depends on where your musical interests lie. I've seen quite a few artists I'd like to hear something new from on the upcoming lists I've perused.

25. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

"The Story" - Runrig.

Probably their last studio album, it's a beautiful, moving and poignant way to finish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.