Best New Albums of 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Jan 10, 2018.

1. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Some people will find this cheesy, but I don't care. ;)

Frank likes this.
  2. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I'm sorry but how did you score this lp? I'm striking out in various ways. The store keeps saying next week for like 2 months. They have the cd but not vinyl

3. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

My favorite of the year by a lot

4. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

I'm in the UK and got mine off of Discogs from a German seller, couldn't find one in the UK at the time but I see that Juno Records have it in stock. As for the US, I see just one (highly rated) seller on Discogs has it if that's of use to you: Foxwarren - Foxwarren (Vinyl, USA & Canada, 2018) For Sale | Discogs

Mugrug12 likes this.
  5. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

It really is incredible, probably more so since I came into it completely unprepared.

Mugrug12 likes this.
  6. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Bakery -Momento, album released by '70's band from Perth
    At one moment, I think they are sort of like Deep Purple, then they are sort of like The WHO.
    Then they just go do something else.
    Made my list for 2018
    The Gift, by Bakery
    (Forward to 1'08")

7. rararabbits

rararabbits Forum Resident

I’d convinced myself the Orielles album came out in 2017, but it was last year. So that really should have been in my top ten.

8. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I think the first couple singles came out in late 2017. That may be what you're thinking of.

"I Only Bought It for the Bottle" was my top single of 2018, no question.

9. AceRizzle

AceRizzle Yeah I love the Strokes, you old fogies.

The Breeders - All Nerve
    Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever - Hope Downs
    Shame - Dust On Trial
    Parquet Courts - Wide Awake
    Idles - Joy As An Act Of Resistance

lennonfan1 likes this.
  10. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

So many great albums that came out in 2018... These are some of my favorites, although there were many more that I enjoyed.

bvdub - A Different Definition of Love
    Excellent ambient album from someone with a brilliant catalog. This combines ethereal soundscapes with some light acoustic guitar in spots.

Rodrigo Amado / Joe McPhee / Kent Kessler / Chris Corsano - A History of Nothing
    Incredibly creative free jazz. The combination of Amado and McPhee is something else.

Nils Frahm - All Melody
    It didn't stick with me as much as Solo from a few years back, but this is an album up to his usual standard of quality. More straight electronic elements than other albums of his, and most of it works.

The Necks - Body
    This one is a maniac... I love it. One 56 minute monster of a track, all hypnotic live improvisation.

Kurt Vile - Bottle It In
    I might have listened to this more than any other album this year. I didn't love it on first listen, but it grew on me. Some nice long guitar jams, great songwriting and I love his deadpan vocal style. Nice laid back rock.

Bill Orcutt & Chris Corsano - Brace Up!
    What a ball buster... Just pure craziness. It's almost unbelievable that this kind of noise can come from two people, and it all sounds coherent.

Low - Double Negative
    Everyone seems to be talking about this one, and for good reason. I hadn't listened to much from this band in that past, but this album grabbed me right away. The bass and distortion throughout is disorienting, but there are some really melodic moments. Always Trying To Work It Out is one of my favorites songs of the year.

One Eleven Heavy - Everything's Better
    Classic rock / Americana from 2018... Songs that are brand new but seem ancient.

Taylor Deupree - Fallen
    Low key, restrained, melancholy sounds.

Amen Dunes - Freedom
    His voice is unique, but also reminds me of David Gray... Kind of nostalgic.

Kamasi Washington - Heaven And Earth
    Another beast of an album, and a worthy follow up to The Epic. This artist doesn't do anything half-assed. I love the ambition, and although I don't think I was ever able to digest the entire thing in one sitting, I listened to it a ton.

Tony Molina - Kill The Lights
    It's almost unbelievable how short this collection of pop songs is. Pretty cool.

Sam Gendel & Sam Wilkes - Music For Saxofone & Bass Guitar
    I learned about this one through the Aquarium Drunkard year end list... Modern jazz with a hip hop / producer influence.

Ken Vandermark - No-Exit Corner
    One of the most creative jazz musicians alive. This one is awesome.

Deafheaven - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love
    Doesn't reach the ridiculous heights of Sunbather, but anything that comes close to that classic is ok by me.

David Nance - Peaced And Slightly Pulverized
    This is almost straight up classic rock... Neil Young meets Magnolia Electric Company. Check out the song Amethyst.

Earl Sweatshirt - Some Rap Songs
    This is hip hop going in the right direction. Not what I expected, and it's still growing on me.

Kilchhofer - The Book Room
    I'm not even sure how to describe this one. Just worth a listen

Daniel Bachman - The Morning Star
    The opening track Invocation has a monster drone sound... The rest of the album is more like his previous work, although with more field recordings and sound effects mixed in. My favorite album from a great guitarist, on my favorite record label Three Lobed Recordings.

Kamaal Williams - The Return
    Another new jazz album, funky as hell.

Jeff Tweedy - Warm
    I haven't listened to Wilco much in years, but for some reason this one caught my eye and I'm glad I gave it a shot. Really enjoying the vibe on this one.

Various Artists - We Out Here
    Speaking of "funky as hell" jazz, this compilation from Brownswood Recordings is the king.

11. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

Just saw a couple weeks ago there was a new Oskar's Drum (Yves Altana and Patrick Fitzgerald [Kitchens of Distinction, Stephen Hero] with live accompaniment from multi-instrumentalist Danny Ashberry) album in 2018, Degenerate Art ... last I heard was the really nice A Cathedral of Hands in 2016 ... downloaded from bandcamp and listening now, not too different from Cathedral, and still with a lot of that early 90s KoD sound at the core ... video below for the lead single "Of Their Bones" may be a bit controversial in some quarters ...

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  12. jefferyuniverse

jefferyuniverse Well-Known Member

Some of my favorite records this year were:

Kamasi Washington- Heaven and Earth
    Courtney Barnett- Tell Me How You Really Feel
    Janelle Monae- Dirty Computer
    Snail Mail- Lush
    Nine Inch Nails- Bad Witch

13. noddin0ff

noddin0ff Petty Opinionator Third Class

Thank you all for a great year of suggestions!
    More or less in order of favorite album-ness:

EDLES - Joy as an Act of Resistance
    Parquet Courts - Wide Awake!
    King Buffalo - Longing to be the Mountain
    Father John Misty - God's Favorite Customer
    Jonathan Bree - Sleepwalking
    Makaya McCraven - Universal Beings
    Yo-Yo Ma - Six Evolutions - Bach: Cello Suites

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  14. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

This is fantastic, and I had no idea it was out there--thanks so much for bringing it to our attention!

Davey likes this.
  15. jazdoc

jazdoc Forum Resident

Bought a LOT of new music released this year. Thanks for all the input on this forum. Decided to spin each one at year end. Grades are Music/Sound.

* indicates a top ten personal pick

1. 77:78 "Jellies" -- B/B
    Side project by members of the Bees. "Love Said (Let's Go) is the stand out track.

2. Atlas Lab "Glory The Night" -- B+/B+
    Intriguing melange of psych, pop and synth. Great music for enjoying a cup of coffee on a rainy, cold Seattle winter's day. Will depend on how you react to lead singer Solei's vocals.

3. Courtney Barnett "Tell Me How You Really Feel" -- A-/B+
    Grunge princess' sophomore LP is more sardonic and self-loathing than her killer debut. Other than the clunker "I'm Not Your Mother, I'm Not Your Bitch", an otherwise excellent LP.

4. Beach House "7" -- A/B+ (borderline A-)
    Duo's 7th LP fleshes out their dreamy sonic landscapes and is a major rebound from their last effort "Depression Cherry". Album is a grower with repeated listens. Sound ranges from very good to excellent. "Drunk In LA" is one of the year's best singles. Borderline top 10.

5. Blood Orange "Negro Swan" -- B+/B
    A bit of a disappointment on the heels of "Freetown Sound". Caught the tour a couple months ago and he is great live. Fidelity is excellent but my vinyl was noisy in places.

6. Calexico "The Thread That Keeps Us" -- B+/B
    Calexico's albums always take a while to grow on me, and their latest is no exception. A very good double LP that would have been a killer 3-sided album.

7. Roseanne Cash "She Remembers Everything" -- A/B+
    The follow up to the outstanding "River and The Thread" finds Cash exploring themes of loss, love and regret. Excellent fidelity docked a notch for a noisy patch. Borderline top 10.

8. The Coral "Move Through The Dawn" -- Strong B+/C
    Don't know how I missed the first 7 albums by the British pop band. Well crafted pop music reminiscent of ELO, although the percussion is a bit repetitive. "Reaching Out For A Friend" is a killer single. Buy the CD and it will put a smile on your face every time you crank it up with the top down.

*9. Elvis Costello and the Imposters -- "Look Now" -- A+/A-
    Killer double LP on 180 gm vinyl. Best EC album since 1986's "Blood and Chocolate" An instant classic.

10. Essex Green "Hardly Electronic" -- B/B
    Baroque pop with lovely harmonies. Single "Sloane Ranger" is an earworm.

*11. First Aid Kit - "Ruins" -- A+/B++
    The Swedish sister duo Klara and Johanna Soderberg just keep getting better with every release. Starts with the killer track "Rebel Heart: and never lets up. Has been a favorite and in heavy rotation since it's February release.

12. Fort Never "Fort Never"-- C/B
    I could never warm up to this one

13. James Hunter "Whatever It Takes" -- A-/B+
    Gorgeous mono sound is a perfect fit for the retro soul British rocker. Another solid LP backed by his long time band. Vocals often compared to Sam Cooke, although my favorite is the instrumental "Blisters"

14. Joan As Policewoman "Damned Devotion" -- B+/B
    Adding synth beats make this LP more languid and less pop than "The Classic".

*15. Damien Jurado "The Horizon Just Laughed" -- A/A
    First self produced LP by the prolific Seattle artist. After working with Richard Swift on the Maraquopa trilogy, this album is a return to a sparer sound that is very well recorded. Consistently excellent songwriting with lyrics that actually demand your attention. Brilliant.

16. Lake Street Dive "Free Yourself Up" -- B/A-
    I really enjoy Rachael Price's voice and the production is excellent. However the songs are formulaic and leave you feeling they could do much better by taking more chances.

*17. Paul McCartney "Egypt Station" -- A/A-
    Who would have thought the 76 year old still had a killer double LP in him? Yeah, the voice is not as supple, but he remains a master songwriter. First disc is perfect; dare I say "Beatlesque"? Best LP since 1982's "Tug of War".

18. Mimicking Birds "Layers of Us" -- B+/B+
    Another fine effort from this Portland based group. This LP uses more effects with resultant lusher sound but retains the dreamy mood anchored in Nate Lacy's vocals.

*19. Donna Missal "This Time" -- A-/(low)A-
    Wonderful debut LP. Her voice is the definition of "sultry" and is well showcased by her strong songwriting. Very well recorded. The girl is going to be a star. Can't wait to hear her in March.

*20. Janel Monae "Dirty Computer" -- A/A+
    Uber talented and incredibly beautiful; you may remember her in "Moonlight" and "Hidden Figures". One of the albums of the year. Best part for audiophiles: I doubt there is a commercial release with better sonics than this 45 rpm double LP. Music is consistently great with only a single dud ("Django Jane"). "Make Me Feel" is 2018's best single -- somewhere Prince is smiling.

21. The Movement "Golden" -- B-/A-
    Modern take on reggae. For me, a little reggae goes a long way...

22. Ali Shaeed Muhammad & Adrian Younge "The Midnight Hour" -- B/B
    A fusion of jazz, soul and hip hop by a pair of the hottest producers in the music scene features CeeLo Green and Raphael Saddiq amongst other guest artists. The overall result is uneven and probably would have been much better edited down to a single LP.

23. Kacey Musgraves "Golden Hour" -- B+/B+
    I really love her first two albums and this one has landed on a number of year end top 10 lists. Includes several fien songs including "Slow Burn" and the title track. Can't quite put my finger on it but this one is missing the magic for me. Fine fidelity but my copy was noisy in places.

24. Israel Nash "Lifted" -- A-/B
    Befitting his psychedelic country sound, the cover says to 'file under Hippie Spiritual', perfectly fitting for his psychedelic country sound. He fills out the sound with strings and horns. His latest is an expression of gratitude; an appreciation for the little things in life. Really enjoy this one. Borderline top 10.

25. Nude Party "Eponymous" --B/B
    Imagine the musical love child of The Velvet Underground and Donovan and you've got Nude Party. Utterly derivative but lots of fun. "Water On Mars" is one of my favorite songs of 2018. Important internet safety tip: if you want to learn more, append 'band' when googling 'Nude Party'...there are some things you can't unsee.

26. Opeth "Garden of the Titans" -- A-/B+++
    Nice career survey covering highlights from early and late Opeth featuring some incredible musicianship. Looking forward to an LP of new material in 2019.

*27. Phosphorscent "C'est La Vie" -- A-/B+
    First LP recorded in his new Nashville studio with sound quality finally befitting the typically excellent music. Only less than excellent track is the short introduction.

28. Cat Power "Wanderer" -- B+/B+
    A return to a sparer sound: closely miked showing off her unique voice. A good but not great Cat Power LP. A couple no-fill defects mar otherwise excellent fidelity.

29. Rolling Blackouts C.F. "Hope Downs" -- B/B+
    I've seen this one on many top 10 lists. I don't get it...

*30. St. Vincent "MassEducation" --A/A+
    This is the unplugged version of MassSeduction; an LP I did not like. This is version is spectacular: well-recorded, closely miked and really showcases her voice and lyrics. Sound of the piano is stellar.

31. Shannon Shaw "Shannon In Nashville" -- B/B
    Lead singer of Shannon and the Clams steps out for a really fun retro LP. Teamed with Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys who co-wrote and produced in his Nashville studio. "Broke My Own" is a great single.

32. Soviet Dolls -- "Dream in Rhythm" -- C+/B
    Interesting fusion of rock and synth that ultimately was too repetitive for my taste.

33. Spawn -- "Dance of the Lunatics" -- B+/B+
    Fusion of ska and punk from the Netherlands. Disc is a lot of fun with first track "Lunatics" the highlight. Perfect LP for your 1980's themed party.

34. Toubab Krewe "TK2" -- A-/A
    Off the radar find of the year from Feedbands which fuses Mali, Caribbean and Appalachian influences. Excellent recording. Kept coming back to this one...

35. Tribalistas "Eponymous" -- B+/B
    Reuniting 16 years after releasing one of the most essential MPB albums, Marisa Monte, Carlinhos Brown and Arnaldo Artunes finally release a follow up. No way to match their debut, but an excellent LP. Touring the US in early 2019.

36. Kurt Vile "Bottle It In" - A-/B+
    KV is the king of 420 slacker rock. Instantly recognizable sound from a really good guitarist. Spark one up, sit back and enjoy! Favorite track - "One Trick Ponies"

*37. The War and Treaty "Healing Tide" -- A+/B
    R&B/Gospel record of the year from husband-wife powerhouse duo. From the liner notes "Dear beautiful human being, as you listen to this outpouring of our hearts, one can only hope that you feel comforted, hopeful and compelled to love there is no tomorrow." Not audiophile SQ but never fails to put a big fat smile on my face. BUY THIS RECORD!

*38. Erika Wennerstrom "Sweet Unknown" --A/B+
    First solo LP by the leader of The Heartless Bastards. Fantastic anthem rock. This is the way a double LP should be done: 3 sides of originals and 4th side of bonus material rather than filler.

Best Reissues:
    Buffalo Springfield "What's That Sound"
    Johnny Cash "Live At Folsom Prison"
    ELO "Secret Messages"
    Living Colour "Live At CBGB's"
    Rolling Stones "Satanic Majesties Request" (Record Store Day)
    Tribalistas

16. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

My end of year top 20 list, in alphabetical order (*top 5, which may well change tomorrow)

Aurora : Infections of a Different Kind (Step 1)
    Christine and the Queens : Chris
    Field Music: Open Here*
    The Fierce and the Dead : The Euphoric
    Gleb Kolyadin : Gleb Kolyadin
    The Go! Team : Semicircle
    Ionnalee : Everyone afraid to be Forgotten
    Janelle Monae: Dirty Computer*
    Jean-Michel Jarre : Equinoxe Infinity
    John Grant : Love is Magic*
    The Lemon Twigs : Go to School
    Let’s Eat Grandma : I’m all Ears*
    Man Without Country : Infinity Mirror
    Mark Peters: Innerland
    Matt Baber: Suite for Piano and Electronics
    Muse : Simulation Theory
    Nils Frahm: All Melody
    Robyn : Honey
    Sirintip : Tribus
    Wye Oak : The Louder I Call, the Faster It Runs*

PanaPlasma likes this.
  17. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

If you go back and listen to the Coral's earlier albums, you may understand why most of their longtime fans think Move Through the Dawn is hot garbage.

18. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Nili Hadida - self-titled

19. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

I've known about The Coral for 15+ years and can't recall ever hearing a song or a full length proper. I've been playing there new record all year. Every song is an earworm, well played, fun, hook after hook. Even down to the over-the top record cover. Just excellent. My only criticism would be thematically and lyrically not quite as good as I would've hoped but it certainly doesn't diminish the overall joy I feel when listening to it. It's a perfect summer record.

rob68 likes this.
  20. noddin0ff

noddin0ff Petty Opinionator Third Class

Really nice set of write ups. Going to go back into the year and look for a few to pick up. Thanks!

jazdoc likes this.
  21. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

Yes, thanks of posting this! I don't recall ever hearing about Oskar's Drum, but have been a fan of KOD and Ives from the beginning.

22. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

Definitely look up some of my posts for Cathedral of Hands then, there's probably quite a few since it was one of my top albums a couple years ago, I think it might be even better than this new one but it's still really early for me with this new one. I guess they even have something in-between these two as well, very prolific.

23. Terrapin Station

Urban Cone - 10-18

24. Terrapin Station

Our Hollow, Our Home - In Moment // In Memory

25. Terrapin Station

Your Smith - Bad Habit (EP)

Your Smith is Caroline Smith from Caroline Smith and the Good Night Sleeps

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019