Best New Albums of 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, Jan 10, 2018.

1. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

The new Nils Frahm album is pretty good on a first listen - sort of electronic modern classical / soundtrack with elements of chillout.

2. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I bought it after listening to samples. I haven’t listened yet.

3. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

The new Ty Segall is crazy good - just wow!:righton: Better than his previous album.

He seems to be operating within that magical sweet spot he found, where different sounds, genres and eras of rock come together and collide in a weird time warp, exploding into something new and fresh every time. The guy is a genius.

4. Henry Phillpotts

Henry Phillpotts Well-Known Member

I'm really enjoying:
    Jose Gonzalez & The Brite Lites At Svenska Grammofonstudion

I really like the interplay between the acoustic guitar and drums, both of which seem to have more than one player. I think you'll either enjoy the mood or not, for me it's a great way to start the day!

deadjazz likes this.
  5. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Flying Horseman - Rooms/Ruins for me too.

Excellent soundquality. As usual their stuff was recorded by Koen Gisen at La Patrie in Ghent.
    Mastering was done by Karel De Backer.

Two people that really care about soundquality.

Their 2 previous albums are also very highly recommended (City Same City, Night Is Long).

In Belgium and the Netherlands their albums got nothing but 4 star / 5 star scores, although they're (almost) completely ignored by the radio and tv. The singer Bert Dockx has also a jazz-rock side project called Dans Dans which albums are also of very high quality.

Their albums are amongst my favorite demo-discs, they just sound natural ... like they're playing live in your room.

foobar2000 1.1.12a / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2018-02-05 10:09:40

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Flying Horseman / Rooms / Ruins
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR11 -0.04 dB -13.26 dB 3:43 01-The Key
    DR9 -0.14 dB -11.98 dB 7:28 02-Deep Earth
    DR9 -0.15 dB -11.17 dB 4:41 03-Fever Room
    DR11 -0.05 dB -14.85 dB 5:06 04-Reverie
    DR10 -0.09 dB -11.96 dB 4:41 05-Stars
    DR9 -3.67 dB -17.20 dB 4:20 06-Bee Season
    DR9 -0.09 dB -11.04 dB 5:53 07-Bright Light
    DR10 -0.03 dB -12.71 dB 5:01 08-Soldier
    DR10 -0.11 dB -12.70 dB 7:55 09-Private Isle
    DR10 -0.04 dB -12.13 dB 5:41 10-Killer
    DR9 -0.11 dB -12.95 dB 10:00 11-Ruins

Number of tracks: 11
    Official DR value: DR10

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 1411 kbps
    Codec: PCM
    ================================================================================

Video for "Reverie":

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    BD2665, mschrist, Beamish13 and 4 others like this.
  6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The concert was fantastic but: Once again there were maybe 30 indifferent people standing in front of Virginia Wing. The "cool" guys arrive in time for the main act. Apparently. :crazy:

But it was great. I'd just like to see some excited people at a Virginia Wing Berlin show.

Davey likes this.
  7. PanaPlasma

Hookworms 24bit download costs 7.99€ for Qobuz Sublime(+) subscribers over here.

8. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Been listening to Rae Morris' Someone Out There - and it's a fantastic electropop album.:thumbsup:
    Highly recommended!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  9. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Rooms/Ruins isn't out until later in the month here, but I've enjoyed what I've heard from it so far. Definitely pre-ordering the CD!

Here are two somewhat similar albums that came out last week. The new one from Field Music is a continuation of 2016's Commontime, but even more accessible. Wasuremono's Something Left Behind is (I think) their first long-player and very good it is too. It's like Field Music but weirder.

[​IMG]

LivingForever likes this.
  10. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

11. Davey

Davey NP: Bruce Brubaker ~ Eno Piano (2023)

Yea, going a bit off topic (I doubt most in this thread will complain too much) but it is a shame they don't get a little more notoriety, they are quickly building a very nice discography, and doing some pretty cool collaborations along the way. Speaking of that, did you hear the song they did with Jane Weaver last year? Released on the Lost Library EP on Fire Records. They are label mates, and do share a lot of the same influences, so not too unexpected, but still very nice ...

Jane Weaver And Virginia Wing - I Feel It Starts Again

Neonbeam likes this.
  12. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

have to agree....first guitar band in a while i've fallen in love with, has an ESG/ Bush Tetras...No Wave vibe

Beamish13 and Freedom Rider like this.
  13. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Thanks for this, lovely record. More indie version of Beach House.

Robert C likes this.
  14. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I liked the video so I'm listening on Spotify now. Really liking it.

15. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

Can't wait for Jonathan Wilson's Rare Bird on March 2/18. Having just come off the new Roger Waters album and tour, he's gonna be a contender and one of the best of the year I'm positive.

16. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Loving this album! There are plenty more lively sounds on the album that what's represented in this trailer. Lush vocal chorals, Berlin-school style synth flourishes, serene ambience, etc., it's all here.

Nils Frahm - All Melody

17. PanaPlasma

Rae Morris album is indeed excellent pop music.

Need to check Wasuremono and the new Field Music-album.

18. Neonbeam

Very cool! "Microshift" by Hookworms is an amazing album btw. The show was totally abrasive and deeply mesmerising but the album is actually very listenable. Too early yet but that has to be top ten at the end of the year :whistle:

I actually think it's cool that Virginia Wing are now somehow connected to this band:righton:

19. Neonbeam

Bought this ep yesterday from their merch:righton::righton:

20. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

New Sloan album coming in April -- 12 -- but the first teaser track came out yesterday. Nice.

21. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

Really liking the new Hookworms one, seeing them in London next month so will make an effort to see the support band too as I rather like the postings here, cheers.

Robert C, Neonbeam and Davey like this.
  22. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Checking this out on Tidal right now...I like what I'm hearing so will pick up the CD. I have sampled his stuff before and remember it being mostly acoustic instruments...does he have any other albums of mostly electronic music?

Thanks as always for the recommendation.

Synthfreek likes this.
  23. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

His collaboration with nonkeen, The Gamble, was one of my favorite albums of 2016 and is mostly electronic. It's then only other Nils Frahm and nonkeen I own so I'm not sure how much of it is Frahm and how much is nonkeen

noname74 likes this.
  24. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I'm not really familiar with him. The only other work of his in my collection is some production work on the amazing Deaf Center's album.

Hedin and noname74 like this.
  25. Davey

Davey NP: Bruce Brubaker ~ Eno Piano (2023)

Yea, I love the first two songs on that EP, Rhonda and Sisterly Love. Forget the name of the third one, but don't like it all that much, but worth it for the first two, pretty nicely recorded and mastered too, even on the digital. I combined it with Forward Constant Motion in 2016 for probably my favorite album of the year, or at least close to it. I always find out about a bunch of great records after the year is over, and no exception in 2016, stuff like The Hermit by Surya Kris Peters, very cool record that has some of that old Tangerine Dream feel but with some Far Eastern influences, and the Carla Dal Forno You Know What It's Like record has become a huge favorite too, love everything about it, and really like the Grumbling Fur FurFour which is a bit like a companion to Virginia Wing with more Depeche Mode in the mix, and I was late to the party on the Kikagaku Moyo House In The Tall Grass too, just tons of great stuff around but not sure how much I can really absorb, kind of close to max now, I hate to buy stuff and just have it sit around so try to get to know most of them pretty well and keep listening into the future.

The never ending quest, been kind of binging the last few days on this Stefan Wesolowski Rite of the End ambient album I missed last year and just discovered, really nice and fits in well with my love of the Jacaszek Kwiaty album ... Ambient music recommendation?

Bach, Yann Tiersen, Brian Eno, Stravinsky, it's the same combat. The six slow ceremonies of Rite of the End are attractive through their praise of slowness and appreciation of the Beautiful. This music is certainly classical in its foundations but is not when you listen to it. The Americans would use the word unconventional. A term that fits Wesołowski perfectly as he is punk to the very tip of his violin bow... Bester Langs, senior editor of the magazine Gonzaï.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Beamish13 likes this.