Best New Albums of 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RockOnSon, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Two albums I've thoroughly enjoyed over the last couple of days:

Nadine Shah - Kitchen Sink (she got on my radar with Holiday Destination, and this new album delivers in spades - brilliant, imo)

Jessie Ware - What's Your Pleasure? (perfect disco pop with a vintage vibe).

Very different but both excellent, each in their own way.

2. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

What I'd find odder is saying, "That can't be one of your favorite albums because it was recorded and then shelved for five years (or whatever) before being released." Or "That can't be one of your favorite albums because it's a compilation."

broshfab4 and Exile On My Street like this.
  3. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Not sure if there's any hard fast rules on this thread. Probably the only thing I'd shy away from are reissues / remasters of albums originally released in a previous year but I would think archival stuff not released until this year should be A-OK. But not sure if compilations would count, assuming most of the tracks were released in previous years.

The other poster at least got me tuned into Haim. Into the rabbit hole I go....

hutlock and mpayan like this.
  4. backeast

backeast Forum Resident

What about the “This album comes out in a couple weeks and I’m looking forward to it” posts?

JL6161 likes this.
  5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Only if they can prove super likes after release.

Else they lose nine SHTV member points

6. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I guess that’s up to each individual to consider it “new” or not. I don’t because of the recording date — it just isn’t “new” to me just because it hasn’t been heard of that makes sense?

That’s me though. I totally understand the other side of the coin.

Exile On My Street likes this.
  7. hutlock

I don’t consider compilations to be “albums” at all, which again, I know I am being picky about. Comps by definition are collections of old material, even if they might have a new song or two. But if you ask me to rank favorite albums by a certain artist, I’m not going to pick comps or live albums. YMMV again—there are tons of people who disagree with me on that one, I know.

As an aside, I also don’t count EPs as albums, regardless of length. EP is short for Extended Play, as in Extended Play single. So again on a year-end chart, those ain’t going on my albums list. I’m far more likely to put them on my singles list! Plenty of people disagree with me on THAT one too!

But to your point about the Zappa (and Homegrown for that matter) — I suppose I consider all of those kinds of releases to be their own category of “archival” releases. I just have a hard time considering a release being “new” from 30-40 years back, but they might still be “new” as in the sense of “never heard before.” So I put those in their own category. Reissues, archival, comps... all together on their own list apart from actual “contemporary” music.

8. hutlock

I never said it can’t be one of YOUR favorite anythings. Don’t put words in my mouth please. I said I put that kind of material in a different category and I ALSO said you and the rest of the world can do it how you like.

9. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

The Jessie Ware is fantastic, best thing she's done since her debut.

10. Jarra Lad

Jarra Lad Forum Resident

Only one play in but enjoyed it too. It has felt like a long wait for this one.

Freedom Rider likes this.
  11. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    hamicle and iwokeinrelief like this.
  12. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

It's just padding to show a perception of all the fantastic albums that have come out in recent years -- which is of course just blatently false.

13. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Now these two albums, on the other hand, are absolutely fantastic!!

Bob Dylan - Rough and Rowdy Ways
    Neil Young - Homegrown

And in the same month no less!

14. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I'd say rather than "picky" it simply makes zero sense. Compilations are a type of album.

Previously released material, not old (previously released material can be new or old). The Now That's What I Call Music albums, for example, are compilations, but they don't consist of old material. Rather they have songs that were released in the current or previous year.

Many albums that you think of as "normal studio albums" at least partially consist of old material, too--songs written many years prior, sometimes, and occasionally they even have old recordings. It's just that they weren't released before. I had mentioned this in the post you're responding to, but you overlooked it.

A classic example of the above, where the history wasn't common knowledge for a long time, is Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti. On what are thought of as his "normal studio albums," Frank Zappa routinely included bits of old recordings , sometimes mined from live recordings where you'd never know that without him telling you, often songs written years earlier, etc. And of course large portions of lots of hip hop albums consist of old recordings, too.

You should if any of those things are among your favorites, otherwise the idea makes no sense. You'd be limiting your favorites to studio albums of previously unreleased material for some arbitrary reason, even though you might like some live albums, compilation albums, EPs, etc. even more than what you'd be saying are your favorites.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    JoeOnWheels and hutlock like this.
  15. dloew

dloew Forum Resident

Not sure if anyone posted yet, but the new surprise album 'Inlet' from 'Hum' is pretty awesome. First album in 22 years!

Pop_Zeus, hamicle, Fletch and 3 others like this.
  16. dloew

dloew Forum Resident

New Ray LaMontagne is really solid, "Monovision". I wasn't really a fan of him until the Jim James-produced "Ouroboros" from 2016. Digging now this new one as well.

17. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I have to agree with your comment. I am looking for recommendations of albums members feel are especially good, stand outs in this years releases. I am not in need of knowing everyone’s opinion on so-so albums. I find lots of those on my own.

18. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I agree on the comps and to a degree live albums though I would absolutely scream that The Allman Brothers Live At Fillmore East was one of the best albums of 1971. My point is that if a live album of that power were released in 2020 it is going to be a best, favorite. The songs may be the same in title and basic musical structure but the performance, sequencing and such offer a new take entirely. And I should point out I am not that big of a “live” album fan in general.

hutlock likes this.
  19. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I made one of those because I wanted to talk about some new music I'm really liking. There doesn't seem to be anyplace else to do that. Plus I tried starting a thread on that band and it sank like a box of rocks. As those threads tend to do.

20. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

The new HAIM is scary good! :righton:

I remember being introduced to them through their 2017 album 'Something to Tell You', which was decent but I wasn't totally convinced. Listening to Women in Music Pt. III, it's clear to me musically they've progressed and matured a lot since then. Excellent songwriting, arrangements, plenty of diversity and hooks - definitely a winner!

mpayan, HeyBullfrog, Bevok and 7 others like this.
  21. stever

stever Senior Member

I’m going to have to check out the Jessie Ware, especially if it has a vintage disco vibe.

I’ve got the new Haim coming this week. I blew off their first two albums, but I like a couple of the new songs that I’ve heard. I like the choreographed video on the outdoor b-ball court.

22. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I've been kind of out of the loop on this one. That's a great song.

Bevok and Freedom Rider like this.
  23. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

Honestly, this year has been basically 3 albums for me....new Jason Isbell, Mandy Moore, and Morgan James.

....and I've spent a good deal of listing on the Thunder "Please Remain Seated" from a year or two ago that I just got the three disc vinyl set of....and the Grace Potter from end of last year (which was my fave release last year I think)....

There have been others I've listened to an appreciated on some level, but those are the ones on repeat. That I burned CDs of for the car....

mpayan likes this.
  24. Aphoristical

Aphoristical Aphoristic Album Reviews

They've taken a huge leap, right? Their first two albums were charming, but this is way stronger.

Isitquiex and Freedom Rider like this.
  25. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

HAIM....oh yeah, on the playlist right now.

I was pretty good for awhile but my wallet is starting to empty again....