Best New Albums of 2020

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RockOnSon, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

A lot of those are individual songs that also appear on the albums. And there are albums in their discography that are missing on Bandcamp, including the great Wammo, and Strobosphere and Trinine from 2012 and 2013 (solid reunion efforts).

I'm not saying that it's a bad deal, but Bailterspace have ten albums, and a few EP's, not 24 albums.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    ralphb likes this.
  2. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Oh my. Okay, I stand corrected. I've been remiss in buying anything from them after Robot World, so I have a bit of catching up to do.
    Looks like the new one is a good starting point.

3. Keam

Keam Isn't it funny how the rain gets in?

Kitkat & Meditation - Zara Phillips

Great powerfull stuff - she's one I'll ve keeping an eye on going forward. Richard Thompson lent his voice and some guitar skills to the project. Also produced the whole thing for good messure.

Beamish13 and NorthNY Mark like this.
  4. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

listening now.

(btw, I think you meant Thompson "lent" his voice and guitar skills.)

5. Keam

Awesome. Hope you like it too. And yes, that might be the word. Not a native speaker so I get confused hehe. I'll fix it.

peskypesky and NorthNY Mark like this.
  6. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

A great album, very similar to their first, both of which are quite a departure from Ripley Johnson’s other two bands, Wooden Shjips and Moon Duo.

7. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The Barwick album is great. It was on in a record store I visited last week and sounded so good, that I had to take it. Especially since it includes a signed print. :righton:

Davey likes this.
  8. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

Wow--I really like this! It feels almost purposely timeless in stylistic execution, with neither trendy nor obviously retro vocal mannerisms or production techniques. But the key thing is that I didn't want it to end--she had a rich voice, and the melody and backing arrangement (including the harmony vocal) is compelling.

9. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

Nicely done, wish the current situation allowed for more of that around here in my part of the world. The copy of the Barwick album I ordered has the release date bumped out to the end of August now, hate when that happens, may have to cancel and get someplace else.

Neonbeam likes this.
  10. NorthNY Mark

This totally nails the "brooding Eastern/Central European art film" atmosphere I really dig. I'll be exploring this further!

Davey likes this.
  11. Davey

The initial release on light blue vinyl is apparently not very good, pretty noisy, at least on a couple trouble tracks based on comments at discogs, so I'm waiting for comments on the new black pressing, haven't seen any yet. The KWIATY press on the clear and purple vinyl sounds good. But I'm happy with the digital for the new one, so no biggie.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  12. Keam

Right?! When I first heard of it on Richard's quarantine streams, I was like... 'we'll she seems to have a nice voice maybe I'll try it'...then when I did, it was just...wow! It completely blew me away and way exceeded all my expectations. That voice is amazing!

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  13. NorthNY Mark

Thanks for that additional feedback. Because I've recently upgraded my digital player, I'm more open now to digital formats than I was before, especially if they have properly dynamic mastering and the vinyl is known to have pressing issues. That said, I'm so glad I got the Revolutionary Army of the Infant Jesus album package on vinyl, as the presentation is so exquisite (a word I wouldn't normally think to use without irony) that it adds to the musical experience for me. I assume yours must have arrived by now--I don't think I've seen you share your thoughts on it yet (outside of the download).

14. NorthNY Mark

Yes--it really took me by surprise. I can't wait to hear more!

Keam likes this.
  15. peskypesky

my three favorites so far are all from women:
    Porridge Radio - Every Bad
    Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher
    Lucinda Williams - Good Souls Better Angels

there are a bunch of others I really like, but those are the three that have resonated the most with me.

jimbo3688 likes this.
  16. peskypesky

have only heard a couple of songs off Shirley Collins' new album...but I think it will be on my 2020 list of faves...

deege3000 likes this.
  17. Davey

Yea, I did get it a couple weeks ago, already knew I loved it, so not too much more to say, but agree with your assessment of the vinyl, does add quite a bit to the experience. I did post some pics and a few words in another thread and raised some more interest, so that was cool ... What is currently spinning on your turntable?

18. Davey

The new Rival Consoles album out last week and really sounding good, Articulation. His last one Persona is a huge favorite, one of the best of 2018 for me, easily. Beautiful 2-LP set on clear vinyl too. The official vinyl release for this new one looks to be 9/11. Just six songs and under 34 minutes, so this will be a single LP.

woodpigeon, Wild Frank and Joe Spivey like this.
  19. NorthNY Mark

Ahh--I don't follow that thread, so missed those posts. Glad to see your beautiful pictures caught some folks' interest! It looks like you have the same front cover as I do--they indicated that there were two variations. I wonder what the alternate looks like.

20. Davey

Yea, I know, we just have a running thread on the hardware board, trying to keep turntables in the pictures so it doesn't get moved, a lot of people only post in one or the other area, music or hardware, not both. But I kinda bounce back and forth :)

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  21. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

COVID-19 be damned, it's still been a fruitful year in music to my ears and 2020 releases from the following artists have all in some way helped me stay sane and entertained through the pandemic ...

My Morning Jacket
    The Beths
    X
    Richard Thompson (EP)
    Art Blakey, archival from Blue Note
    HAIM
    Nada Surf
    Bob Dylan
    Khruangbin
    Steve Earle
    Lucinda Williams
    Rose City Band
    Willie Nelson
    Fiona Apple
    Tame Impala
    Datura4
    Gerry Cinnamon
    Gordon Lightfoot
    Transcontinental Guitar Trio
    Harry Nilsson (archival)
    Joe Ely
    Kacy & Clayton
    M. Ward
    Neil Young (archival and new)
    Pernice Brothers
    Secret Sisters
    Dinner Party (9th Wonder, Robert Glaspar, Terrace Martin)
    U.S. Girls
    Ray Lamontagne
    Waxahatchee
    Caroline Rose
    Larkin Poe
    Snowgoose

and probably a few more I'm forgetting plus 2019 catch-ups ...

Looking forward to new albums from legendary Dan Penn and young wunderkind Colter Wall in August ...

22. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

I listen to Persona frequently and really enjoy it no matter how many times it gets played. I need to dive in a bit more with Articulation...perhaps the upcoming LP release will help.

Davey likes this.
  23. Davey

Yea, I don't know how it will compare with Persona, that one is such a big favorite, kind of a revelation at the time for me, such an emotional trip, and this one is so new. I'd guess that Persona will always have the edge for me, but I'm enjoying this one a lot too, just maybe in a little different way, maybe not as deeply.

Joe Spivey likes this.
  24. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Me too... now that I know they're forthcoming. :tiphat:

25. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I like this little album a lot