Best Pink Floyd live album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Feathers, Nov 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

You’re not the only one...

andrewskyDE and fishcane like this.
  2. pinktree1

pinktree1 Forum Resident

Stereo-Video, Surround-Video, Surround-Audio, Stereo-Audio or Headphone-Audio?.

3. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I just want a stereo mix. The old home video versions sound like they were folded down from Quad, but not entirely expertly, the DVD has been Noise-Reduced to death, and the Jackson remix is way too harsh

NunoBento likes this.
  4. pinktree1

pinktree1 Forum Resident

The guys at YEESHKUL! say, the 1986 UK VHS has the best sound.

[​IMG]

NunoBento likes this.
  5. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Yeah, this guy put it over the edge. [​IMG]
    Him and the leaping drummer.

6. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Weird call, but ok

7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Tough choice for me, as I love many PF live recordings. The Wembley '74 gig is amazing, but so is the Wall live album.
    Ummagumma live disc, BBC sessions, Fillmore '70, the Man/Journey concert... all top notch really. Also love Delicate Sound Of Thunder and p·u·l·s·e.
    Pompeii is a great music film (still hoping for a proper HD release on Blu-ray). And then we also have audience tapes, two of the best from there is Stockholm '67 and Oakland '77.

CybrKhatru and jay.dee like this.
  8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

That bothers me a bit, too. But generally the whole gig is superb.
    By the way, wish there was one (full) concert from that tour filmed. At least we have that rehearsal footage from Royal Festival Hall...

dkmonroe likes this.
  9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Great concert. I think this is sourced from soundboard (CD1 tracks 1-5, CD2 tracks 1 and 2) and audience tape (CD2 tracks 3-5).

ralphb likes this.
  10. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I caught the east coast leg of that tour at Fillmore East, and have always considered it one of the best concerts I've ever seen. That cd definitely lives up to my memories of the show.

andrewskyDE and jay.dee like this.
  11. UmmaGumma live disk followed by Pompei.

12. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

When the Wembley 74 show was still only the Brain Damage b00t, I'd sneak it on the turntable as friends would slowly realize it wasn't the DSOTM album but was its live recreation. A great recording of a great show.

CybrKhatru likes this.
  13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yeah, it's one of those things where you think, "This was such great rock theater, why the heck didn't they think to film it?"

andrewskyDE likes this.
  14. Yes, Embryo and Green is The Color /CWTAE from '70 and Fat Old Sun from '71 are flawless. Was there a small studio audience for the Paris theater BBC shows?

CybrKhatru likes this.
  15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

This, or even their first live concept Games For May. A full Syd/Floyd concert on film!

dkmonroe likes this.
  16. dkmonroe

Yes, and it's NUTS that there isn't a truly decent Syd/Floyd concert available in film or even audio, really. Geez, on one of the more prominent ones (included in TEY I think) there's all the instruments but the vocals weren't recorded! Again, how does that happen?!

andrewskyDE likes this.
  17. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

I have two different "live at Pompeii" versions. The old experimental one from decades ago, which sucks, and the new David Gilmore concert, which is the best of them all, but not technically PF. So I chose the second best, Pulse. I was one of those guys on the internet waiting, for years, for the DVD to come out since I lost my Laserdisc copy in a divorce.

But frankly, Brit Floyd, in many ways, does that concert even better. There is a lot better tech for the light show now.

18. Vinyl is final

I have to ask, when people say Pompeii, are they talking about the fairly recent blueray release, or that experimental nonsense from the 70's? I assumed it was the latter.

19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Yeah, the Stockholm tape didn't capture much vocals (great performance though). Maybe it was technical issues. Maybe also Syd himself.
    I've read about the Piper recording sessions that Syd's vocals were 'hard' to record because he wasn't loud enough. They built up a vocal booth for him and tried the best to record his parts separately.
    (Could be wrong though, I've read this on Wikipedia.^^)

dkmonroe likes this.
  20. dkmonroe

They're usually talking about the actual Pink Floyd concert film, which most Floyd fans actually like.

Now are you going to continue to try to ruffle feathers by insulting it, or what?

21. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Anyone knows the exact dates of the Wembley recordings circulating? It was a four-night run and I am not sure that the boot above came from November 14th only, especially that the official BBC-sourced release was supposed to be recorded on November 16th.

PINK FLOYD - Wembley, Empire Pool 1974

22. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I hope he's just confusing the theatrical film version with the one with CGI effects that director Maben added years later, which indeed is experimental nonsense.^^

23. Vinyl is final

Nope. No need.

24. dkmonroe

I'm pretty sure (from his first post) that he's comparing the recent David Gilmour Live at Pompeii to Pink Floyd At Pompeii. And he's letting us know that Pink Floyd's performance "sucks" and is "nonsense." There's also a "look at me" angle.

NunoBento likes this.
  25. Vinyl is final

Yep. That's it exactly! :D

Not really. The thoughts just went straight from my brain to the keyboard. I had no idea I was goring anyone's ox. I've never discussed it with anyone before and assumed it was the equivalent of saying the sun sets in the west.

Obviously art is subjective. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.