best record store in Los Angeles area?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by chacha, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meddle_Guy

Meddle_Guy Forum Resident

Hmmm, I'm going to have to make a drive out to SoundStation. :righton:

2. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

They've greatly increased their stock of records and have cut back on CDs. They only problem is that their selection remains pretty crappy. Still, I go by there once every month or two, make a trawl through the bins after putting back the stuff that's in poor shape usually have three to five great-condition albums for only a few bucks each, if that. It's not what it could be, but it is what it is.

3. gst510

gst510 Forum Resident

My two favorites:

PM Sounds in Old Torrance - Great Jazz Selection

Record Recycler at the corner of Artesia and Crenshaw in Torrance - A lot of turnover and good prices

4. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Another vote for Ameoba in LA. I only go there aobut twice a year, when visiting relatives, and usualy get about $200 in trade on cds and lps (always more than i'd get on the central coast...) and spend another $300, hence my limited ability to indulge, but boy do I love it... Last month they had a copy of LA Woman on DCC in their new and rare used section, for $70, as i had it i passed... I did find two targets and, behind the counter, the Cat Gold box, three cd set, for $100, which i boiught... always love their folk section, cdsa and lps, good stuff there, and this time i went a bit hog wild and bought some nice, clean, 50s/60s Elektra vinyl, cheap... I love this store, though I've nevee explored it beyond rock Lps cds, snewa dna used, and the folk section...I'd still give the SF Ameoba the slight edge, overal...

Next time, I must check out these places you posted on on Colorado Blvd, in Pasadena... and the Freakbeat place in SFValley... Thanks god I dont live in SF or LA, as I be eternally broke, and divorced...:shh:;):righton:

5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

How are they set for used CD's?

6. readingm

readingm Senior Member

Record Surplus is the only thing I miss about L.A.

7. dmt

dmt Forum Resident

My favorite store for vinyl is Bagatelle in Long beach.
    260 Atlantic Ave
    Long Beach, CA 90802
    (562) 432-7534

Great vinyl selection, and the owners are the best!

If you are into dance music and want 12" import/domestic vinyl stuffs I recommend: Dr. Freeclouds in Fountain Valley, Grooveriders in Sherman Oaks, DJ Culture in Huntington Beach, Exodus records in Rosemead is good for more commercial dance music. those stores are great if you wanna listen to your records and don't carry around a Vestax handy trax around the store with you as if you were at Amoeba.

RIP: Noise Noise noise in the OC, Arons, Stacks, Music Revolutions vinyl section in Anaheim and Wax records in Hollywood :(

8. gst510

gst510 Forum Resident

Not a huge selection. To tell you the truth I don't believe I've ever seen anyone purchase a CD there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.