Best Safe CD / DVD Cleaning Spray?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wickedfox, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Wickedfox

Wickedfox Member Thread Starter

I've Been Looking For The Best CD / DVD Cleaning Spray That Won't Damage The CDS Material. One Spray I Heard Good Reviews About Is Shine-ola By Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs (MOFI: Shine-Ola CD/DVD/SACD Cleaner ). Which Is Safe For SACDs As Well! People Are Saying They Hear A Difference In Quality After Using It Which Is Great, But Some Reported There Was Residue Left Behind After Using It. I Want It To Clean, NOT Leave Residue Behind Potentially Damaging It.

Another Option I Was Thinking Is Phoenix By Sleevecityusa (8 oz spray cleaning kit of phoenix cd dvd cleaning solution and cleaning accessories ). It Contains No Alcohol Or Detergent That Can Destroy Cd Material. But I Heard One Report That It Destroyed Someone's CDs.

I Want Someone Who Had Experience With Either Of These Products To Tell Me If It's Worth It Or If There's A Better Alternative. Need Something Thats Safe And Won't Damage CD / SACD / HDCD / SHM-CD Or CDRs And Wont Leave Behind Residue Or Streaks / Marks! Also, A Nice Soft, Smooth Cloth That Doesn't Scratch.

Thanks For Taking Your Time To Read This. I Hope To Hear Your Opinion!!!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  2. George P

George P Notable Member

When necessary, I wash my CDs in the kitchen sink with dish detergent. Costs me nothing and always works fine.

Gie663, Ste_S, Galley and 15 others like this.
  3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

This is exactly how I clean all of my CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays when needed. The only difference is I use Soft Soap hand soap. Most times it's only needed with rental Blu-rays or discs I bought used. I try to handle discs only on the outer edges when possible.

4. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

[​IMG]
    I use this stuff.

5. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Rubbing alcohol is perfectly safe and cheap as dirt.

6. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

99.9% Isopropyl alcohol will work fine.

7. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I don't think I've ever had to clean a CD. Maybe I have with a little exhale of breath and wiping it on a cotton t-shirt. in any event, I would guess what Oelewapper suggests would be what I'd try if I had a gunked up CD.

8. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

And works great!

Carl Swanson likes this.
  9. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I shop at a thrift store, but surprisingly enough, less than about 20% of the CDs need any cleaning . . . other than an occasional breath fog.

audiomixer likes this.
  10. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I buy lots of used CDs. They all get cleaned top and bottom. After that, I doubt they get wiped down.

BrentB likes this.
  11. starkiller

starkiller Forum Resident

Have used Osage's Listener Select Optical Disc Cleaner for a number of years with probably around 5k CD's cleaned with no issue so would recommend them :)

12. brockgaw

brockgaw Forum Resident

Optrix.

Vinyl Kix and Tim 2 like this.
  13. moops

moops Senior Member

If it's a used CD with fingerprints and general smudges, I use a gentle dish detergent, luke warm water and a microfiber cloth like you would use on the lenses of your eye glasses. I don't bother attempting to remove scratches, if it plays after the cleaning, I'm good.

It astounds me though after digging through used bins for many a year, how terribly some treat their CDs.

Shak Cohen, tin ears and CDFanatic like this.
  14. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

CDs? Most used records I came across in years past were in terrible condition. I'm guessing people stacked them on changers, left them on the floor, and spilled drinks on them. Not to mention the smoking... I've been luckier with CDs (and cassettes).

luckybaer and moops like this.
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I use 91% and it also cleaned my DVDs that were subjected to the Scanvo clear cases that gooed up and fogged the play surface side of the DVDs...some box sets were plagued by this reaction to those DVD cases...I had at least a half dozen or more!

16. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

If a CD has fingerprints or smudges on it, I wipe it carefully with a microfiber cloth. Never used any sort of liquid or cleanser on a CD or other optical disc. I've never found it to be necessary.

17. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I've used Goo Gone on CD's many times to get the sticky stuff that some how transferred onto the CD's bought used at thrift stores. There's always some kind of junk that gets on used CD's. I clean them up with Goo Gone and they all play fine. For light clean up I just use Zeiss lens wipes.

18. exoendria

exoendria Forum Resident

I put them gently in my dishwasher on the Glasscare cycle :cool:

No, seriously, I wash them with dish soap and clean hands when they come from a careless consumer.

And, if they are just a little bit dirty, I use isopropyl alcohol and very smooth old cotton rags.

If I'm lazy I can eventually put the jewel box in the dishwasher.

19. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

Spit and a t-shirt works for me.

GungaLagunga and BillWojo like this.
  20. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I've been using Optrix for years with great results and no damage.
    Made specifically for compact disc's.
    It's saved many disc's from the trash and one bottle last's for years.
    [​IMG]

21. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

This one cleans very well, is well regarded as being safe AND is the first CD cleaning product that I used that also improved sound ( and I tried a few, incl. pure IPA and hand wash). Spray on and carefully wipe with a soft (untreated) paper towel from inside to outside. Very happy with it.
    [​IMG]

22. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

In what way did it improve the sound?

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  23. Gamer_299

Gamer_299 Well-Known Member

yeah i feel like thats some BS, the red book error correction is amazing.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  24. LakeMountain

More transparency and dynamics, mostly on recordings with multiple instruments.

25. LakeMountain

Thx for the vote of confidence.;).
    In theory error correction is great, but in practice CD replay can improve with good anti vibration support or a better CD transport, as well, not to mention UHQCD( but that’s all discussed in different threads).

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    Lowrider75 and 2channelforever like this.