Best Song on Pink Floyd’s ‘Atom Heart Mother’? Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

APB has no votes? Surprising.

There's always some weirdo who votes for the strangest generally least likeable track :p

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Me too but I merged them back into one track after editing out the noises. Often do this with Zappa too.

Frozensoda and Pete Puma like this.
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Fat Old Sun is the best of the songs, but I always preferred Floyd's extended instrumentals to their songs so I went with the title track, which I most often enjoy on a CDR I compiled that includes only their instrumental cuts and other songs with long instrumental segments like Echoes. It also includes the edit of APB described above.

Frozensoda likes this.
  4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i love the whole album, but the mother gets my vote

5. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I took this photo in Norway last year. It always reminds me of Atom Heart Mother.

[​IMG]

6. Yufri

Yufri Forum Resident

After much consideration it has to be Fat Old Sun. I love the englishness of this track so much.

7. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Fat Old Sun for me, and I edited Breakfast to about 6- 1/2 minutes.

Rfreeman likes this.
  8. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

I've always loved the main suite from the moment I first heard it so that would be my favourite although Summer 68 would be my next one.

9. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

Not trying to be wacky, ironic or contrary but I genuinely consider Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast to be my favourite Floyd song.

10. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

Lol fair enough. I really enjoy it.

11. Colin Allstations

I'm not saying it is their greatest achievement or anything, but as a personal favourite it ticks a lot of boxes for me.

Atom Heart Mother is also my favourite Floyd album, I think everyone plays a blinder on it with their contributions. 'If' is absolutely one of the most brilliant things Waters ever did, I'm listening to it now and it could be something Kevin Ayres wrote. I can't relate it much to the angry, shouting till he's blue in the face Waters of just a few years later. I liked him so much better before he began addressing the state of the universe.

12. Prowler

Prowler Forum Resident

I like the A side of the album WAY more than the B side

so, since the A side only has 1 track it's a easy choice :)

13. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

I love APB too! It's my second-favorite track on the disc. Those unusual, winding chord changes in Morning Glory -- which sound like Rick Wright's work to me -- are just awesome.

moodyxadi and Rick Robson like this.
  14. Slice

Slice Fan Of Rock

This album is a tough listen.

15. simond9x

simond9x Forum Resident

I saw them do it live in Manchester

16. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I'd probably go with Summer of '68, one of Rick's greatest tracks. Atom Heart Mother is obviously the core of the album but it just seems a bit "clunky" to me-like they just couldn't quite get it right and weren't sure what to do with it. Some nice moments though and I'm sure a nice warm up to the later perfectly executed Echoes.
    Fat Old song is a live favorite of mine but seems kind of insignificant on the album comparatively speaking.

Choba b CCCP likes this.
  17. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

FOS..my favorite song on my favorite album by my favorite band,hope to have it played at my funeral.

18. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

I really like everything including "Alan’s Psychedelic Breakfast”. I voted for it, love Wright's piano playing and atmosphere created by its great arrangement. It's a surprise to me it's the least voted with only 6 votes.

moodyxadi and Colin Allstations like this.
  19. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

"If" sounds to me all about Waters, not by accident it's my least favourite.

moodyxadi and Frozensoda like this.
  20. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Honestly, all the tracks on here are a little on the weak side. Together, they make a greater whole, and I do like the album.

I went with the title track, which is itself flawed, but has some good moments.

It really, really reminds me of The Grateful Dead (as does some of the more pastoral takes from Zabriskie Point), definitely not a bad thing.

21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Title track. I never tire of it

Rick's Summer '68 is runner up.

22. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

I just can't recall right now another Floyd track with the symphonic approach of "Summer '68". I wonder whether it's also due to Geesin's great contribution to that album, and perhaps the main reason for AHM (the album) having received such an unfair bashing by the band members back then. Summer '68 never was performed live, methinks. Anyway, the last times I listened to Summer '68 I spun 'Autumn '68' as a segue - it functioned as a perfect follow-up to me.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  23. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

The title track, by a significant margin.

24. Colin Allstations

I disagree, I think it sounds quite relatable. I love Waters solo contributions of this era and think he comes across more like a regular guy than the later material he's become more commonly associated with.

25. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

For me it has to be the title track. It might be the only 20+ minute song in existence that on any given day, I could listen to from start to finish and thoroughly enjoy.

The album as a whole is great, and one of the most underrated Floyd records. The only song I'm not crazy about is "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.