Best Sounding 1970-1980 Vintage SS Receiver

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by allied333, Jul 24, 2022.

1. allied333

allied333 Audiophile Thread Starter

Could not find this question in archives, so here we go.
    What is the best sounding 1970 to 1980 solid-state vintage receiver you heard? For me, by a long shot the Onkyo TX-2500 MKII. The TX-4500 and TX-6500 is same with more power output.
    This receiver was shocking as it sounded like a quality tube amp and the phono-stage was excellent. Other vintage receivers soundstage ended at speaker edges, the Onkyo soundstage was way beyond the speaker edges. This receiver is easy to rebuild with lots of room around the electrolytic capacitors. I use Elna Silmic II audio grade capacitors in the capacitor coupling position, but frankly the original sounded excellent. The TX-2500 MKII is 40 watts per channel 8 ohms, TX-4500 60 watts per channel 8 ohms and TX-6500 100 watts per channel 8 ohms. All receivers drive 4 ohm speakers with higher power vs 8 ohms.
    I believe this Onkyo can complete with new amps in the $1.5K and higher range. TX-2500MKII is about $200 in operating condition on eBay.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
  2. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

^^^^^ I had a TX4500 years ago. The Onk was indeed a very nice receiver but thinking it might compete with say the upper end models from Sui G series, Pio SX series or Sanyo Plus series is wishful thinking from my experience with it.
    My favorite receiver from that era is a Mcintosh mac4100. It's an excellent all around performer but I won't lay claims to it besting separates' or anything else that's out of it's category.

jimmie42 and timind like this.
  3. allied333

Note: the Oxkyo TX-2500 MKII does not have an AUX input for CD players. It has a RCA Tape in that can work with a CD player, but is rated at a low 150mv. It may need a 12dB plug in attenuator.

Michael Kuiken and The FRiNgE like this.
  4. allied333

I used Revel M22 quality speakers with my Onkyo, you likely used mediocre speakers and why you were not impressed. Anyways, your review and my review are night and day difference. I owned a Sansui G-7000 and the Onkyo way outperformed it. I did not want this post to get off to a bad start with your negative comment on the stellar performing Onkyo discouraging others. A few audiophiles stated the Onkyo TX series is the best sounding receiver that they used too. Here:

'Almost all the onkyo tx lines sounds phenomenal. I had a TX-6500 and that was a beautiful and a monster size amp so I sold it. What I truly regretted is giving away TX-21. That amp is low-mid power. In my onion a well oiled amp like this will blow away a lot of medium-high dollar amps today'.

5. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Probs hard for anyone to make any claims besides really dedicated AudioKarma-posting vintage-loving types that have heard over 50 or so pieces restored to or beyond spec.

Cheating but the best vintage piece period I’ve heard is the Apt Holman / Amp1 stack. Very well designed, natural / neutral sound, exceptionally featured phono pre for that era. Receiver? Maybe one of the monsters from Kenwood or Pioneer, there’s something fun about having all that power. I’m generally not looking to 70s gear for anything beyond power and punch ie “fun”, I think modern gear is far more “refined” and measures that way.

I’d like to hear more Onkyo stuff, my experience from them is with turntables and 00s BOTL AVRs.

timind likes this.
  6. motorstereo

No unfortunately my experience with the 4500 does not match yours. I found mine to be a decent receiver but nothing about it made me think giant killer. I'm just relating my experience and trying my best to be truthful here.
    Enjoy your vintage Onk gear in good health sir.

7. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

My dad had a couple of Tandberg receivers that sounded great. I recall the on-board tuners being excellent....I recorded a lot stuff to cassettes and years later I still marvel at the sound quality

8. Frank Bisby

Frank Bisby Forum Resident

McIntosh, MAC 4100

[​IMG]

9. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Rabbits and beer...

Harmon Kardon "Twin Power" HK-x30 series receivers used to get a fair amount of mention from the heritage Klipsch crowd.

[​IMG]

10. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

I think receivers look amazing but i like the simplicity of integrated amps better…I don’t listen to the radio and there is a $hit ton of stuff inside just for the tuner…plus crosstalk is a concern…

My backup,

[​IMG]Sitting in basement…gathering dust…it needs a recap anyway…

11. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

The Yamaha CA 1000 MK 1 Class A or Class AB from 1973 fabulous SS sound

12. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Sony STR-6055.

[​IMG]

13. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus

When I grew up, the mantra was Marantz makes the amps. Pioneer makes the speakers.

Stuff like McIntosh, HK, etc., wasn’t around where I was.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  14. allied333

Myself and another audiophile were stunned by the Onkyo. It had to be your poor speakers. Speakers can subtract greatly from quality sound.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  15. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

THERE IS NO 'BEST SOUNDING' INTEGRATED!!!

It all depends on your system, room and how YOU think music should sound!

Each brand has its own 'house' sound and YOU will have to make the decision!

Marantz is highly overrated (and over priced) and you can buy similar sounding amps from Sony, Pioneer, Yamaha, etc for a lot cheaper!!

16. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Man, I'm amazed that those solid state receivers from that period get the "cred" they do, especially from the younger folks. There was a store here in Austin that specialized in these (now gone). Walking in was a time warp for me- I used to sling hi-fi in the '70s and don't have particularly fond memories of the sound of any of 'em, but I had begun using tubes by around '73, so I'm "biased." (ahem).
    The ones that really got me were mid-decade- the quadraphonic receivers- looked like the flight deck of a 747 with joy stick, double rows of buttons.
    I guess some of that stuff is still restorable. I do remember the Tandbergs- very nicely designed- probably cost a fortune to fix today (for some reason, I think Soundsmith works on 'em, but I may be wrong).

GreenFuz, KT88, jimmie42 and 3 others like this.
  17. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Senior Member

Sansui G7700

18. motorstereo

It was a rotation system; probably klh, ADS, Avids, Walsh 4's, Infinitys, Talon Khorus or BA's. This was back in the days when people were dumping their silver faced gear for ht gear. So with a little luck once could home with some fine gear to play around with for not much $. Sadly those days have long since passed around here.
    Perhaps I should've given the unassuming Onk more listening time. But given the stiff competition it had plus no aux and no pre outs meant it didn't get much attention.

19. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I got a Sony STR 6065 a few months ago. I'm really enjoying it.

20. allied333

No AUX in is replaced with the RCA tape in. But at a lower rated 150mv input, 12dB attenuators are likely best for CD players.

21. Frank Bisby

Is this thread an attempt at discussing vintage receivers or just telling everyone Onkyo are the best because “many audiophiles” say it’s so?

I’d be very interested in learning who these audiophiles are. There are more than 100,000 audiophiles here and I don’t think you will find a second post in the 20 years this forum has been around that makes this claim. And there are many discussions of vintage equipment. I doubt you will find published reviewers that would make this claim at the time of production, now or at any point. It’s the kind of receiver you find for cheap at a thrift store and are pleasantly surprised with after you put some work into it. Onkyo was really never the best at anything and never tried to be.

I’m a collector of vintage electronics and have been for many, many years. 15 years ago you could find these and most others for next to nothing at estate sales or just out on curb for garbage. I’ve literally taken in hundreds as if they were stray kittens, brought them back to health, found them new homes and kept enough that I’ve nearly been kicked out of my own home. eBay has killed that fun to a large extent, a quick search an a seller sees big money where they once had no idea.

If this is an open conversation about vintage receivers at the title suggests, I will tell you the best one isn’t going to be universal for everyone. As always, what speakers you are using is going to make all the difference. My preference is to pair vintage receivers with the speakers of their era, what they were designed to work with and how they were voiced. This is where things get very complicated. The best receiver for a dahlquist dq-10 and a Klipsch Cornwall or Altec model 19’s are going to be very different. A pair of JBL L100’s, Advents or any one of the speakers made by pioneer, Marantz, Sansui or other house brands will also be a case by case situation.

And if we are being honest, they are all kind of bad by today’s standards. Don’t get me wrong, I like it but it’s like driving a 65 mustang and saying it will out perform a new one. Technology moves forward and it has as it relates to preamps, especially with the phonostage. The amplifier section of vintage receivers holds up but anything making less than 100 wpc is rough to use with most modern speakers. A 40wpc amp and speakers that were designed to run with four times as much power is a great way to clip and blow tweeters.

Another thing to keep in mind is that as time went on a lot of production was outsource and competing brands were coming off the same assembly lines with different face plates. There is an MCS, Sansui, and Marantz that look nearly identical. Just like those brands have speakers and turntables that were not made by their employees. Many times the differences in vintage products are cosmetic. If you pull the jumpers on the back and only use the amplifier section with your own separate preamp, there isn’t a lot of difference between brands (If making the same power), the big difference in house sound is how they goose the EQ. Sansui has more bass, pioneer more treble and Marantz is in the middle. Onkyo, Sony, luxman, Rotell, MCS, Yamaha, Scott, HK and many others all make a very nice “Flagship” model but they all made stuff down line to hit a price point for k-mart or some other high volume retailer.

The thing to keep in mind is that the home audio market was VERY different from 1970-1080. It would be far more common for a kid to have a stereo in his room than a TV. The high end or “audiophile” market wasn’t where these companies were making their money. And let’s face it, most speakers of the the time were not making a lot high end clarity and bass detail. Old amps didn’t need to sound all that good because you wouldn’t be able to hear it on the speakers of the day (For the most part).

the brand that was only making products for audiophiles, doing it domestically and not making any compromises for mass market retail partners was McIntosh. I have fooled around with every brand I can find and I can tell you without any question in my mind, they made the best vintage receiver. And the phonostage still sounds bad compared to what you can get today in and external if you spend at least $500.

wallabeing, ronm, Ere and 17 others like this.
  22. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

Not a big receiver guy - but I would be looking at McIntosh, Marantz, the better Sansui units, Harmon Kardon, and, of course $$$, Accuphase (integrated with a separate tuner methinks).

KT88 and Frank Bisby like this.
  23. Frank Bisby

I believe accuphase was “kensionic” in the 70’s and didn’t really sell products in the US. Kenwood was part owner of the company and controlled the US market. I’m not positive but I’ve never seen an Accuphase of that vintage but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one if I saw it. Certainly top tier integrated of today.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  24. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

You sure do talk a lot but obviously don't have much practical experience....just like in the JBL Monitor Speaker conversation where you stated they had Blue Baffles which I proved you to be completely wrong for the 70's - Mid 80s models. You sure ran away from that conversation fast when the JBL Online History was put up.

I consider myself pretty astute in the Vintage Receiver market. Had well over 100....and all at the same time. Didn't have to rely on "Audio Memory" which is basically worthless. ONKYO 8500 is one of the finest Receivers ever made. Better than any Pioneer or Marantz and Ive had almost all of the Monster receivers of those brands. The TOTL Kenwood KR9600 and Sansui G series are also in the upper echelon. The DARK HORSES and the best bang for the buck were the SANYO JCX2900 and Sherwood 9910....prices have doubled on those in the past year. You use to be able to get them for 400-500.

The Pioneer Integrated models 9100, 9500 etc are MUCH better than the SX-1250 (The best sounding Pioneer Monster) and you can get those very reasonably. They just don't look cool. Kind of like the Luxman 595A amp made today. If you don't care about appearance and just want great sound at a reasonable price grab these up before people catch on.

TOTL Luxman have more detail than the rest but suffer in the world of Rock unfortunately. Jazz and Classical only.

In my opinion SONY, Yamaha "Natural Sound", Tandberg are the bottom of the barrel. Its a shame cause some of the Sony VTR models look great...but all show and no go.

I only used various JBL Monitors with all of the above so cant make comparisons as to how things would differ on other brands of speakers. [​IMG]

25. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I've got the feeling that this isn't going to end well.