Best Sounding Beach Boys Releases (Audio Quality)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yesteryear, Mar 1, 2021.

1. yesteryear

yesteryear Wild Honey Laureate Thread Starter

TL;DR What's your opinion of the best sounding (audiophile quality or close to it) releases for albums and/or compilations? What are your preferred releases for certain songs/singles/mixes/remixes?

I've never been much of an audiophile. I've always loved my music despite having very budget set ups. Though I'm becoming more and more inclined to improve my gear as well as the releases I'm paying for/subjecting myself to.

As far as audio quality is concerned, I've read great things about the AP releases of Beach Boys albums. I've read good things about the Sounds of Summer compilation, Classics Selected By Brian Wilson, Good Vibrations [Box Set], etc.

But I'm hoping to get a little more input. Whats your opinion of the best sounding releases for albums or compilations? What are your preferred releases for certain songs/singles? I've often seen people quote certain comps for their favorite mixes/releases of songs. I'm looking for both vinyl as well as CD/MP3 for the car/PC.

On that note, hearing this extremely familiar song on this (new to me) comp was revelatory.

Hep Alien and oldsurferdude like this.
  2. So many choices, but for LP’s originally issued up to 1969 I generally prefer the green labeled Capitol reissues from the early 1980’s (with ‘Mastered By Capitol’ in the dead wax). From Sunflower - Holland early Reprise pressings sound awesome.

For CD I like the Past Masters series, although those aren’t perfect. Of course they lack bonus tracks too. I’ve never compared all the various Pet Sounds CDs so can’t comment there.

yesteryear likes this.
  3. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I think the AP reissues are great, but I don't have other vinyl to compare them to.

yesteryear likes this.
  4. yesteryear

Thanks for the replies so far! I've also heard some good about the Past Masters, anyone know if they issued LPS as well? After searching I'm just finding Capitol issues (through Japanese distributors)

5. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

6. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

This has been discussed many times. A quick search should bring up threads for review.

segue likes this.
  7. yesteryear

The search feature doesn't work for ****. All I was able to find was one about Pet Sounds.

Murilove, Funky54 and Man at C&A like this.
  8. This is an old thread (began in 2011) so lots of reissues have come out since it started but it does contain some helpful info regarding LPs:

The Best Beach Boys Vinyl Pressing of Each Album Thread

Hep Alien and Stone Turntable like this.
  9. yesteryear

kyouki likes this.
  10. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

The APs are significantly better than the original Capitols.

11. Country Rocker

Country Rocker Forum Resident

I have all the standard releases on vinyl and CD. With a few audiophile editions too. Out of all the regular releases, nothing sounds as good as this. And I mean nothing. The sound on this compilation is amazing!! [​IMG]

12. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

My advice for this kind of post is to actually include some helpful links to past threads in a friendly FYI manner, particularly if it really is a simple matter of "a quick search."

:cheers:

The separate question of whether a new thread is unnecessary or redundant or steps on the toes of an existing, still-open thread is trickier. New discussions of perennial topics, even ones that have been exhaustively discussed in the past, are often a good thing.

On topic, I've been most impressed by the fantastic sound quality of the stereo version of Surfer Girl, especially the AP reissue. It's sort of amazing that they hit such an audiophile peak right out of the gate.

13. I won’t buy that on the principal of not supporting product with atrocious artwork!

yesteryear likes this.
  14. Country Rocker

Country Rocker Forum Resident

Well put it in a brown paper bag then. Most people like the artwork Keith McConnel did for The Beach Boys. Including Endless Summer and Spirit Of America.

Lewisboogie and yesteryear like this.
  15. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

16. yesteryear

I've actually had my eye on that one for a while. It's got "How She Boogalooed It" on it haha... but suppose now I have even more reason to get it.

Shawn likes this.
  17. warren

warren Forum Resident

I have listened to most of the AP SACD's redbook layers. They rule.

I have also listened to the stereo AP Surfer Girl vinyl. It rules.

Of course, there's also the DCC CDs and Razor & Tie 2 CD comp mastered by our host. Guess what? They rule.

There's a thread here that should come up if you search "best digital Beach Boys." It also rules!

18. warren

warren Forum Resident

19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Anything that Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman remastered in both domains.

warren and yesteryear like this.
  20. yesteryear

That is fantastic, thanks. Very detailed, comprehensive. Going to copy and paste all that.

Only problem really is it's from 2006. It just makes me wonder if anything has come out since then that would absolutely crush those releases.

warren and O Don Piano like this.
  21. yesteryear

Reckon the upside is i have the means to "preview" before making any extreme purchases.

warren likes this.
  22. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

For my ears I'd take the AP sacd's especially if you do sacd, plus the lp versions they also did if lp matters I haven't heard better.

For compilations the DCC Endless Summer and Spirit of America cds.

Good Vibrations 30th anniversary box set for a overview with the single mixes that sounds great.

warren likes this.
  23. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

When I want to search for something on this forum, I go to Google.
    For instance, type in "best sounding beach boys CDs steve hoffman" hit 'enter/return', and a bunch of thread titles will appear.

24. warren

warren Forum Resident

Keep digging in that thread, good sir, and you'll see a post by a Daniel Plainview that updates the thread in a way I quite agree with.

EDIT: (Well, I agree with the parts I actually know about. He's heard more of these versions than I have.)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    yesteryear likes this.
  25. Beyond Mania

Beyond Mania Forum Resident

Funny this got mention as one with exceptional sound. This is the album in my collection of a couple thousand that is notorious for sibilance and distortion. I upgraded my cart to an AT VM95ML this past week and was loving the hell out of it. It was eliminating sibilance and IGD on everything I was testing...until I remembered and tried this one. Nope, a very very minor improvement, but still bad. I guess it's possible I just got a bad pressing. Too bad, because it's a great song selection and I do like that album art.