Best Sounding Charlie Christian: Minton’s Playhouse 1941?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by scocs, May 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scocs

scocs Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello, there are so many different versions of these recordings on vinyl and cd —but I would love recommendations as to what the best sounding version of the Minton Playhouse 1941 jam sessions with Charlie Christian is on CD ONLY.

Thank you for your help — I currently have the JSP cd “Selected Radio Broadcasts and Jam Sessions.” Hoping there is even better....?

2. scocs

Bump

3. scocs

No jazz fans out there?

4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

All releases are sourced from Jerry Newman's old acetates, so any plus or minus beyond that already limited quality would be what the mastering engineer subjected the source to. I haven't spotted much difference between the CDs and LPs I have.

5. Jim Duckworth

Jim Duckworth I can't lose with the stuff I use.

Thought provoking: I have and have had a number of versions of this, but I cannot distinguish among any version as better....this is probably because of my expectations being pretty low.

6. scocs

From my limited experience, I heard the highly acclaimed “Masters of Jazz” version, but the JSP version to my ears sounds cleaner with a bit more natural instrument differentiation.

Just wondering if others have heard or owned one of the many incarnations of this material?

7. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Maybe as technology improves, so will our versions, I hope.

8. scocs

Maybe....but the JSP cds came out in 2002!

9. Paul Dray

Paul Dray Forum Resident

Just to re-enliven this thread. I’m wanting this recording to buy for the first time on CD and wonder what is considered the best sounding now. I was drawn to this disc OJCCD-1932-2 as it’s using the early ‘after hours’ image and saw that it’s remastered in 2000 by Kirk Felton at Fantasy Studios. Anyone confirm If it’s a good one. Either that or I’ll get a copy of the Vogue 600135 ‘1941 Historical Performances’ disc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.