Best sounding US 'Aftermath'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darthflea, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthflea

darthflea New Member Thread Starter

I know this has been debated at length in the past, with respect to the European versions of the Stones' 'Aftermath' (the West German London CD pressing being the recommended choice by most listeners as well as Steve himself):

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...ftermath+steve

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...54&postcount=4

However, I would like to know which pressing/mastering (CD or Vinyl) is the recommended listening choice for the US version of 'Aftermath' (the one with 'Paint It, Black' et al). Otherwise, I would settle for someone to recommend sticking with the WG London CD but ALSO point me in the direction of other existing Stones' releases (albums, singles, compilations, etc.) which contain the best sounding versions of the US-exclusive tracks from 'Aftermath'.

BTW is an open question, and not restricted to Mr. Hoffman (although this shouldn't discourage you, Steve ;)). ANY input on this matter will be much appreciated...

2. darthflea

Furthermore - I forgot to mention this in the original post - recommendations for the US-Aftermath tracks can be either the stereo or mono mixes of the said tracks.

3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

This is your best bet.

The only US-exclusive Aftermath song is "Paint It Black", which can be found on the WG London Hot Rocks 1 CD.

So with a combination of the WG London CD's of the UK Aftermath and Hot Rocks 1, you can burn a CD-R of the best-sounding US Aftermath.

4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

The London version is the one to get. As George Harrison said "Beware of Abkco".

5. darthflea

Is that the London version of 'Aftermath' or 'Hot Rocks 1' you mean?

6. aoxomoxoa

London Aftermath. Don't know about Hot Rocks.

7. darthflea

I had already guessed that it was the best choice for the UK/EU tracklisting. I was meaning either the US version or another release containing the tracks that were NOT on the UK/EU release - like 'Paint It, Black'.

8. aoxomoxoa

Get the new SACD hybrid for the U.S. version.

9. darthflea

Isn't that release by Abkco?

10. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoxomoxoa
    Get the new SACD hybrid for the U.S. version.

2002 SACD Abkco and 80's Abkco are two very different animals...

11. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

WG London cd version.

12. aoxomoxoa

The SACD Hybrids are quite good, just not as good as the London Aftermath.

13. street legal

street legal Senior Member

There is no WG London of the American version .......

14. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

There is no good CD of the US version of Aftermath.

The old Abkco CD is a muddy folded down mess, and the Abkco remaster is NR'd and has weird filtering.

If you want to hear a great sounding US Aftermath, get the WG London of Aftermath (which only comes in the 14 track UK version), get the WG London of Hot Rocks 1 (for "Paint It Black") and burn your own listening copy to CD-R.

15. aoxomoxoa

Not really sure what the point would be in the US version, other than nostalgia. The UK track list is far superior.

16. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

The U.S. MONO LP of "Aftermath" is a fold-down, no?

Even if it is, how does it sound?

17. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

A matter of taste really. I'm one of the minority who prefers the US track list and especially, the sequencing--esp. on the vinyl. Paint it Black and Goin' Home are exceptionally strong bookends--and as a result, the album is darker. While I like "What To Do" and "Out of Time." I don't really miss "Long Long While" or "Mother's Little Helper". Having "I am Waiting" right before "Goin Home" works really well--there's a sense of foreboding there. Overall, the US Aftermath seems like a dark flipside to the US Rubber Soul in a brilliant way--both albums have definite moods.

To each their own though. :wave:

rollo5 likes this.
  18. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I don't think that's true, I always thought the US London Mono album sounded great, much better than the stereo LP, especially Paint It Black, much more bass and the drums are much louder in the mix too.

The US album is my faviorite. Having Goin' Home on the first side of the UK album is just too much!

19. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

Pick up the old stereo LP to know what is missing from the CDs. It should be easier to come by used than the West German London CD and if you have a vinyl rig that you love, this should be your shortest path to bliss.

The stereo imaging on that LP is a head turner (extreme separation IIRC). Find it and enjoy.

20. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Yes there is...

Misleading statement. Light NR on some intros/outros.

What "weird filtering"? Do you mean the slight narrowing of the (arguably, overly wide) stereo field?

21. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Stick "Paint It Black" at the beginnning of the UK Aftermath for the best version.

Evan

22. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

The remaster is a huge improvement on the old Abkco, but it's nowhere near as good as the London.

Very true, I could have been clearer.

It's been narrowed and the bass has been moved towards the centre of the stereo spread with filtering and EQ.

23. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

+1 London Mono LP for US version. The ABKCO SACD was horrible IMO.

24. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

The SACD US Aftermath is terrible.
    1) They used the stereo version of Paint it Black rather than the mono version.
    2) It doesn't sound great.

So do what I did....pickup the W German London version of Aftermath.
    Then get the SACD Paint it black from the box set Singles

Here is an old Poll I did almost 5 years ago:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=44712

25. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Paint It Black IS in stereo on all US stereo Aftermaths, so what are you talking about?:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.