Best sounding Vinyl pressing of The Velvet Underground’s Loaded

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thomas Hoffer, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Thomas Hoffer

Thomas Hoffer Member Thread Starter

Today I thought of having a ducussion of the best sounding pressing of The Velvet Underground’s Loaded. I’ve seen some talk over the Rhino reissues. But not really much discussion of the original pressing or some of pre-Rhino reissues. I’m particularly interested in the sound quality of the 1973 “Midi” “Original Rock Classics” German Press. And the 2008 “Cotillion” Red Vinyl pressing?

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I don't know about best sound, but the Rocktoberfest release from 2017, includes the full length version of Sweet Jane. I don't know of any other vinyl pressing that includes the bridge.

It's on gold vinyl.

DocShipe and DHamilton like this.
  3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I can’t comment on the ones you’re interested in, but the Rhino reissue is by far my favourite. They did it right, I think. It has great dynamics and bottom end for this one!

4. Thomas Hoffer

I’ve been seeing quite a bit of the Rocktoberfest pressing for sale online. I know Rhino isn’t ever bad with there pressings. In my experience with them. And I think the Extended Version of Sweet Jane began appearing in the 90’s reissues of the album. And I know the extended version can also be found on the 1969 Live Album.

5. Thomas Hoffer

Thanks that’s good to know. I Rhino and there pressings are done pretty well.

Chemguy likes this.
  6. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Maybe just me, but the gold vinyl Rocktober issue on Rhino was pretty harsh to listen to, very jacked up treble to my ears.

I am lucky to have a first pressing US Cotillion, which is lovely sounding. Equally detailed as the Rhino, but much easier on the ears. I know they are not cheap though. I got my copy used many years ago before prices on everything went crazy.

Aftermath, Cassius, ralphb and 2 others like this.
  7. Thomas Hoffer

I’ve been wanting to get a US or UK original for a couple of years now. Because I figure they sound pretty good. And course both being first pressings. But yeah the price has gone so steep. And there pretty tough to find in good condition without shelling out a high price for them. But then again that’s become a thing with most of the Velvet’s catalog. Of course Velvet Underground & Nico being the craziest and hardest to find in good shape with everything in tack. And for a reasonable price.

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's not easy to find, but not incredibly rare or expensive either, but the original UK plum Atlantic label pressing is excellent. The best I've heard. The others I've heard are the UK 1977 reissue and the 80s German Alsdorf pressing. I haven't heard any US or recent pressing.

Aftermath and midniteinsanjuan like this.
  9. Thomas Hoffer

If I go the vintage route I’ll keep that in mind. Which is the route I would like to go with.

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's by far the easiest to find out of the four studio Velvet Underground albums as a UK original. That doesn't make it common, but it's the only one that can be obtained in decent condition without spending a fortune unless you get very lucky.

The plum Atlantic UK issue is pressed on superb quality Polydor vinyl. Their pressings were stunning around this time.

Alf Panek and chrism1971 like this.
  11. Thomas Hoffer

Good to know as well. Thanks for the help. I’ll look around online. And see what I can find one for.

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The real problem is, like all records of that age, finding one in excellent condition. Essential for this album with it's quiet moments.

Thomas Hoffer likes this.
  13. jgrillo

jgrillo Forum Resident

I reckon it's the original US Cotillion, pressed at Monarch. Should be able to find one for $40-$50 if it means that much to you. Rarely see original US, UK, or German copies of this out in the wild...would likely have to be an online purchase, unless you live on the West Coast and can keep on the look out.

ralphb and Thomas Hoffer like this.
  14. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

This has to be, for me, one of the most frustrating vinyl searches of a lifetime. The early pressings are outrageously expensive and near-mint copies few and far between. I just acquired a Cotillion/ Rhino R1-9034 reissue. It looks great- like new, beautiful cover, labels, the glossing vinyl. And it starts out OK... until a little ways into the second cut and the fist few sibilant "Sssssssssweet Janes" attacks my ears. This is a great album full of great songs. It really deserves a first class reissue. C'mon, Rhino! Make it happen. PLEASE!

Cassius likes this.
  15. voxstarstream

voxstarstream Forum Resident

I still cherish my white label promo (although not mint). About 8 or 9 years ago I purchased a few "upgrades" for listening copies (including "Loaded" and "White Light/White Heat"); I scored near mint originals - in the shrink! - for under 40 bucks apiece. I haven't looked at the prices lately.

Cokelike-, Cassius and Brian Lux like this.
  16. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Cool!

Prices are up there these days. Time for a quality re-issue!

17. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

Sorry but could anybody tell me if the Rhino 2015 LP has the full length Sweet Jane? I need the edits. It breaks my heart whenever I hear that horrible bridge stuck in the middle of this perfect song. Just my opinion, off course. Thanks.

voxstarstream and Gonzo-a-gogo like this.
  18. Gonzo-a-gogo

Gonzo-a-gogo Tombstone hand, graveyard mind

I feel your pain man. When it segues, I'm always ****ing surprised and go cross-eyed. The song is 100 times better without it. Not sure about the 2015, but I own this one and... *exhales* it has the bridge.

19. donohed

donohed Hope Joy Victory !

Just ordered a n 81 UK Atlantic k40113 alsdorf. Everything appears identical to the German pressing. I don't know about the rhino !

20. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Am I the only person on earth who *loves the Sweet Jane bridge?

sharedon and Patanoia like this.
  21. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

No.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  22. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins

I own the 73 German Press and, though only in vg+ territory, highly prefer it to the rhino gold vinyl reissue. The 73 is very crankable and just a joy to listen to - and still not over the top pricey. I hope I don't make seller's aware of that particular pressing by praising it too much, but in my opinion this is the way to go if you want an affordable all analogue copy that sounds like originally intended by the artists.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  23. Gonzo-a-gogo

Gonzo-a-gogo Tombstone hand, graveyard mind

I got this here late 70s US pressing and it surely does beat the pants off of the Rhino; I sold that on a few months ago.

...(and that Sweet Jane bridge still sucks!)

attym likes this.
  24. Stebbin

Stebbin Well-Known Member

can anyone comment on the sound quality of the 1977 UK pressing with W-3KD in the deadwax? how does it sound compared to the OG UK or US? Looking for a more bargain copy of this record

25. Pandrew79

Pandrew79 Swimming.

Slightly off topic, but I read an older thread that said the original 1987 Warner Special Products CD sounds almost identical to the original Cotillion pressing. I picked up the cd today and it's amazing: lots of atmosphere, no added EQ, wide soundstage, analog sounding. You have to boost the volume a bit, but other than that, it's pretty faultless.

I have the 2 CD Fully Loaded edition and it never really clicked with me, it's mastered loudly and the low-fi qualities are over amplified.

If you can't find/afford an original press, this CD could be a much cheaper alternative until you find one.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    GreenFuz and Library Eye like this.