Best speaker you’ve ever *heard

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sonicsstoog, Mar 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

I've always loved what all the big Martin Logans can do over the years,but i have always had the nagging feeling that the "sound" of the driver material is audibly responsible for that magical quality.Almost pulled the trigger on m/l speakers a few times.....the big Harbys are truly complete and it's difficult to reconcile the sound and imaging comming from those big old fashioned boxes...gotta love'em:)...so yep Harbeth 40.1 probably the best I've heard.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  2. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

LOLZ. :biglaugh:

3. highendlover

highendlover Well-Known Member

JakeMcD likes this.
  4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

oh yeah, the MLs do awesome sound with the right music and in small doses. they don't color the sound, its like they crystalize it.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  5. kaikki on aivan jees

kaikki on aivan jees Forum Resident

from that preview:
    Bummer that “function” here is posited as the opposite of aesthetics. Aesthetics and function don’t have to be mutually exclusive — in good design they never are.

Or more precisely: these look tech-y, and the reviewer wants to give a potential buyer a justification for the look by suggesting it’s serious gear unencumbered by any frivolous concerns for looks.

Such a tired trope.

6. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

LOL

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  7. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

doctor fuse, jbmcb, Helom and 2 others like this.
  8. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

If you want to hear all the big names in a short timeframe, I think NYC and the LA area probably have the most dealers with stock on hand. Just talk to them early, make appointments with a game plan, and plan out your whole trip.

I think if you're spending several thousands on speakers (or any gear) that spending a few hundred on flights and a night or two in a hotel is a small expense to help prevent buyers remorse. And unlike shows, dealers *should* have their gear set up in more ideal listening spaces.
    I've always thought it would be fun to do an audio and golf trip to California. Take a week mixed with tee times and audio appointments. At the end of the week have some great memories and place some orders. I don't know if I'll ever have the cashflow to justify something like that, but it's become a dream of mine.

9. fish

fish Senior Member

Sound by Singer is The Best High End Audio and High End Video Dealer in New York City - Harbeth - Raidho - Spendor - Chord The Dave - Chord Hugo - Luxman Audio - PS Audio - Bryston Audio - Rogue Audio - Rega - Feickert

awesomeness!

10. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

I was going to say this one too, and some Devore O/96 for the same reason.

trickness likes this.
  11. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

I had the mispleasure of being a Sound By Singer customer in the mid-late 90’s. I wasn’t a big spender by any stretch of the word, I only bought some Krell mono blocks for $14K, chump change in that store. But I’m more than one occasion I had to sit through Andy Singer verbally abusing his employees right in front of me as I was trying to listen to music and decide what to purchase. These were good guys, hard-working sales people who basically couldn’t say anything back to him even though he was being a complete a-hole. I stopped shopping there after a particularly unpleasant afternoon. I know lots of the high end manufacturers kissed his backside because they were THE store in NYC. Seemed like he disappeared for a while and now he’s back, not sure whether he’s improved at all as a human being, but sound by singer is literally the last place I would ever want to spend any money based on my past experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.