Best used music stores in Cleveland?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Joseph, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member Thread Starter

I'll be in Cleveland this weekend and wonder if anyone has any recommendations on used cd/lp stores.

Thanks.

2. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Anything close to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? I'll be going there in a couple of months, and I was disappointed to learn that the Hall's record shop is an FYE!
    :rolleyes:

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

There used to be a great local used chain called Record Exchange. I think they may still around.

4. Dave D

Dave D Done!

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

there are 'record exchange" stores all over the city, east side west side and as far south as akron. the two bothers that owned them got into a big fight and now there are two sets of stores: 'the exchange' and 'cd-game-exchange'. they sell new and used cd's, vhs, dvd, games, and used audio/video equipment. they have 50ยข bins, $1.00 bins, $2.50 bins, $5.00 bins and regular priced stuff (new cd's around $13-$15, used cd's $8-$10). there are none near the rock hall, in fact there are no good used stores near downtown at all, you have to drive a little.

there are also a couple of cd warehouse stores, also spread out over town.

record revolution has gotten very bad the last couple of years.

my generation has closed.

chris's warped records is still around.

actually the best store in northeast ohio is not in cleveland, it is in cuyahoga falls (about 30 miles south near akron) it is called time traveller and they have everything: new cd's, used cd's, imports, dvd's. extremely well stocked. a little pricey, but you will be there a good couple of hours. if you have the time, well worth it.

hope this helps,

renny

6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

If you were in Cleveland this past weekend, you could have gone to the annual Goldmine Record Show at the Rock Hall - it is huge. Oh well....

For vinyl, the best shop in terms of selection and price is My Mind's Eye located in Lakewood, about 10 minutes from Downtown Cleveland. They also have some used CD's. I haven't been there for over a year but I think they are still around.

The Record Exchange has split in to two chains, The CD/Game Exchange and The Exchange. Both have vinyl and CD's but The Exchange has a bigger selection. There are plenty of both shops around the Cleveland area.

There is Record Revolution in Cleveland Heights - about 15 minutes from Downtown Cleveland. This was one of the original "head shops" back in the 60's (so I'm told). Mostly used vinyl but there are few bins of used CD's. I saw the DCC Elvis is Back on vinyl there about 2 months ago.

My favorite shop for new CD's is Time Traveller - located in Cuyahoga Falls about 30 miles south of Cleveland. They also have a few bins of used CD's, plus another store around the corner which sells used vinyl.

In Kent, also about 30 miles or so from Downtown Cleveland, there's a shop called Spin More Records - they probably have the biggest selection of used vinyl in the area. The also have used CD's.

The Rock Hall store is an FYE, as was pointed out earlier. However, they have a fantastic selection of CD's. That's where I discovered the Ace Girl Group comps plus they sell a lot of imported Motown CD's. Lots of Bear Family box sets, you name it... They also sell new vinyl.

FYE and Coconuts, both of which are national chains owned by the same parent, also carry lots of used CD's. There are plenty around the Cleveland area. I found my Doors DCC s/t and LA Woman CD's at Coconuts.

Happy shopping!

7. hamburgerpimp

hamburgerpimp New Member

Mike, how is the Time Traveller vinyl annex as far as selection and pricing are concerned?

RE: Spin More- great selection, but most of their lps are way overpriced, IMO.

8. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I haven't been there in quite a while but the selection was pretty good. You can find some real gems for cheap. The first time I shopped there, I found original vinyl versions of all of Sandy Denny's and Richard Thompson's albums really cheap - in great shape too. It's a good-sized shop. The jazz selections were fantastic when I was there last. They also had a large section of "goodwill" type albums for about a buck or so- it's like they went thrift store shopping and bought everything up. There are a few nice surprises if you flip through the racks.

They also have a great selection of new vinyl - you can probably get all of the Sundazed vinyl lp's from there.

My turntable is not too good these days so I've cut back on my vinyl shopping.

9. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Agree 100%

10. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

This is making me miss Cleveland. :cry:

11. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Me too!!! I always hit the Record Exchanges when I am in town. They usually have a great selection of used CDs. I was disappointed to hear My Generation closed down. I know my brother used to go there a lot.

12. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

There are fewer and fewer independent CD/Record shops around here. My Generation closed earlier this year. The Quonset Hut closed two stores in the last few months. Very sad....

13. Joseph

Thanks for all the great info. I'll let you all know what I pick up in Cleveland!

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

as i stated earlier, time traveler in cuyahoga falls might be the best store i have ever been in. scott, the owner is an extremely friendly gentleman, as are all of his help. they love to talk music. you can very easily spend 2 -3 hours in there. also, they have more than "a few" bins of used cd's (as perkom stated), they probably have a few thousound used cd's.

the vinyl annex (behind the main store about a half block away) is also very good. of course the y longer thay are there the more the selection is picked over. when they first opened they had some excellent stuff.

by the way, they also give a fair price when trading in cd's, not like some other shops. the exchange isn't too bad with trades, but cd warehouse is utterly ridiculous with they offer.

15. Frodis

Frodis New Member

16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

be sure to include a dinner or lunch in little italy on your agenda. and don't forget to visit the bakeries!

renny

17. Joseph

Just got back and there's nothing decent downtown. There's another FYE a few blocks from the Hall Of Fame (boring). Did run across a small hip-hop/rap shop downtown (not my thing).

18. Joseph

Cleveland CD shopping

I did pick up lots of great vinyl and SACD/CD's.

My Mind's Eye is a small jam-packed store with lots of reasonably priced vinyl.
    Record Revolution unfortunately was a disappointment. The store looked very tired and the stock looked "stale".

Stopped at Daystar Boutique which is a clothing/gifts/cd store. Small but interesting selection and great prices. Picked up two sealed Dylan SACDs for $7.00 each! Plus the Leon Russell/Asylum Choir DCC for $6.00.

I liked The Exchange chains. Well run, clean, lots of stock and reasonably priced. Picked up the Tommy 2-SACD set for $16.00 as well as lots of other stuff.

Best Buys were a disappointment as far as SACD goes. The BB's in Toronto have a much better selection and prices. I think the Bet Buy's vary greatly from city to city.

Went to Borders with the 20% off coupon (thanks for the tip GregY). Picked up the Alison Krauss Live SACD and a few others. Borders had no Sony or Audio Fidelity SACD's but I did spot a couple of S&P's. Also went to the Borders outlet store. Lots of great cd's at amazing prices. Some opened or cracked cases but everything was mint. Picked up a Diane Krall Sacd and a Yo-Yo Ma SACD for $5.60 each as well as Joe Jackson Night & Day Deluxe Edition, Jayhawks Rainy Day Music (2 cd) also for $5.60.

Overall I'd give Cleveland an 8 out of 10 for used cd shopping. (Except for downtown).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.