Best Value for Roon Network Pre-Amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gerry Todd, Apr 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerry Todd

Gerry Todd Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've seen a lot of Roon fans on here, and I'm hoping one of you can help...

I decided to get the Yamaha WXC-50 ($270 on Accessories 4 Less) to listen to albums I only have as FLAC files (like the David Bowie RCA CD releases). It sounds incredibly good for the price. I'm using MinimServer, and the Server section of the MusicCast app (the only part of it I like) works really well. The DAC sounds ALMOST as good as my beloved Pioneer DV-79AVi---the closest anything has come to it in my rig. I'm feeding the Yamaha into the killer vintage Pioneer VSX-D1S.

This is the first time I've experienced DLNA playback, and I'm enjoying it more than I thought. It's to the point where I started looking for even better options...and that's when I discovered Roon. While I've never been a streaming fan, I signed up for a Tidal HiFi subscription---just to try it out---and I'm blown away by some of the Tidal Masters releases. I didn't think it was possible to achieve sound this good on a streaming service. Yes, there are still older CD masters that I much prefer, and that's why I find Roon to be an intriguing option.

I love how Tidal and my own collection can be integrated into Roon. It even compares dynamic range between different album versions you own vs Tidal. That's brilliant! So, I think I want to dive in with a compatible player.

Can anyone recommend a Roon-compatible network pre-amp player with a good DAC for $500 or less? Bluesound is looking like the best option. Perhaps something with an optical out, so I can one day send it to an even better DAC. I'll be using its analog out to feed my VSX-D1S.

2. Xulio

Xulio Forum Resident

Allo DigiOne Player + Pro-ject Pre Box S2. You can buy both used in the Roon forum. Killer combo... or Bluesound but it’s less fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.