Best version lp of "Are You Experienced "

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by henry babenko, Jun 27, 2017.

1. kman331

kman331 New Member

I just received the 2010 Rhino remaster, which says ‘stereo’ at the top of the front cover. I was never a big Hendrix fan, and didn’t own any of his material until now. That being said, I just listened to a few songs on side 2, and the vocals are heavily, if not completely weighted to the left channel. I noticed that vocals do go to the right channel toward the end of Foxey Lady. Switching my preamp to Mono brought the vocals to the center, but since I don’t know how the record ‘is supposed to’ sound, can anyone tell me if this is normal for this version?

2. kman331

kman331 New Member

Okay...I just flipped the record to Side 1, and think I just answered my own question! LoL

3. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Yeah, Hendrix liked his gimmicks.

kman331 likes this.
  4. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

Do any of you folks know which cuts these are on Amazon.ca right now? Are they the same mastering as the 2010/2014 AAA?
    Thanks so much for any info.

Amazon.ca: hendrix vinyl

5. Leonthepro

Hard to know, they would be the later 2015 pressings I guess, but if its the AAA US or digital EU pressings is impossible to say.

6. Rockin' Robby

Thanks so much buddy. No easy way to distinguish?

7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Technically correct but completely unhelpful - based on your 'advice' the guy would have to buy all versions of the LP. What's wrong with sharing our experience? o_O

8. Leonthepro

Not over Amazon anyway. Sorry to say.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  9. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident

The best pressing is my original Track one, which is in pretty good condition apart from that it jumps - just once - during the solo on "Red House". It's the definitive version of "Red House" for me. The song just doesn't sound right without that jump.

10. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Good look with this one......trying to use common sense and reasoning is futile. He's been trolling threads like these for years, and beating the same dead horse over and over.

11. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I have the 2014 and it rocks very hard.

Played loud through a tube amp it is absolutely blistering.

Dr. Funk likes this.
  12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

nothing wrong at all about sharing.

what's wrong with what i said?

bluemooze likes this.
  13. Rockin' Robby

I can ask an Amazon question for those who have purchased! What is the easiest way to identify the well regarded AAAs?

14. Leonthepro

Probably to look on the back of it has sony Music or Legacy. Dont remember which is which. But to be sure you have to open it up. And Im not sure they can check for you.

15. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Today i picked up a used copy of AYE at my record store. It is an Italian pressing, the label is Polydor, with a sub-name of "Successo". It is the original UK cover and tracklisting. On the top right corner on the back the number 2384-034 is in bold black type that is covering a very faint "stereo" and an unlegible other number.
    On the polydor label on the actual record it says "stereo." I just listened to it and i swear its mono. There was no panned effects, and i heard a few different vocal things, as well as some different effects in TSFTS. "Red House" was the version with all the "yeah's, and the studio chatter at the end. There may be a tiny separation of guitars, maybe vocals...i can't tell for sure. I've never heard the mono mix, all i have to compare it to is the 1997 CD, which is definitely stereo. Anybody know what the deal is with this? :shrug:

16. Chry

Chry Well-Known Member

For me, or 1st US stereo or 1st UK mono.
    I think that it’s necessary to have both of them in collection.

17. haomingy

haomingy Forum Resident

I am quite confused when reading this thread, I have a 2014 stereo without off-center or other issues but sound solid. Why so many people prefer the 2010 to 2014 (although I missed these argument)? I read the whole treads and the long debate between 180 and 200 gm.

Here is a quote from MMJ:
    "We use 180 gram pressings. Why not 200 gram?
    We use 180 gram pressings for the simple reason that we believe 180 gram weight is more than sufficient to provide a near perfect pressing. Forcing presses that were designed for 150 gram and 180 gram weight to press 200 gram vinyl results in a multitude of additional problems including warpage. A check of audiophile vinyl chat rooms reveals many dissatisfied buyers of 200 gram vinyl. When Music Matters asked our friends at Record Technology Inc. for their recommendation to achieve the highest possible quality pressings their answer was unequivocal......
    go with 180 gram!"

What I believe is either 180 or 200 would not result in the difference in sound itself, but only 200 gm are hard to reach the same pressing quality. Classic Records is a good example for pressing lot of noisy 200 gms at RTI due to the QC. On the contrary, QRP are better in producing 200 grams.

Also even stop producing 200 grams in RTI, in my experience RTI don't have high quality as before, maybe same to other plant. Exept for the possibility of pressing defects, is there anything superior in the 2010 version? The comments in discogs was funny that many said there 200 grams was not wieghted enough.

Another question is that for AYX and maybe other Hendrix like Axis or Electric Land, the stereo reissues is more preferable, than the mono reissues mastered by BG? Thanks.

18. haomingy

haomingy Forum Resident

I found the mono for Axis are highly recommended and mono for AYE got some critics maybe due to the recordings.

19. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All

+1 for the French Barclay pressing. My go-to version. Best-sounding version of the UK album. Get this and the first three singles and you’re done.

ODShowtime and Tuck1977 like this.
  20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

You're making way too much out of the weight. Besides the LP weighing more/less, there's no change in SQ whatsoever so it's a moot point and is only a marketing gimmick.

21. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Quick question ... as I may have just shot myself in the foot.
    Just bought the Sony Legacy EU pressing of AYE (2014), assuming it was identical to the US 2014 I was considering (but was put off by the seller's feedback).
    Is the EU really that bad in comparison?
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced

22. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

The runouts are the same as the US version, so it's most likely the exact same AAA pressing.

raye_penber likes this.
  23. fldveloce

fldveloce the moon was a drip on a dark hood

Different weights mean different record thickness, so unless one adjusts VTA for different record heights there will be some change in the sound. Also, vibrations (e.g., caused by the stylus in the groove) are damped differently by different mass, again causing possible audible differences (though record clamps can affect this). I'm not saying everyone will hear it, or it's equally apparent on all systems, but these are real issues for some listeners.

24. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Ah, so you're on of those who adjusts their VTA for each record? o_O

25. fldveloce

fldveloce the moon was a drip on a dark hood

nope, but I know ocd people who do...