Best version lp of "Are You Experienced "

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by henry babenko, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

When you demonstrate the difference Ill believe it.

2. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Malarkey

3. Mathieu

Mathieu Well-Known Member

Could we create a poll about "the best sounding stereo AYE's LP" ? there are at least 10 threads on this subject, I'm completely lost. (the most difficult is to CHOOSE the pressings mentioned in the poll... I know)

Leonthepro and raye_penber like this.
  4. Mathieu

...and maybe include other pressings than the usual UK or US ones, which are probably very good, but maybe spanish, italian, polish, south korean, or irish pressings (these are just some examples) are very good too... and maybe a lot cheaper than the holy grail on which it seems to be a consensus. In fact, I think this forum is very focused on several countries (US or UK, in short - and there are a lot of technical reasons for it, I know).

5. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

This one is the best for the original mono version (entirely different compared to the stereo version).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  6. Mathieu

Yes I've got this pressing (being french it's a honor that an hendrix french pressing wins the contest !)

7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Other than out of curiosity...why? Most voters won’t have most of the versions, so a poll is of limited value. Honestly you’re better off taking the time to find members with whom you tend to agree - and do a search on their user names and “AYE vinyl Stereo”.

8. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

I find this cut too loud and that is way too apparent on some tracks. The quieter tracks do work well though.

Fire [mono] can be found with improved mastering from the master tape on the Backtrack Two pressing. Remember too can be found from the master mono tape on both the backtrack and I think the Allsorts series from Track Records.

Certainly the U.K. Track mono is to a degree compromised but then again the whole recording was and that is evident on both of the stereo and mono pressings regardless.

Three or four recording studios, reduction on all of the tracks from the original album, most notable on all tracks with the drums. Kramer recorded them in stereo at Olympic and bounced them down. Then likely as can be heard bounced down again in the process of making more room for guitar OD's and vocal!

A copy tape utilised for Track and Reprise mono and a copy of that copy for Barclays 1st pressing!

Choose your poison for the mono, whatever your own ears are happy with. Mine is the Track for all of its faults.

Stereo, right now the re-issue / repressing from QRP hits all the right notes [pun intended].

None of the above comment is from a needledrop or references any needledrop of any of the pressings.

As for the OP, I find my second pressing, Reprise stereo a little improved on my first pressing and they can be found cheaper if that's what you want.

kees1954 likes this.
  9. falc0nwhit

falc0nwhit Forum Resident

10. Gordon Johnson

If you are looking for the version without the tape errors then it is the IOW cover. The Panache is the 1st pressing.

How much are these running at right now for a very good / excellent sounding / playing copy?

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. SCM

SCM Senior Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Played this 1986 Winchester last night after a 30 minute US cleaning @35-45C and was very surprised how good it sounded. Nice wide left to right effects and very quiet vinyl. Have a look at this one when you get a chance.

mpayan and Echoes Myron like this.
  12. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

I have a Reprise 2-tone and the UK Polydor 2-fer, that's good enough for me.

13. Leonthepro

Can anyone tell me about the AYE Sterling cuts from 2010 to modern day, do the 2010 early copies have thick cardboard sleeve or thin paper ones?

14. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Thick, track down the 2010.

Leonthepro likes this.
  15. Leonthepro

16. Gordon Johnson

The 2014 reissue is possibly a better pressing than the 2010. It is for me anyway, the difference being the former is RTI and the latter QRP.

I have the numbered Newbury pressing and it clearly is superior to the 2010 I have, which is numbered also. But if the card stock means that much or the fact that the 2010 is a gate fold over QRPs single sleeve also means that much to the point of being a deal breaker over a likely superior pressing, then go for it.

17. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Oh great, as I sit eating my crumpets I find out that I'll be needing a QRP pressing. :D

18. Gordon Johnson

For sure! This has been discussed over the years, even here. Some report the standard black 2014 is superior to the Newbury purple, something I doubt but have yet to bother finding out.

Have fun looking and enjoy your crumpets.

19. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I go in and out of Hendrix addiction so I forgot. It just happened that yesterday I unboxed a load of LPs still safely stored from my move in November, found a load of Jimi I forgot about.

Is this the one I need Gordon

The Jimi Hendrix Experience – Are You Experienced (2014, 200 Gram, Vinyl)

thanks

20. Leonthepro

I dont believe pressing plants make a difference beyond noise floor so yes a better sleeve matters much more to me.

21. SongAndDanceMan

SongAndDanceMan Forum Resident

I used to own the 2014 version and sold it when I stumbled upon a 2010. They sounded the same to me but the 2014 has the worst sleeve I've ever had on a record. Not only is it flimsy but the record slot is so wide that it makes it feel even flimsier. The 2010 is a Stoughton gatefold that is matte, not glossy. Also comes with a booklet. Mine is not numbered

Leonthepro and bibijeebies like this.
  22. Gordon Johnson

Believe what you wish, I believe my ears.

I contacted Newbury regard this pressing, that is how much of a difference I heard between the two pressings. They in turn passed my questions to Sony. That proved that the company is a confused one but that's another story.

Over the intervening years and because of this pressing difference I did ask many , many questions of record pressing plants. The difference between any pressing plant can be huge. Even when using the same plates.

I have been told, though I never was really able to tell myself, pressings from the same plant but on different presses can sound different.

In this instance the difference is notable but not huge. When you get the thicker card stock copy you can do a shoot out for yourself. Just remember to park up any preconceived bias before you sit with them.

23. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

I love that 2010 edition, RTI pressed, matte sleeve by Stoughton, nice insert, yet people over here go on and on about the QRP vinyl, it is supposedly much better etc.. And then you see in other threads people complaining about never receiving a flat record from QRP. Sigh....

24. Gordon Johnson

Yep, that looks like the one.

Please give us you're thoughts when you have a chance to listen.

25. Gordon Johnson

Cant argue with the sleeve comment in anyway but I honestly buy records for the record first and foremost.

In this instance, QRP certainly cheaper out sleeve wise.

Maybe they go on about it as it is an improved pressing.

That QRP put out records that are not totally flat is correct, as do RTI and many other plants, of which they are not all in the USA.

To keep it local to this album, is your QRP 2014 AYE flat or not? Or do you not have a direct copy for comparison?