Best version of Beatles "Let It Be?"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Embracetheday, Nov 1, 2015.

1. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I picked up a minty 3/3 UK just recently, sounds fantastic to me. Nothing else to compare it to, though. Seller had a private collection so I was lucky enough to snag some go-to copies all at once for 20 pounds apiece, including a 4/3 Abbey Road and 1st press Apple RAM.

john lennonist likes this.
  2. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Glad to be of help.

YardByrd likes this.
  3. ODIrony

ODIrony Forum Resident

That's both horridly painful and funny AF! :laughup:

sathvyre and Glenn Christense like this.
  4. Lesterb

Lesterb Well-Known Member

Thought to resurrect this thread; what were your findings with the HTM cut? Have you any more information on if your 3U/ 3U pressing is suffering from groove distortion?

Thanks

5. Steves Cousin

Steves Cousin Well-Known Member

Yes! Polygram Auctions on YT went thru and made his own version of the 2012 (?) stereo boxset. He chose the Dutch pressing for Let it Be. Interesting!
    Was able to track down a rip of it to test. i love the internet

Blue Cactus likes this.
  6. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Just bought one. Will know what it’s like in a week.

Blue Cactus likes this.
  7. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I took a screen grab of the one in his video. It appears it’s not the one in the link above (which it wasn’t claimed to be) which I ordered this morning. Looks more like a Dutch export for Germany. Nevertheless, I suspect it’s the same matrix/stamper.

8. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

Picked up a nm UK LIB with -3/-3 stamps for 24 bucks a couple years back and playing it today for the first time on my linear tracker, it sounds clean and fantastic.

monomusic likes this.
  9. TimWare

TimWare Well-worn Member

59s/11d

muffmasterh and John Hatter like this.
  10. John Hatter

John Hatter Senior Member

Yes it was a contentious price. At £3 compared with £2 for normal single LP, it seemed a lot, particularly as we already had Let it Be and Get Back as singles. I got mine with a 10 bob discount so I paid £2/10shillings. My friends and family still thought I was mad to pay that sort of money :). First time I ever recall The Beatles and rip off being used together.

Still have it, have never opened the book fully, it was obvious it would fall apart if opened flat out.

john lennonist likes this.
  11. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member

I just received a copy which I assume is Dutch.
    Catalog 1A 064-04433 Y on Apple.

Made in the EEC.
    Stampers are
    062-04433-Y-A//13533-3-Y
    062-04433-B-13534-4Y

I think it sounds fantastic.
    But have not heard any other vinyl copy as I have not owned it on vinyl in about 40 years.

Has anyone heard this copy and how does it compare to the other recommended versions?

12. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

I have it and yes it compares favorably with the best UK pressings.

13. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Funny, when I saw the title of the thread I immediately thought: single, followed by the version on "Kum Back".
    Good thing I read things a little closer LOL.

14. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

if i recall 59/11 was a fairly standard price for a double LP at the time. such as the White Album or Blonde on Blonde.

You would think for that price they could have designed the trays better lol !!

TimWare likes this.
  15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I have multiple UK pressings of LIB including the white vinyl version. I happen to prefer the 1987 CD. Nice sound and no surface noise.

sathvyre likes this.
  16. ILoveLucille

ILoveLucille The infernal desire machines of Dr Steve Hoffman

Were the 2U/2U stampers ever used on a regular pressing outside the box, either in the UK or elsewhere?

17. drs. Daja

drs. Daja Well-Known Member

Best version of this album. By far.

Chemguy and ragepil like this.
  18. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

I’ve only got the 2012 Eu pressing which I think sounds great but I have nothing else to compare it to. I’m one of those strange creatures who’s favourite Beatles album is Let it be! Would it be worth chasing an early UK or the 78 white pressing? Are they that much better than a 2012 EU?

DK Pete likes this.
  19. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes, they are much, much better.

20. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Even an 80s UK pressing would be an improvement. Those are quite excellent as well.

theMot, Solace and Cronverc like this.
  21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The 2012’s get a bum rap because they’re digital. I think most of them sound great, LIB included. I have a number of different pressings and in all honesty, it’s up there with the better sounding ones. Unless you’re a multi-copy guy or someone one who has to have analog,, you’re fine with the 2012.

fmfxray373 and theMot like this.
  22. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I just found an Indiana pressed Electrosound Group Midwest pressing of LIB that has EMW etched in the deadwax. Listening with a Shure M55e cartridge George's guitar just floats to the top of the mix on songs like I Me Mine, I've Got A Feeling and Get Back. Ringo really shines on the whole LP. This is a large purple dome probably from 1978. I was just shocked when I heard this pressing. Jay Lemay cut the first side lacquer and Maurice Long cut side 2. Dead wax info is Side 1 : SW-1-11922 -F9 JLM(?) and Side 2: SW-2-11922 J12 ML. Both sides have EMW etched in the dead wax along with a small x within a circle.

I can't find it on Discogs. Anyone else have this one? A really great pressing.

23. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

So reading this thread it seems that the 1st US press is not very well regarded. At Thanksgiving my dad casually mentioned to me that he still had all his records stored in the house (as if he didn't know it was something I'd be interested in). I went through a giant stack of about 100 records and found a 1st US press of LIB. It was filthy, but I put it through my RCM, then ultrasonic x2. Visually it's VG but it's playing mostly VG+ to VG++. I think it sounds pretty good! I'd say the worst sounding part of it for me was the guitar solo on LIB (which is tragic). I believe you all that the UK is better, but it's at least cool to listen to this record as my dad knew it when it came out.

I also have this version: The Beatles - Let It Be . It seems you guys like this one? I'll have to do a comparison.

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  24. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

By very far! :cheers:

Also, the Giles remix is really terrific to these ears, too.

25. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

:yikes: