Best version of Pink Floyd - The Wall on CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by YoinkyYoinkers, May 29, 2022.

1. YoinkyYoinkers

YoinkyYoinkers Active Member Thread Starter

Hi, new to the forums here and looking to buy The Wall by Pink Floyd on CD. I've had a read through some topics and have come across the following version for sale and wanted to check here before I buy if it is a decent quality version.

It looks to be the Harvest version, Made in Holland.
    CD 1 is CDP 7 46036 2 (with "One of My Turns" mislabelled as "One of My Tunes")
    CD 2 is CDP 7 46037 2

I have attached an image.

Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. Adfly7

Adfly7 Nebula 2 Closed Galaxy Bend

Expect this thread to be merged into one of the 100 already existing.

3. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

I don't personally own it (being happy enough with my original vinyl and the Shine On box set discs), but I think this JPN "black face" is generally considered to be the best CD version of The Wall:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

You should be fine with this one. Some people obsess about the click at the start of Comfortably Numb on almost all early CDs, but most people don't even hear it. So, if the price is right for you, go ahead.

Jam757, rcsrich and c-eling like this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Think that 'click' is only on the old pre-emphasis Japan mastering (50DP), which carried over to the early US manufactures.
    That one he posted is a later UK EMI mastering. No clue on how it sounds.

Jam757 and Jamsterdammer like this.
  6. MassHysteria

MassHysteria Music Lover

Oh man! Now I’ll never be able to stop hearing that! Never noticed before.

WDeranged, ARK, bluesaddict and 2 others like this.
  7. Jamsterdammer

Well, that's good to know, then the OP shouldn't have to worry about it.

c-eling likes this.
  8. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

CaptainFeedback1 and c-eling like this.
  9. c-eling

Love this mastering, There are a couple other 'glitches' but I won't point them out :laugh:
    Not a fan of the later remasters, including the hi-rez from which they are based.

10. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

I do. And I think it is. I also have the original Columbia, the Sax, and the 2011. I do like the LP's better though that I have (original US w/TML-M, Canada pressing, Japan pressing).

skisdlimit and c-eling like this.
  11. Capt Fongsby

Capt Fongsby Music is the best. ... And cats.

Regarding the old Harvest CDs:
    The mastering on European made Silverfaces is basically the same as on Japan made Blackfaces, just with the levels raised a bit. (They cancel out in a null-test.)
    They sound great, and better than their Columbia counterparts, IMO.

12. Jamsterdammer

We haven't heard back from the OP. Hey, @YoinkyYoinkers, any of this info useful? What did you decide in the end?

fortherecord likes this.
  13. YoinkyYoinkers

YoinkyYoinkers Active Member Thread Starter

Hi again, thanks for all the input everyone I decided to go for (the one in my original post) it as it was only ~$15 anyway and it wasn't really any cheaper anywhere else.

ARK and Jamsterdammer like this.
  14. DIYmusic

DIYmusic Forum Resident

I just got the Columbia set, and what exactly is better about the Harvest discs?

15. Capt Fongsby

Capt Fongsby Music is the best. ... And cats.

Well, to my ears the Harvest is more "natural" sounding, while the Columbia seemed a bit smiley faced in comparison.
    That doesn't mean the Columbia sounds bad, and I'm sure there's many members here who would disagree with me and say the Columbia is punchier, and the Harvest sounds veiled in comparison.

The clicking noise at the start of Comfortably Numb on the Columbia is, of course, also a bit of a nuisance, but probably not a deal breaker. (?)

kevin5brown likes this.
  16. DIYmusic

DIYmusic Forum Resident

Oddly I find the Columbia to sound a bit muffled or less clean than some versions. But can not remember which sounded clearer.

17. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

I loved my original pressing from back in the day same for WYWH but my CDs of choice are the Harvest CDP 7 46036 8 German pressing of The Wall. I'm sure same are Japanese pressing. For WYWH is the two track CK 33453 CBS pressing almost better than vinyl.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
    kevin5brown likes this.
  18. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

That Holland pressing and the 1994 UK remaster by Doug Sax are my favorites.

danielbravo likes this.
  19. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

HD Download burned on to a CD.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  20. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

I've compared the Harvest "blackface" CD, the Columbia CD, the 2011 remaster, the hi res download, the 50DP JPN and the MFSL Ultradisc 1 and I prefer the MFSL Ultradisc 1. The drums sound more natural to me and there is no boost on the high end. Steve is pretty sure the Ultradisc 1s were flat transfers from the masters, which I imagine is perhaps the only time that has been done for this title: Is there any definitive list of MFSLs with smiley eq

rjp, bluesaddict and c-eling like this.
  21. c-eling

I didn't notice any treble boost on the old pre-emphasis mastering. Unless of course it's not getting properly EQ'd.
    Nice natural sounding presentation which pretty much mimics my old Mastering Lab cut.

kiddo4 likes this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm happy with the Shine On box version...it works for me.

skisdlimit and bluesaddict like this.
  23. DIYmusic

DIYmusic Forum Resident

I have found just about every version to sound different in some way, but none to sound bad in any way.

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

seems to be the case...I originally had a Japanese 2 LP pressing from the 80's...then I got the Shine On box and that suited me just fine and still does...

25. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Lot of them to choose from.

I prefer the black face but the mix is pretty quiet. Have to turn the volume up to get the most out of it.