Best vintage Marantz receiver?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audiorocks, Mar 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiorocks

audiorocks Forum Resident Thread Starter

I really like the looks of the 2275. Which are the best sounding ones?

2. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

The best and almost universally agreed upon by many is 2330 and for a more tube like sound the 2270. Both will cost $1K hopefully refurbished from ebay. I owned a few.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    HiFi Guy, papatwo and Dennis0675 like this.
  3. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

The only Marantz I've ever heard is my 2238B, but for me it was an instant favorite. In daily use here. :)

4. audiorocks

Was a black face an option on the 2270 or is that a modification?

5. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Not to my memory at least in 1973.
    When I bought my first stereo system, I did a home audition between a Marantz 2270 receiver & a Mac MA-6100 integrated.
    The Mac won for SQ, but the Marantz with the blue lights and the smooth as silk fly wheel tuner exuded cool.

2trackmind likes this.
  6. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I had a Model 4270 Quad and it was a beast. It sounded great, had loads of power, crisp and clear. It finally fried out - one of the channels developed excessive static and another completely went silent. It was, no doubt, the finest receiver I've ever owned.

7. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Mine is still in daily use too. Bought it new in the 70’s when I was a teenager. (Or I should say my grandfather bought it for me.).

8. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Top 3 are 2330, 2325 and 2285. Lots of info on AUDIO KARMA... you might want to check out for Vintage gear of all brands. You'll get better and more informed info there. Plenty of guys on that page that restore them too.

9. Magic

Magic I'm just this guy, ya know?

My first receiver was a Marantz 2230. Thought it sounded perfect. Never owned another one so I don't have anything to compare it with.

10. audiorocks

Kind of mixed opinions on the 2270.

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Model 18, the best Marantz receiver ever made, or the Model 19, The last vestiges of Saul B. Marantz's and Sidney Smith's designs and engineering. Built in the good old USA to boot. Both were the last Marantz direct competitors to McIntosh.

Fiddlefye and 62caddy like this.
  12. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

Interested in this great topic.

13. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

I have owned the following:

Model 16 Power amp
    3300 Pre-amp

I currently own:
    2265b
    1060 Integrated Amp
    sr-4320

The 2270, mfg in 1971, had a more 'warm-1970's' sound, and was significantly different than the 2265b, mfg in 1978. The 2265b is somewhat more bright in a great way. I love both. The 2275 was similar to the 2265b. The 2240 and 2245 were almost identical to the 2270. I prefer the look of the 2265b series. The blue numerals are striking when seen lit up.

The 1060 Integrated is an absolute workhorse. The phono section is awesome, and the amp has served me well since 1972 without issue. It drives my speakers best at about the 10 O'Clock position, tone controls flat. That amp delivers its best starting there.

However, that combination of Model 16 Power amp & Model 3300 Pre-amp was several cuts above, sonically. Both mfg in about 1971. The depth and 'permanence' of sound cannot be described. I acquired them before the pricing insanity set in on vintage gear.

These are my actual units:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Billion$Baby

I have a completely restored Model 19 and I think its HIGHLY Overrated. It cant even compare to the other models I listed earlier in the thread performance wise. Sounds nothing like any of those. Guaranteed to never be plugged in again under my ownership anyway. Just my 2 cents

HiFi Guy likes this.
  15. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I love my 2235B.

Beatleboy1968 and Ghostworld like this.
  16. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

I've owned 2 2270's, I don't know what was done to them before I bought them, they sounded fantastic, I had to use just the pre section into another amp, because the amp couldn't handle the wicked load the Martin Logan's craved. On some days with some nice old JBL's the amp got a good work out! Great fun.

I love what Saul designed into his babies, a nice tube-like sound, the over stated 3 martini sound is a fallacy, it's a unique sound, either you like it or you don't, I LIKEY!! Remember, some gear/speakers/cables need some help in the eq area of the presentation, my speakers don't suffer no fools, colored? Maybe, do I like what I hear? Yep!!

I miss my old 2270's, and kudo's to the 2265/2230 that have the best phono sections I've heard in an old receiver...

Gramps Tom likes this.
  17. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I haven't owned a 2270 but I sold them and recommended my best friend growing up buy one (he did). Their sound is quite smooth. Especially in the 1970s, when there were some truly awful transistorized amps out there, they sounded terrific. If he wants a Marantz, I fully endorse the idea of the OP finding one that works well and buying it.

To answer another question in this thread, I never saw a black faced 2270 in the old days. I personally think the silver faceplate accented by blue lights looks timeless.

mongo and Gramps Tom like this.
  18. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

Heh - speaking of Marantz. I used to own - when I was only 20 *kaff* - a Marantz 240 power amplifier. At the time I was getting into tube gear and the Marantz, unless it was left on 24/7, sounded very, very harsh in comparison. It would take a few hours to "warm up" otherwise the sound, as I remember it, would drive me out of the room. It was a classy looking amp though, especially with the blow star a-glowin'.

Pic taken from le internet:

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  19. audiorocks

So Marantz and McIntosh were the big rivalry in those days? Marantz eventually sold out and McIntosh continues?

I have got to find an excuse to put together a vintage system.

20. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Marantz was sold to Superscope even before most of the models mentioned in this thread. Selling isn’t always the end. Even McIntosh has been sold. But Marantz was eventually a brand that didn’t have any resemblance to its former self.

McLover and Gramps Tom like this.
  21. Gramps Tom

There were several Marantz units mfg in countries other than USA that had black faceplates.

[​IMG]

22. Gramps Tom

Very wise and accurate post, Bob. I will also add the MARANTZ has also emerged building quality gear once again. I acquired a nr-mnt SR-4320 receiver last summer for about $125, and am enjoying it immensely. It was mfg in 2005.

IIRC, their parent company is currently Sound United, LLC, under whose umbrella also resides Denon & Boston Acoustics, committed to developing higher-end equipment.

23. Gramps Tom

THX for joging my memory. I never perceived the MARANTZ brand was rivaled by McIntosh. It seemed in my experience it was MARANTZ as the standard-setter vs. Harmon-Kardon, Pioneer, Sansui, Sony, Fisher, Kenwood, Technics, etc. for receivers, integrated amps, tuners, and separate amps-pre amps. Companies like McIntosh, Phase Linear were steps above the receiver or integrated amp market, where MARANTZ and some others did mfg offerings.

The big thing with the MARANTZ sound was that there seemed to be a slight eq 'curve', especially noticed in their phono sections that is appealing. The other named brands were a little more straight-line oriented.

But, man-o-man, that MARANTZ sound is unmistakable while it feeds the soul. Most of us like it, but a few don't. There's a brand loyalty factor for some, also. Like, do you prefer Ford, Chevy, Dodge, or Nissan trucks? They all do their jobs well.

One receiver company I neglected by accident above is ONKYO. I also own a TX-2500 MK II, 40 watts/channel, that I bought new in 1978 for about $375. It is a true beauty, sporting a real glass dial front. The MK II series is unique, and is higher quality mfg efforts than their other offerings of the period. ONKYO built in some balls into the performance that their prior line lacked. That MK II series is a relative bargain for a vintage system heart vs. some of the other brands discussed. There are other ONKYO receivers in that line and vintage worthwhile searching for and targeting. Again, it is truly gorgeous.

[​IMG] A stock photo-not my exact unit.

stuwee and bluemooze like this.
  24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Cheaper for a reason. Not junk. Too spec sheet for
    Did you have it refurbished correctly? Did you use speakers suited to it's needs. After all, it needs speakers suited to low damping factor amplification. Not knocking 1970's Marantz at it's best, they made some nice ones. I like the best of them.

25. Billion$Baby

No I had it restored incorrectly so my other 50-60 Receivers would sound better. I only use JBL 166/4312A on vintage gear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.