Best way to mount picture records/LP's, in a frame?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bolero, Nov 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member Thread Starter

I have a couple picture discs that sound like crap, but look great

( -->why can't they make picture discs that sound as good as regular vinyl, yet? )

I want to mount them in frames & hang them on the wall, so at least I can look at them.

I am thinking some screws with washers, and maybe some felt spacers to protect the record?

has anyone else done this with success? I did a search on the forum but not much luck

thanks!

2. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member Thread Starter

bump...

3. Trace

Trace Senior Member

4. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Back in the day, a small record store used to have one or two picture disc clocks on the wall. No idea if they came that way or the owner made them. You could get a clock kit and have at it.

5. Mark From Eire

Mark From Eire Forum Resident

I got these from Ikea years ago here in Sweden and added black cardboard to the back round

[​IMG]

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  6. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

7. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

Why not buy a glass or Perspex fronted timber picture frame larger than your record and preferably square-shaped..
    Buy a large sheet of coloured cardboard.

Put the record (or a spare record the same size) over the cardboard and with a VERY SHARP Stanley knife, cut the cardboard around the outside of the record.
    REMEMBER - The knife has to be very sharp. A hobby knife or similar... a sharp kitchen knife won't give a clean cut. Probably good to practice first on a piece of scrap.

A bit of fine sandpaper will clean up any small rough bits around the edge of the cardboard after you've popped out the circular cut-out... a texta marker the same colour as the cardboard (applied) will also conceal any small imperfections.

Place the record in the round cut out space then add the glass/Perspex cover and then frame.

If the frame is rectangular you can have it displayed in the 'landscape' position with the record on one side and some scanned info/graphics on paper glued to the other side.

I actually made one up years ago and sold it on Ebay.
    It was a rather long black aluminium rectangular shaped frame in the 'landscape' position with 3 x vinyl 45's side by side fitted into red cardboard...
    I had the APPLE "Hey Jude" , the PARLOPHONE "Hey Jude" and a "Hey Jude" 45rpm vinyl picture disc. I was going to glue in the 1968 Top 40 Chart that had "Hey Jude" 2nd week in at No.1 but decided against it. It wouldn't have looked balanced.
    I got AUD$250 for that!

Once you press the glass against the records they sit nice and flush with the cardboard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.