Best ' Whack ' on The Sopranos.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jun 2, 2021.

1. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Presuming he was, who did order the hit on Tony? Phil L is dead at this point.

2. GregM

GregM The expanding man

If Paulie new how to do anything, it was how to arrange a hit. But as for co-conspirators, take your pick. Everyone from Patsy to Eugene's widow to Carlo and some of the New York guys would have wanted revenge on Tony and his family.

3. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Patsy, whose son is dating Meadow Soprano? Carlo, who's testifying for the FBI? Ridiculous.

4. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Butchie may have been craftier than his behavior revealed. He hates Tony, but uses him to take out Phil, whom he has lost faith. Then he can take out Tony and assumes the throne.

Building on what GregM said, any made guy has a long list of potential assassins.

5. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Never say never. Patsy's twin brother was whacked by Tony, and Patsy knew this. Remember the FBI guys witnessing Patsy pissing in Tony's pool and brandishing a gun in Tony's back yard? You think those feelings about twins that run so deep just go away? Ever? Carlo was in Tony's crew and watched a steady parade of other captains mysteriously disappear, including Sal, Richie, Ralphie, Gigi, Tony B, Vito and Christopher. Granted, not all of these were unwarranted or even Tony's doing. The one time Carlo wanted to clip another captain after Vito had been outed, Tony wouldn't let him.

The point is: we don't know what happened with Carlo. He could have been spooked by Tony. There were murmurings that his son was in trouble or that he had flipped, but no one had confirmed that. Often, when someone flips, we actually see them with an FBI operative spilling their guts. We never see this with Carlo. He simply vanishes. He could have been on the sidelines planning his next move after becoming convinced he was the next captain that Tony wanted to kill.

But the real story of a traitor in Tony's inner circle is Paulie. Think about what happens to him in season 6. He basically renounces the church. He tells Tony, "I'm not who I am" after the whole identity crisis with his mom not being his mom and his aunt being his mom. He gets some type of cancer--I think prostate. He knows Tony blames him for the Ginny Sac joke that was so destructive in eroding Tony's standing with New York. He also had the "will you stand up when your time comes" dream, and we know how Paulie felt about dreams being significant.

6. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

All this speculation is just fan fic. Nothing shown in the final season ever suggests that Paulie, or Carlo, or Patsy, was planning a hit on Tony.

7. GregM

GregM The expanding man

There is a shot of Paulie and Patsy together, both looking extremely sinister, that is very suggestive they were planning a hit on Tony. I think it was in the Blue Comet episode or the finale. Of course it's by design that we will never know exactly what happened when the screen went black and who is behind it. But it's wrong to then pretend nothing happened and no one in Tony's crew is behind it, as you're wont to do.

8. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

It is fun to play armchair detective. Someone whacked Tony. So we ask, who had motive and opportunity? Answer: Pretty much all of them.

There is nothing overt that indicates Paulie, Carlo, or Patsy planned the hit. Yet it would hardly be surprising if one of them (and maybe others like Butchie) did it.

9. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

We will never, ever know. And that will have to suffice.

10. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Well .... yea. :shrug:I believe we all know we are speculating.

Speculation is the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence. That's what we doing- engaging in speculation rather than making declarations of certitude.

GregM and twicks like this.
  11. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Tony on Ralph I’d say or Janice on Richie.

12. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

This one gets my vote. It verges on slapstick.

13. Robert M.

Robert M. Forum Resident

Look how the scene is setup- New York's Fat Dom had just bludgeoned to death Jersey's Vito for being homosexual, then walks into Satriale's butcher shop while Silvio is vacuuming ('rat' turds), and Carlo is cooking dinner donning an apron. Catholic afterlife by The Sopranos.

Robert Martellaro

14. BeatleBruceMayer

BeatleBruceMayer Forum Resident

I was doing my latest rewatch in time with the Talking Sopranos podcast but kept going with season 6b. I forgot how high Bobby had moved up.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  15. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I actually never thought that was believable. Bobby went overnight from a rather shy doofus whose wife was bossing his kid around in front of Tony about staying home to do his Spanish homework while he said nothing to being a confident, alpha male type (he never would have had the balls to make the aggressive move that he did towards Paulie when they had the convo with Sil about the hit on Phil where Paulie asked if Tony was aware of it). Sure, it is possible that the move up the ranks gave Bobby more confidence, but personalities do not radically change that much in your 40's.

16. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Actually, Bobby was a very motivated, capable guy, highly valued by Uncle Junior before Tony recruited him. Both Uncle Junior and Tony were hesitant to get Bobby involved in violence out of respect to Bobby's dad, who didn't want that for Bobby. Tony didn't let him move up into the highest ranks until Bobby "got wet" with the Canadian connection. After that, Tony saw Bobby as the future of the family in a way that he had previously envisioned for Christopher. But I don't think this happened overnight nor was it out of character for Bobby. He was always trusted and respected, despite the way Tony insulted him.

17. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

Surprised Vito's death has not been mentionned yet ?
    Phil appearing in the darkness from the closet , the angel of death , fantastic

GregM likes this.
  18. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Richie Aprile leaning back in his chair when he gets it always makes me laugh..

19. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

The whole scene is amazing , building up , all the macho italian thing about his son being a dancer , "bring the steak over " reminding me of the Raging Bull scene , little details like him about to seat over the wedding magazine and his glance
    tremendous acting

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  20. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Indeed. And the show does a great job of getting the audience firmly against Richie because of the way he tortures and cripples Beansie, among other things (like plotting against Tony with anyone who'll listen to him). This is the first time we really see Richie's true nature start to come out against Janice and she surprises the audience by murdering him. Queue up the Eurythmics: "Hey, hey, I saved the world todaayy. Everybody's happy now the bad thing's gone awaayy."

21. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

22. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

His first visit out of jail to Beansie with the coffee pot smashing is truly terrifying : "veal parmigiana sandwich ...; **** you "

23. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yep, and that was a minor assault compared to the way Richie stalks Beansie to his car, bullies him at gunpoint and then commits the vehicular assault that leaves Beansie paraplegic. No one's gonna be sympathetic to Richie after that.

24. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Always wondered if Phil ' coming out of the closet ' was intentional considering the reason for Vito's killing.

25. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Totally intentional. In fact, my wife and I LOL'd when it happened, which I'm not sure was the intended effect.