Best working turntable under or at 250 dollars?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Metalhead85, Feb 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metalhead85

Metalhead85 Doesn’t understand noise music Thread Starter

I googled Ya Horng and they sell kitchen appliances. I want to buy from a company that strictly sells audio equipment and accessories.

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Sure, you either save more money or put in more legwork for used then. You don't get to be super picky with a brand new turntable at a $250 budget. Sorry. You may not like this answer but that's the way things are. Buy whatever you like.

By the way, many audio companies are also involved in other fields. Ortofon, one of the biggest cartridge manufacturers in the world, also makes industrial rubber parts.

Audio Technica, probably the largest cartridge manufacturer in the world also makes sushi machines.

Many larger audio companies also sell rebranded items from other manufacturers or OEMs. It's an easy way to make money.

3. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

SpeedMorris and patient_ot like this.
  4. Metalhead85

I didn’t mean to upset, I just wasn’t aware that was a thing.

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I'm not upset, just trying to give you some perspective on the realities of the situation.

Another thing to think about is that economies of scale have severely shrunk since the heyday of vinyl and we also have inflation. A made in Japan turntable that sold for $250 in 1978 would cost over $1K today. Actually it would even be difficult to make the same deck in Japan today, due to high labor costs.

The main reason big OEMs like Hanpin and Ya Horng can make things cheaply is due to cheap labor costs. They are also able to cut corners on things that affect performance, but many average vinyl listeners simply do not care and happily use these products anyway.

6. Metalhead85

Ok, I’m glad. Maybe I just buy all my records on cassette? We’ll see. I already have a fairly large tape collection, and I love it.

7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Tape is a fun format. I listen to tapes also. I wouldn't consider it my primary format though.

8. Metalhead85

I agree, they are fun! I simply can’t get into 8 tracks though, or any loop cartridge for that matter.

patient_ot likes this.
  9. Henry J

Henry J If you get confused, listen to the music play

That is plain insanity!
    No wonder why people get aggravated with the advice given here.

Pawnmower and Metalhead85 like this.
  10. Metalhead85

Sometimes the information given here is dog**** - granted, but there’s a lot of times good info too. After all we’re on an audiophile website.

11. Henry J

Nah I get it!!!
    But this dude (I'm guessing) is asking for honest help within his means.
    And given advice as ridiculous as that to listen to a judas priest album!
    Come on.
    I'd put a bullet in my head before I took that advice.

Pawnmower likes this.
  12. Metalhead85

You like Judas Priest? Hehe, no need to answer. Anyways, if I had access to a 20k setup, I’d play Buena Vista Social Club’s s/t record or Dark Side Of The Moon.

MCM_Fan likes this.
  13. ejman

ejman Music, fountain of life!

Out of curiosity, are you a salesperson for one of these streaming outfits? Interesting that you should post in a turntable thread. Envy perhaps?

14. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan Senior Member

@Metalhead85 - you seem like someone who currently has more time than money. Or, at the very least, has a very limited budget to spend on a hobby you enjoy. Although, I can afford to spend more, I am a notorious tightwad (I prefer "opportunistic shopper") when it comes to spending my hard earned dollars on what is essentially a discretionary expense. My hobby is basically self-supporting, and I like it that way.

I am here to state unequivocally, that it is very possible to get a great used vintage turntable for $250 (or less). I know, because I have personally bought more than two dozen within the last four years. While some were lesser known makes and models, none were dogs. Every one was at least two steps up from your current LP60 model and the best of them will outperform new models costing $1000, or more.

But, it takes time and knowledge to track down such bargains. I have taught myself how to properly set up a turntable (not hard) and also how to completely service and overhaul every make and model I have owned (that takes a bit more time and a background in engineering helps).

I did a quick check of your local craigslist and it seems like your local used market has slightly less selection and slightly higher prices than mine (Portland, OR), but don't let that discourage you, you only need one "score" to get what you need. Start by doing a some research on different make and models. Everyone knows about Technics. They have a well-earned reputation, which tends to drive up asking prices. Look for other Japanese-made direct drive models from the late 70s and early 80s. They all made good, reliable turntables at that time. Look for lesser known brands, like MCS and Realistic (Radio Shack). Don't let these "store brands" scare you off. Many of the MCS models were, in fact, made by Panasonic (maker of Technics turntables) and many Realistic models were made by CEC, who also made turntables for Marantz and others. Do your research and know which models were made by who and you can get a great deal.

Start googling different makes and models that show up on your local used market. If you're not sure about the quality of a given model, ask here and in the forums at AudioKarma. Also, check with local shops that sell serviced vintage gear. You'll pay more, but the table will come in fully working condition with some kind of warranty. Unless you are prepared to do a little service and maintenance yourself, allow enough in your budget to pay someone to do it for you. Most of all, be patient, but be ready to pounce when a good deal presents itself. When a good deal shows up, it doesn't usually last long.

If you have a car, the time, and can't find anything on your local market, expand your search to other cities within reasonable driving distance. My two best turntables, the two I plan to keep long term, were not listed on my local craigslist. I had to drive 4 hours round trip for one and 5 hours round trip for the other, but both were such great deals, it was well worth it.

Careful shopping and relentless bargain hunting has allowed me to acquire a wonderful stereo and a great album collection that I enjoy daily. Plus I enjoy the thrill of the hunt. In less than four years, I have purchased over 600 records at local thrift stores, greater than 95% of them in VG+ to NM condition (I won't buy trashed albums no matter how cheap they are). Many of these are desirable first pressings - all bought for $2.99, or less, each. Yes, you can spend a fortune of equipment and records, but you don't have to. Good luck in your hunt and be sure to keep us posted.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  15. Henry J

Hehe....love.love.love metal!
    Love floyd. Love music.
    I love to listen to music, not analyze it.

16. Henry J

Awesome advice!
    I too am a thrift store junkie!

MCM_Fan likes this.
  17. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

The only tape worth listening is 1/4" two track recorded at 15 ips. That sounds BETTER that best vinyl. But vinyl playback gear is cheap in comparison to a good tape machines (which are universally vintage).

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  18. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

This is just a target. No one says you should get there in one go.

19. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

DSotM is best sounding in full surround. 4.1 record exists (usually distributed as DVD-A disk) for that. Good quality HT setup should be able to play it properly.

20. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

I do not have any monetary interest in this hobby (at least yet...). My personal setup, though not cheap, pales in comparison to what other audiophiles, I know personally, own. But today good digital playback system is way cheaper than equally good analog system. That is why I refer to Qobuz as a source of reasonably priced content, which can be enjoyed on relatively inexpensive system. Vinyl is sort of luxury in comparison.

21. Metalhead85

Ah! Craigslist, why didn’t I consider. See, I lied about my age in my bio. I was born in 2005 and not 1984. Just easier to remember that date because I’m a big Van Halen fan. I’m 15. So yeah, I have a little time during homework and not a lot of money. I’ve been collecting since I was 7, which is where I got my vinyl. The thrill of the hunt is there with cassettes too - it’s great to find an album for cheap that you love.

MCM_Fan likes this.
  22. Metalhead85

A good cassette with a good machine can actually sound amazing, idk what you’re talking about. Reel to reel are super expensive, but I’ve heard they’re better than vinyl.

23. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

They are, indeed, in both points.

24. Metalhead85

I’d love to hear one!

25. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.