Better Call Saul - All Things Discussion*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by misterjones, Jan 7, 2021.

1. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

I have to say that I just can't imagine anyone else other than Bob delivering the writer's lines as well and seemingly as naturally and so authentically. He just acts like a born b.s.'er and can really talk his way out of almost any situation sans Marion.

2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Its been several months now and my thoughts on this series has drastically changed. A short came up with Jimmy wise cracking while painting Kim's toes and it wasnt funny or cute to me at all. All I could think of was how disgusting these two characters are to me now. Its weird my change of heart I admit. But if I am honest, I just dont care for the trajectory and the way they took the show. And the cartel thing plays deeply into this.

It will take me awhile to wash the last few episodes from my mind. I really have taken a dislike to the way the show ended up. Not Kim and Jimmy breaking up but just the totally gutted feeling and the cartel aftertaste.

I will probably ultimately end up thinking of BCS as a three season show. The more I am away the more I realize the true star of this show was Michael McKean. Take him and his character away and you have a rather cartoonish uninteresting series.

For three seasons, this show was as about as brilliant as a series can get. Its better I fill in the blanks of how Kim and Jimmy end up and Saul appears.

3. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

To some degree this has the ring of truth, but come on now, the show as a whole was not as bad as all that.

spanky1 and Thomas D like this.
  4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I wish I felt the same as I did at the end of the series but I think manner in which Kim and Jimmy turned out was too much. And the tie into the cartel was the main reason they went with such a completely vile and corrupt characterization . Maybe I will change my stance again after awhile.

ubiknik likes this.
  5. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Becaise its not universal. All six seasons are on where I am.

6. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

You are fortunate..I am dying to see it..

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  7. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Enjoying the first season from the BluRay box set. Tons of extras. I’m not sure if there are more than the single season releases, but it’s a joy to watch things like a half hour sit down with Michael McKean and Bob O. There are also great outtakes, deleted scenes and a full table read of the first episode. I watch an episode, then rewatch with commentary. This is what retirement is all about!

Oh yeah. Worse packaging EVER!
    :doh:

Ere, thgord, stereoptic and 7 others like this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Season 6.
    Late for the party.
    Enjoyed it. It is was it is. But .. regarding the ending ? Was expecting more.

9. in_the_fog

in_the_fog Forum Resident

I wasn’t 100% sure about the ending myself, but in retrospect I think it was perfect.

10. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

Has anyone started watching the Blu-rays for season six yet? In the first few episodes, there are some scenes that contain a mixture of English and Spanish dialogue. I didn’t have the subtitles activated, so I was surprised to discover that there were no subtitles giving the English translation when someone like Nacho was speaking Spanish. I had to turn the subtitles on manually, which gave me English subtitles for both the English and Spanish dialogue.

A few episodes later, there are scenes that mix English and German. In this case, there were English subtitles translating the German. These appeared automatically - I didn’t have to select them.

Am I missing something? The lack of subtitles translating the Spanish dialogue seems like a major oversight to me.

slipkid likes this.
  11. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I don't disagree about the ending, although some scenes leading up to it were a bit loco. If only the preceding episodes were as good.

Agreed. That's not good. I've been holding out for a 4K release, preferably a complete set with BB. But it seems like they don't have their ducks in a row and it probably has something to do with cost-cutting and layoffs.

12. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

What was up with Kim's dull appearance in the season 6?
    Dull close, shoes, hair.
    Was she trying to hide, or just felt miserable and wanted to melt into mediocrity?
    Any thoughts?

13. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

She was subsuming her previously impulsive and smart personality because it had gotten her into so much trouble and burying the guilt and grief she felt about all that had happened. That was my impression anyway.

14. GregM

GregM The expanding man

That and she knew she had to lay low because she had crossed the line. We got the subplot that suggested Saul was planning to throw her under the bus to save himself.

15. alexpop

Ice cream?

16. alexpop

Pinkman still on the loose?

17. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

18. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Waiting on my Bluray season 1-6 and looking forward to those extras.

19. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member

Lot of money for the bluray on this. Streaming is much cheaper, but then you don't get the extras.

RSteven likes this.
  20. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Most of which end up on YouTube.

21. alexpop

Last season.
    Could it have been better ?

22. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Better Call Saul wins Best Drama Series and Bob Odenkirk wins Best Actor in a Drama Series at the Critics Choice Awards tonight.

Dayfold, alexpop and ubiknik like this.
  23. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Re: That ending - Jimmy may have done what felt right in the moment, but after a few months of incarceration he would deeply deeply regret his impetuousness given he could've stuck with the first deal, served the much shorter sentence able to look forward to a life on the outside again free and clear.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    slipkid, Chuckee and alexpop like this.
  24. alexpop

Any news of Pinkman series?
    Hey Kim could be in it.

25. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I think it's time to put the franchise to rest. They have a high note to end on.