Better Call Saul - Season Five Discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Sep 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

It's the perfect example. And I didn't say "before." We saw Gus the same as everyone else, in BB. We saw what he did in BB so what he did in BCS only solidifies his character. And by the way, Mike could have slit Victor's throat.

2. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Like Walt said soon after that incident in BB, it was all about Gus sending a message. Cross him and get your throat slit, and Gus will even do it personally.

Nightfly68 likes this.
  3. Nightfly68

Exactly.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  4. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025) Thread Starter

I believe so yes.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  5. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025) Thread Starter

Did I see Gus quickly check out the fryer to see if it was clean before he torched the place?

:laugh:

6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

No, because Mike had screwed up too in Gus’ eyes.

7. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I don't watch any of these shows with a sense of disappointment, I just go wherever they take me, be it The Terror, the Outsider, Mr. Mercedes, or BCS. So I'm usually never too shook up by what I see. But last night, I don't know. Kim is a very successful attorney with a good corporate gig going. She knows damn well what it means for a lawyer to be "friends of the cartel." Yeah, I know she has her "dark side", playing games with Jimmy, breaking beer bottles in the parking lot, but she cannot be blind to what that entails. To just sit there and blink while Jimmy tells her this. She is endangering her career, her life, everything.
    Saul's outburst with Howard was way over the top. I get that he hates Howard and everything he stands for, but the "I'm God" deal. That is a bit much.
    Oh, I'm in for the ride, I just think after some slow episodes they accelerated very suddenly with both characters.

Mr. H, turnersmemo and Chrome_Head like this.
  8. Borgia

Exactly, he did.

9. Nightfly68

You're missing the point. Gus is a control freak. He could have had anyone in his crew burn down his restaurant or kill, but he didn't. That's who he is. Contact Vince Gilligan or Peter Gould if you still believe Gus shouldn't have set his restaurant on fire.

George P, Chrome_Head and Lonson like this.
  10. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

And youre missing mine. A miss, miss situation. Its ok, the virus isnt going stop if we figure this out :)

Nightfly68 likes this.
  11. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

And on one side you saw a gleam in the eye as if there was still a bit of Jimmy there.

The camerawork in the last scene was very meaningful as well. It followed Saul/Jimmy on his tirade, then the camera stopped and blurred as Saul walked away. The camera was Jimmy being left behind.

Vidiot and chili555 like this.
  12. Yes.

Just playing devil's advocate, but isn't that the life of all defense and prosecution attorneys? The prosecutor has a feeling the defendant is innocent, yet they must attempt to prosecute anyway. The defense attorney might know that their client is as guilty as sin, yet it is their job to get their client off the hook.

She's not blind to what it entails. If she was blind she would have never masterminded such blatant criminal activity like getting Huell Babineaux set free, or fleecing her Mesa Verde client (several times over). These were Kim's ideas. And this last one? To bring down Kevin Wachtell? Jimmy might have suggested it, but it was evident that Kim and Jimmy were totally in it together.

Several times Kim has tried to crawfish. She wasn't born into this world like Jimmy, so she attempted to put her foot down try for the straight and narrow. But she's a natural. A natural crook with a newly formed dependency on the thrill of the grift. Like a dog returns to its vomit, so Kim will return to her sin.

Did anyone not notice the pure loving-emotion in Kim's eyes when she looked at Jimmy right before she agreed to her marriage vows? She worships Jimmy McGill. Now more than ever.

People have made a big to-do over Kim and Jimmy seeming awkward around one another; they seldom act like a true couple, but after hey got married, there was more kissing and more bonding in one episode than the whole series combined. This tells me that bot only is she in bed with Jimmy, but that she's in bed with Jimmy...for the long haul (whatever that may entail).

Mr. H and Chrome_Head like this.
  13. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I think the sequence of events here is notable: Jimmy and Kim marry quickly in a no-frills court wedding. Then Kim goes to her client Kevin, who tells her “you could do a lot better than that guy”. Then Jimmy comes clean to her in full about his new client, and his connection to organized crime. For all we know, Kevin’s comment solidified Kim’s devotion to Jimmy/Saul.

Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but it was much the same kind of decisive moment where Jimmy decided last season that trying to play it straight (much as he told the young High School student) was a waste of time for him. Kim deep down loathes the likes of her Mesa Verde client.

Hot Ptah, Borgia and EVOLVIST like this.
  14. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

I agree that Saul is excellent but it was Kim who spotted the copyright issue when looking at the photos from the break in at Kevin's house in Ep 5.

51IS and Chrome_Head like this.
  15. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

The latest episode was the best of the season so far for me. All round excellence. I'm still excited to see where this is all going and look forward to each episode more than anything else on the box right now.

16. Borgia

Maybe so, like Jimmy loathes Howard.

I agree, she's not. She knows the danger. I just can't make sense of it. It's like she has a death wish, or at least wants to destroy her career just as its taking off.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Chrome_Head likes this.
  17. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Nice catch. I need to pay attention!

George P, Dayfold and Chrome_Head like this.
  18. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

you're seeing a different Howard based on the breakdown you mentioned from season 4. he's a different person living his life differently. he pops up in the places you would expect based on being a lawyer. and the characters are reacting to the situations they find themselves in. though i will admit jimmy's actions toward howard are over the top extreme even if you hold chuck's death against howard. sorry you aren't happy with the show's direction but the happy days/dukes of hazard compares are way off base in so many respects.

Tim S and BEAThoven like this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I concede that happy days/dukes of hazard was hyperbole. I dont see it as goofball as that or even jumping the shark. I was trying to be funny and make a point at the same time. But I still stick with my stance that its not as good a show as it once was. And plain weird at times.

GentleSenator and JPG like this.
  20. Playloud

Playloud Nobody’s Hero

I’m feeling like Saul looking at the victim’s family is one of last glimpses of Jimmy McGill the lawyer we’re going to see. Saying goodbye to his conscience. Great scene!

chili555 and MPLRecords like this.
  21. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Yes, it is. Peter Schuler. Who appears to be in a relationship with Lydia. And also apparently ran death squads with Fring in Chile and may be one of the Boys from Brazil.

22. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

23. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I have to say that it bothered me that Mesa Verde "keeps the lights on" at Schweikert and Cokely, yet Rich would allow Kim to spontaneously do a 180 in the hallway and go back and make a very risky play instead of running with the "50-50" chance they had to keep them. It seemed completely out of character for him - it's his firm!

George P, Mr. H and GMfan87' like this.
  24. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Is Howard walking away taking the high road or will he exact some revenge against Jimmy?
    Personally feel that storyline should of been long over.
    Yes Jimmy/Saul was bit too over the top especially given his surroundings.
    It's funny how they spent sometimes too much time developing Nacho's character and now when he figures in more we are seeing little of him.
    I do like Lalo, adds a certain charm, humor and spark to scenes.
    If it becomes more BB like that certaintly isn't "dumbing it down" as one poster wrote. That show was incredible and think back before they were in deep in the criminal world, when Walt had the scenes with family about his cancer, all the more human scenes with Jesse and Walt, very realistic, terrific acting.

Mr. H likes this.
  25. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Howard definitely has the power to end Jimmy's career now. The hurling of insane hysterical insults and threats in public toward another attorney merits disciplinary action. And there are witnesses. Coming right after Jimmy's license was restored after earlier discipline makes it an easy case. It's all up to Howard as to whether he wants to pursue it.

As to BB references, there are a small minority of viewers who take that unique view that the show should totally minimize BB references and should be "self-contained" as much as possible. Most people, however, enjoyed BB and appreciate the references and characters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.