Beware: Pirated Copies of Steve's Wolfman Jack "Howlin on the Air" CD Sold on eBay *

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by Propinquity, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That's a really fun CD. Real Wolfman Jack XERB hi-fi airchecks. Someone grab it!

3. Someone did, not me :(

-s1m0n-

4. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

I have a copy of that CD and think you did a great job, Steve. Would you be able to share any experiences involving the making of the CD?

5. Steve Hoffman

Sure, like what?

6. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Ill jump in and ask. How did the idea come about for doing this? Was the Wolfman involved?

7. Steve Hoffman

Mr. Blonstein was a great fan and wanted to do an AM Radio version of the Golden Age type of thing like we did with Tom Donahue and B. Mitchell Reed.

Wolfman's widow Lou had the goods.

Heck, we even went down to KIIS Radio and mooched a few cart machines from the Rick Dees show so we could transfer Wolfman's original sound effects carts to digital (the howl, etc.)

The true cache of XERB tapes came to us during the end of our compiling. Then, it was only a matter of using the songs that we could get the rights to. Took months. Loved those commercials & XERB jingles. Priceless stuff.

8. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

Thanks Steve! I love it that you were able to mooch off Rick Dees! I'm amazed that the XERB tapes were in such good shape. I'm an aircheck collector and I've dealt with the varying quality of tapes and many sound pretty bad. These must be from the collection of so-called "live" tapes recorded in Hollywood at the studios of XERB and shipped across the border to the transmitter site in Baja? I'm assuming most of the XERB tapes were originally recorded at 15 or 30 ips to retain quality for broadcast?
    Did you end up making the CD by piecing many of the bits, gags, intros and outros together or did you end up using longer, uncut segments from the tapes?
    I guess the million dollar question is this: Were the tapes mostly scoped or unscoped?

9. Steve Hoffman

XERB, Hollywood, yes. Right on the Sunset Strip (as mentioned in one of the station jingles). 15 ips (good fortune for us). I think they had some kind of Bell System phone line to the border by that time, didn't they? Probably a 5k line or something. Don't really know.

Remarkably, most reels were unscoped. My guess is that the reason this was done is because Wolfman had an eye to syndication and needed complete songs. Just a guess.

10. Propinquity

My apologies to whomever bought this cd. I received mine today and it is a cd-r. I am going to request a refund.

11. crispynz1

crispynz1 Forum Resident

Are you able to post a pic/scan please?

12. Propinquity

I can't since I already prepared it for return shipment.

The seller kindly refunded my money.

13. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

That's good news.

Why are they so hard to find, anyway? I have a DCC Wolfman Jack CD - I guess it'll be pretty hard to find the others! :sigh:

14. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

I guess I'll be sending mine back as well, when I receive it.:D

15. crispynz1

crispynz1 Forum Resident

I emailed her asking if the others are cdr's and this is the response I got

"They are supplied by Lou Lamb Smith, Wolfman's widow. If they are she had them made. They sound great. I am blind so I can't comment on the inserts. Judy"

16. Propinquity

This seems to be the only Wolfman title with counterfeits floating around.

17. Steve Hoffman

That's interesting. Hopefully she is paying artist and publishing royalties!

18. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

Thanks for your comments on the disc, Steve. I have no idea regarding the XERB phone line.

Those unscoped tapes need to land in syndication. Too bad they haven't yet :(

19. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I found one of these "Howlin' On The Air" CDs online this week (sealed and hopefully not a CD-R: eek: ). Hopefully it will arrive today and I'm really looking forward to hearing it.

20. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

I bought one of these (sealed) via eBay a year or so ago. It was a CD-R, and not a very good one. It was full of skips and errors. :shake:

The seller had a similarly suspicious tale as to the provenance of the CD-Rs, which I won't repeat here.

Too bad, 'cause it's a great sounding disc, and lots of fun.

Chris

21. Mike Dow

After reading this thread (wish I had read it earlier :cry: ), I don't have a good feeling about my disc. I'll have to wait and see what shows up but I have a feeling I'll be asking for a refund.

22. Mike Dow

It arrived today and it's definitely a pirated copy. It looks like someone with a pile of CD-Rs and a laser printer is churning out copies of this thing. Hopefully, I'll get a refund.

To prevent anyone else from getting soaked, I think it would be a good idea to change the thread title.

23. LesPaul666

Still waiting for mine to come.:confused:

24. LesPaul666

Opening the package...top label looks printed/copied with "Mastered By Nimbus" LOL. Guess it's time to inquire for a refund.:mad:

25. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.