Beware: Pirated Copies of Steve's Wolfman Jack "Howlin on the Air" CD Sold on eBay *

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by Propinquity, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crispynz1

crispynz1 Forum Resident

How about a scan? I'm intrigued :agree:.

2. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

OMG, Johnny that pic is killing me! ROTFLMAO! How appropriate. I sent mine back....a copy, and not even a good one.
    :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

3. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have the other 2 Wolfman CDs..I missed this one...looks great!

5. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

Will I be reprimanded? Ahh...I'll do it in the name of consumer protection.:D

Attached Files:

6. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

..over my head..What does this mean "Were the tapes mostly scoped or unscoped"

7. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

In the radio industry, an aircheck is generally a demonstration recording, often intended to show off the talent of an announcer or radio programmer to a prospective future employer. A scoped (telescoped) aircheck usually contains only segments where the announcer is actually talking, along with a BIT of the music or commercial on either side. In an unscoped aircheck, all programming is left intact and unedited, including music, commercials, newscasts, jingles and other on-air events.

I guess that is what they are talking about?

8. LesPaul666

:eek:

:(

Attached Files:

9. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

To her credit, the seller refunded my money in full and told me to keep the disc. :thumbsup:

10. runofthemill

runofthemill Forum Resident

The seller seems to be on the up and up at least.

11. LesPaul666

I'm getting a kick out of this situation. Judy wrote back and told me to keep mine and gave me a refund, as well. This must be a pretty rare DCC CD.:D

12. crispynz1

crispynz1 Forum Resident

Damn, I should have got one :sigh:

13. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

In a follow up message, Judy stated that she is going to stop selling this title.
    To me, she seems like an honest seller who didn't realize that she had received pirated copies of the disc.

14. LesPaul666

Much agreed. I feel very bad for the lady, and she should take appropriate action involving the party responsible.

15. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

That is correct Johnny33. A scoped aircheck can also include live commercial reads by the air talent and station jingles.

I asked the question to see how much of the Wolfman Jack tapes were actually intact. There are several radio aircheck CDs that have been available through the years that were taken from partically scoped tapes and matching music was then added (I used to add music to scoped tapes to make them ready for airplay several years ago on my old, old internet radio station). There are also some available, such as this Wolfman Jack CD, that mostly contain what actually aired.

Sorry to also hear of the booted CDs that are showing up. I obtained my copy from Tower Records in Laguna Hills, CA several years ago and never thought about someone trying to boot this particular disc. The disc does look like the scan.

16. LesPaul666

Wow, I'm suprised it got into mainstream record stores.:eek:

If it has that lot number in the inner circle, and the Nimbus matrix is printed on, and not an actual through-the-disc matrix, it's a fake, like these.

17. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

If you look at the rest of the titles she's selling, I would guess that 99% of them fall under the grey area "import" category, on labels such as Liberty Bell, Marginal, Teenage, CamPark, etc.
    If she is not aware that she is selling titles that are not licensed for US distribution, she could get herself into a bit of hot water.

18. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

Oops! Let me backtrack for just a second. I meant to say that my copy is an original pressed copy (the one I obtained from Tower Records several years ago), not a boot.

Sorry guys:hide:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.