Big Barrel Full of Monkees Thread (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jun 23, 2014.

1. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

IMDB only has him in one episode, but I swear he played Shaggy for a bit. Mandela effect?

2. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Casey Kasem was the voice of Shaggy.

Guy Smiley and Hep Alien like this.
  3. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

4. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

By “DVD” I meant a physical release in general. Yes, a BR would be great.

D-rock likes this.
  5. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

I’m definitely up for a M&M live album, the two shows I was at were both spectacular.

6. RedRoseSpeedway

This is probably a dumb question but which mix of “A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You” was used during the summer of 67 reruns of the show? I was recently watching the episode “Monkee See, Monkee Die” on YouTube, and when ALBMALBY came on I really dug the sound. Is it a special TV mix that hasn’t been released or is it a mono single mix?

(Song starts around the 18:45 mark, the sound itself is kinda grainy and muffled however)

joy stinson and Hep Alien like this.
  7. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Yeah, I figured. Am just worried they'll use any excuse to downgrade ("See... the fans only want a DVD.")

8. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

It's probably a special TV mix. Seems like most of the songs got that treatment. The latest Monkees super box sets have been including more of these. If there ever is a Headquarters super deluxe, I'd assume this would be on it. I seem to recall that the original mono single mix wasn't released digitally for some time (missing tape?). I think it may be out now but maybe someone can help locate what it was put out on.

Hep Alien and RedRoseSpeedway like this.
  9. RedRoseSpeedway

Thanks for the info man!

10. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

That clip sounds faked. The audio (NOT ALBMALBY) is that horrible fake surround stereo from the DVD and the quality majorly changes once the music starts up. I wouldn't take that exact clip as fact.

RedRoseSpeedway likes this.
  11. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

IIRC Micky's name (spelled "Mickey Dolenz") appears under "voices" in the "gang credits" (credits which apply to multiple episodes) in the Scooby-Doo episodes which show the series title as "The Scooby-Doo Show" -- these are the ones with the intro based on "The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour" -- used on episodes from 1976 through 1979.

I don't know which character(s) he voiced and it might only have been one time. Micky did do some voices for other Hanna-Barbera cartoon shows as well.

Maybe someone can chime in and tell us where Micky appears.

The "complete series" of "Scooby-Doo: Where Are You" as I understand it, includes the first two seasons under that title, and then they add the episodes from the 1978-79 season (which first aired as part of the omnibus show "Scooby's All-Stars"). These episodes were dubiously released as a DVD set calling them the "third season" of SD:WAY.

The "New Scooby-Doo Movies" (except for one episode) from 1972-74 have their own separate releases. (This is where the Davy Jones episode falls.)

(As far as I know, no new episodes were made for the 1971-72, 1974-75 and 1975-76 seasons.)

The 1976-77 season aired as "The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour" and a "complete series" set was released for that show, but it's actually just the separate half-hours of "The Scooby-Doo Show" and "Dynomutt, Dog Wonder" (and only those from that season).

Some new segments of "Scooby-Doo" and "Dynomutt" were produced for "Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics" in 1977. Some (though not all) of the Scooby episodes have been released on various DVDs, but the last eight Dynomutts (or four two-part episodes) have not been released.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  12. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Word is the original mono single mix of "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You" was first released on CD as part of the 2-disc deluxe edition of Headquarters. Supposedly, they have used that version going forward (like on the 10-CD box set of the albums with a bonus CD of singles) but I haven't personally verified this.

13. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

14. FredV

FredV Senior Member

15. RedRoseSpeedway

Hep Alien, 905 and FredV like this.
  16. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Is there a Rhino/CD release of ALYALM sans the hand-claps? I can't even remember. The no-hand-clap version is what I heard first, so the hand-claps always sound kinda weird to me.

17. Sammy Banderas

Sammy Banderas Forum Resident

D-rock and FredV like this.
  18. FredV

FredV Senior Member

The handclap version of the song is the original mono single mix. The stereo version doesn’t have the handclaps. It can be found on the ‘Then & Now’ compilation.

[​IMG]

19. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Any interesting bit of information from the Davy Jones Live In Japan’ sets’ liner notes: Pete Townshend of The Who supervised the sessions for Davy Jones’ solo singles at his Eel Pie Studios during this period.

[​IMG]

20. FredV

FredV Senior Member

21. Guy Smiley

This is my preferred version of the song. Unfortunately, it also seems to have tape damage, or something causing an audible glitch, at some point.

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  22. Guy Smiley

23. Guy Smiley

Iceman08 and D-rock like this.
  24. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Iceman08, FredV and Guy Smiley like this.
  25. Guy Smiley

Yeah, disappointing. I’d have snagged a few of these too. I’d think a little added exposure for these musicians in the States, etc., would be a good thing.

RobRoyF and D-rock like this.