Big Big Train - where to start?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Madrid, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident Thread Starter

I´m just becoming aware of this band, and really like what I´ve heard, so would be really interested in the good people of this forum´s thoughts and recommendations. Basically I knew the name and that they had Dave Gregory from XTC on guitar but watched a couple of live songs and album tracks on YouTube today (mainly from English Electric I think) and reckon they are something I could really get into, especially during the enforced lockdown. The Genesis influence is definitely there, something I´m very happy with. So - thoughts and more information on the band would be well appreciated!

SJP and carlwm like this.
  2. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

English Electric Full power version was my introduction, move forward through the Gregory years with confidence.

I also like the pre Gregory albums Gathering Speed and Difference Machine

3. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

English Electric double cd. The currently available remaster with full dynamic range. It's 100% perfect in every way.

4. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

The Underfall Yard is also a great way to start.

5. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks - they seem like a band with a big back catalogue so this should get me off to a start.

6. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

My two favourite albums are The Underfall Yard and English Electric (2 CD version).
    I think The Underfall Yard will appeal to anyone who likes Selling England By The Pound...
    I think the last couple of albums have become a bit too predictable...

Miles1968, altaeria, grbl and 3 others like this.
  7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I agree with the idea that the Full Power English Electric double is the perfect way to start. From there move forward towards the Grand Tour. I respectfully disagree with Music Geek on the last few albums. I actually think they are somehow managing to get even better. Don't ignore the two live doubles either. They are top notch,

Once you're up to date, go back to The Underfall Yard. It's the first to feature David Longdon. Great album but even though most of the pieces are in place, it's a slightly different feel without his songwriting input.

The pre Longdon albums are still well worth a listen. The pastoral prog is still there but the sound is a bit more generic. They are well written & played though and both singers, Marin Read on the first three and Sean Filkins thereafter are excellent if very different from DL.

To sum up then, It's all fab. Fill yer boots! :righton:

8. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Go to the band`s homepage and buy the lot!

carlwm likes this.
  9. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I've not really fully enjoyed any of their albums after English Electric. They have their moments, but a lot that doesn't excite me.

10. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I came in during the English Electric releases and agree you cannot go wrong there. I cannot find fault in anything released during the David Longdon years (Underfall Yard to present). I absolutely adore each one and rank Big Big Train as one of the most important bands that I have discovered within the last 10 years.

Strangely, I have yet to explore the albums which came before The Underfall Yard. I probably should at some point. Thought the band had announced a while back that they were looking to re-record those early albums with the current lineup, sadly now without Dave Gregory.

granata, Bemsha and carlwm like this.
  11. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Second Brightest Star in The Sky offers an excellent and accessible introduction. The first 37 minutes or so has seven shorter more poppier songs, while the last 33 minutes has three full-on prog tunes.

Plus the front cover picture very nicely complements the music within. :)

[​IMG]

anduandi, SJP and carlwm like this.
  12. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

English Electric 1

13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I hadn't heard that Dave Gregory had left but I'm not entirely surprised. Official reason is that he didn't want to tour internationally but in an interview (possibly in Prog magazine) around the time that The Grand Tour came out, he suggested that he was having issues with working hard and long on his guitar parts only to have them edited to the point of being unrecognizable by Greg & Dave, Since reading that, I've been expecting his departure. Whether or not that has had anything to do with his decision, it seems to have been a friendly enough parting of the ways.

I'm with you on the idea of Big Big Train being an important discovery. They are certainly one of the bands I listen to most these day, I'm sure you'll find something to enjoy on the earlier albums, different as they are.

SJP likes this.
  14. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

^^^ Excellent points.

I'm not a musician, just a fan. But my ears tell me that it seems at times as if Dave Gregory was marginalized a bit. Not in a malicious way, just that there are times when it seems that he could/should be showcased more.

Then again, sometimes less is more and you have to respect the musical decisions which were made. I certainly will not complain about the end results. I think Dave Gregory's involvement brought in more than one fan. I know that was one of my touchstones when I first purchased English Electric 1.

carlwm likes this.
  15. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

Which double CD exactly? I see Part 2 & Full Power.

16. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Nothing against the brass and strings, but they have gone overboard with it a bit lately. I'd take more Dave Gregory if they're so determined to fill that sonic space. He has some real Steve Howe moments. It they've decreased with the chamber music flourishes of late. The live albums are much more enjoyable to the studio albums. English Electric being the possible exception. However, even some of those tracks really bloom live. Losing such a great guitar player to make room for more French horns is a bummer. Thank God "Firth of Fifth" doesn't have a tuba solo. Our lives would all be drastically different.

CWChrome, Finch Platte and carlwm like this.
  17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Part one & part two along with the Make Some Noise EP were later sold together as Full Power so if you buy the latter you get 19 track and over two hours of music.

18. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

The brass & strings help make it really special for me. I was delighted that they has a brass section when I saw them live last year.

anduandi and gja586 like this.
  19. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

It's called Expanded Edition and has soft cover and 40 page booklet. Full dynamic range and super easy and smooth on the ears. Full Power version has compression and hurts the ears.

There's one used on Amazon now. Looks like it must have recently gone OOP. It was still available new a month or so ago. Maybe the just have to press more. Well worth buying the right version tho. You won't go wrong.

CraigC likes this.
  20. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

Thanks guys, yeah Amazon is $40 used for the expanded English Electric. I think it's $25 retail new. I'm not much of a streamer, but at least I can check stuff out that way.

SJP and carlwm like this.
  21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Hope you enjoy what you hear! :righton:

22. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

As mentioned upstream, you don't want the Full Power version from 2013. Get the 2016 remaster instead. I recall missing out on Full Power, wasn't a big deal because I had all of the parts, just not in one tidy package. But I jumped on the 2016 version upon release because Full Power got stupid expensive despite poor mastering.

Seems like even $40 for this one is reasonable considering it contains two full albums and an EP.

[​IMG]
    Big Big Train ‎– English Electric
    Label:
    English Electric Recordings ‎– EERCD0017
    Format:
    2 × CD, Album, Compilation, Reissue, Remastered
    UK
    Released:
    28 Oct 2016
    Genre:
    Rock
    Style:
    Prog Rock

tspit74, carlwm and CraigC like this.
  23. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

If I remember rightly, the original Full Power has a DR value of 12, while the remaster from 2016 has a DR value of 7.

SJP likes this.
  24. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

Just FYI, most of their stuff is available dirt cheap and in high res on their Bandcamp page.

25. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Did they do this with any other albums? There's certainly a number of albums that were squashed as much as EE originally was.