Big-time record producer talks about 5.1 audio at Abbey Road

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fjhuerta, Dec 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member Thread Starter

I'm sorry I can't tell you who is he. This is an interview I received just a couple of minutes ago... but I don't have permission (yet) to post details. If possible, the author will comment about it. I'll copy and paste the interesting parts about it, though... quite an eye opener.

2. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Politics always seems to get in the way. Remember DSOTM?

3. The "Let's get the higher price" thing reminds me of oil/energy execs in the US. Example: we catch Saddam Hussein and 3 days later, gas prices jump 12¢. Mebbe BP should buy out EMI (and lay off Peter Mew, to "save on overhead").

4. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Gee...this couldnt be The Beatles he's talking about,could it......

5. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

In have to assume we are talking about Let It Be... Naked 5.1.

6. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

And the industry continues to blames MP3 downloads for the drop off in sales.

Richard.

7. syogusr

syogusr New Member

Hmm: Our gas prices have dropped 6cents here.

8. fjhuerta

It's not The Beatles.

But I'd think the same policy would apply to them. So far, this policy has applied to Sting's "Sacred Love" (released), Meatloaf's "Couldn't have said it better" (non-released, I think), and the album we are talking about.

Yep. SACD, Peter Mew, etc...

9. Dr. O'Boogie

Dr. O'Boogie Forum Resident

Here's a guess.....Oasis: Heathen Chemistry

10. fjhuerta

No. It's actually Eric Woolfson, from "The Alan Parsons Project" fame (he was one of the main singers, writers, etc. of the Project). He recently recorded a CD based on a stage musical at Abbey Road called "Poe - More Tales of Mistery and Imagination".

His main idea was producing the album in SACD surround for the same price as a normal CD. He was close to getting there, too... except for politics. Peter Mew mastered the 5.1 layer, as he did with Meatloaf's and Sting's albums.

This is so weird. If Sony really desires wide acceptance of SACD, why are they charging so much more for the use of their surround technology? And why aren't they releasing every new album in Hybrid SACD? They could do so, and transparently introduce a completely new format for everyone to enjoy - audiophile and casual music lover alike. Yet they choose to release single layer albums, and charge a lot more for surround equipment.

It doesn't make sense...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.