DCC Archive Biggest letdown for a follow up album...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pigmode, Oct 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian

Ian Active Member

Thought of a few more...
    The Pursuit Of Happiness
    One Sided Story -> The Downward Road
    Although not a disaster it was rather depressing when compared to it's predecessor

Blood Sweat and Tears
    Child Is Father To The Man -> Blood Sweat And Tears
    Can't Al Kooper stay with anything for more than two seconds?

The Doors
    L.A. Woman -> Other Voices
    I wonder how many people thought that they were joking when the news broke that The Doors would make an album without Jim.

Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Street Survivors -> Southern By The Grace Of God: Lynyrd Skynyrd Tribute Tour
    That band has NO business walking near a stage (or studio) WITHOUT Ronnie Van Zandt.

Big Brother And The Holding Company
    Yes, they carried on without Janis. Two albums (so forgettable I can't even remember what they were called).

Black Sabbath
    Master Of Reality -> Vol. 4
    Not horribly bad, just really uneven in comparison... also the first without Roger Bain as producer (coincedence? I think not).

Aerosmith
    Rocks -> Draw The Line
    Another "Not bad but" album. In this case they realized how famous they really were.

Living Colour
    Vivid -> Time's Up
    Some good tracks but mainly trying to copy the first.

Rage Against The Machine
    Rage... -> Evil Empire
    Nothing they released after the first one would match its anger and intensity.

Suzanne Vega
    Suzanne Vega -> Solitude Standing
    Another good album, but it is rather comercial when compared to her excellent debut.

The Police
    "Don't Stand So Close '86"
    Gee. Ummmm. Does anyone think that Sting had no interest in The Police at that point?

The Bangles
    All Over The Place -> Different Light
    The former remains one of the most criminally overlooked albums of all time.

James Brown
    Gravity -> I'm Real
    Dan Hartman's production on Gravity made James Brown sound, not only still relavent, but downright badass. Full Force (whose only production credit prior is one hit wonders Lisa Lisa And The Cult Jam) made The Godfather Of Soul sound like a cliche of himself.

Now I'll shut up...lol

2. BitShifter

BitShifter New Member

Admittedly, it took Judas Priest's Tom Allom to get the boys to really rock out on the album "Lovin' Every Minute Of It", but songs like "Working For The Weekend" and "The Kid Is Hot Tonight" show that they knew their share of power chords.

Yeah, I consider Survivor and 707 hard rock too, so it's *really* a sliding scale. One man's hard rock is another man's power pop...

At least I didn't call them "heavy metal" :D

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

van morrison - moondance

first side:
    and it stoned me
    moondance
    crazy love
    caravan
    into the mystic

(know it by heart)

side two: