Bill Evans... new Boxset from AP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abor1g, Dec 5, 2009.

1. ETSEQ

ETSEQ Forum Resident

Well that is inarguably thorough and would seem to definitively rule out any cause other than the vinyl. With that regimen, you must really hate ticks and pops.

Aegir and bjlefebvre like this.
  2. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I own the Evans Riverside 2017 box set that was pressed at QRP a while back
    The lps were warm and sounded perfect even before running them throuh my KLaudio ultrasonic cleaner

Bill Evans, The Riverside Recordings at 45rpm

To minimize returns and keep

For warps invest in a Vinyl Flat

Yeah, you shouldn’t have to deal with warps but if it’s only a few records.. and minor warpage this is an easy fix - just don’t leave them in way too long.
    More worry on the cartridge suspension from warpage

I am more concerned with offcenter records - hello MoFI
    Which have major wobble and pitch issues

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
    bjlefebvre likes this.
  3. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Timed out

I own the Evans Riverside 2017 box set that was pressed at QRP a while back
    The lps were warm and sounded perfect even before running them throuh my KLaudio ultrasonic cleaner

Bill Evans, The Riverside Recordings at 45rpm

I have always disagreed with the assessment here of the Mofi SATVV being better
    Way too much detail and sensationalism

For warps invest in a Vinyl Flat

Yeah, you shouldn’t have to deal with warps but if it’s only a few records, they sound clean and minor warpage this is an easy fix - just don’t leave them in way too long.
    The biggest issue is not the tracking itself but the stress on the cartridge suspension from warpage

I am more concerned with offcenter records - hello MoFI
    Which have major wobble and pitch issues

4. mike_c

mike_c Forum Resident

To offer a contrasting opinion on the Vinyl Flat: my success rate has apparently been far less than yours. I find the device to be extremely inconsistent, to the point of aggravation. Some people seem to have great success with it. Others, like myself, not so much...

vinylfilmaholic likes this.
  5. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I am only seven titles in so far, but several of the records in my box were quite dished. I kind of stopped counting, but out of 14 records so far, maybe six had dish warps to some degree.

Otherwise they have been properly centered and noise free.

I am definitely going to request replacements for a few of the worst offenders.

The music is sublime. I have been listening in my office through my SET amp, and the sound is just heavenly.

This set is an absolute treasure. Maybe that is why the defects haven''t driven me insane lol.

MonkeyTennis likes this.
  6. rich121

rich121 Forum Resident

My post yesterday was out of frustration and I should be a little more patient.
    It is just that so much vinyl that is sold now has issues, no matter if you pay $20 or $150...I buy a lot and it seems more often than not, so very disappointed.

I should add that so far, as it is only tics...even though they are consistent and very distracting, many times after a few plays and a heavy cleaning between plays, they can be diminished and often mostly go away.
    The metal plates used for AP pressings are not 'polished' like many other plants do. Chad believes that this diminishes the high frequencies. But, the draw back, are tiny 'spurs' in the groove that cause these annoyances and they usually wear away.

I'm going to go thru the set, document the issues, then clean/play a few times before I give up and ask for replacements.
    This is a wonderful set and I really want the quality of the vinyl to fit the music.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  7. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

The set is truly wonderful. My set is probably 95% noise free. I took detailed notes and only have a few minor issues. I will likely only exchange a few discs.

Hopefully some of your ticks and noise issues go away with additional plays. You have a very detailed process. I just wet clean basically. I did re-sleeve these with fresh QRP sleeves, probably not necessary. I need to upgrade my turntable brush, the Hunt brush just pushes debris around mostly. Luckily, my home doesn't generate too much dust.

Although this set is extremely expensive, it is beautiful (the music, the artistry, the sound).

8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Vinyl sales are tanking on these limited editions due to the end of FOMO and flippers getting burned on Mo-Fi. I had to take a loss on a spare copy I bought to make sure of getting one.

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My wife asked me to marry her due to Fear of Missing Out. I was a limited edition.

With the end of FOMO, she wonders what she was afraid of.

My value has tanked.

Condition is everything. My cover is G- at best.

AFA, garrincha, Dignan2000 and 8 others like this.
  10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It was only after she got me that she found I was warped and not well centered.

My parents refused to take me back.

Dubmart, AFA, Dignan2000 and 3 others like this.
  11. darkscarf

darkscarf Forum Resident

That's an easy NM- on Discogs. ;)

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I will never be reissued.

ETSEQ, RiRiIII and vinylfilmaholic like this.
  13. HappyCycler

HappyCycler Forum Resident

Just bought this box. Excited!

14. Echoes Myron

It is absolutely amazing. The music within is just as good as it gets.

Do check for dishwarps on the records. I ended up requesting replacements for 8/22 discs.

15. Martin Henry T

Martin Henry T Well-Known Member

I managed at long last to get it from Scott Nagle .... slightly tortuous but ultimately successful . Only two that need replacing , one dished , one warped ..... Will wait and see if Scott can get replacements shipped over here . £930 gbp.
    Who did you source from , and have you managed to get replacements requested yet ?

16. HappyCycler

HappyCycler Forum Resident

He always seems to have what I want in stock. But I've heard bad things about his customer service so have always avoided.

17. Martin Henry T

Martin Henry T Well-Known Member

I had the same reservations , but he came good . However communication is not always great :).

18. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

New Jazz Conceptions was issued as a standalone 2LP in Dec. 2009, the same month as the 1st R.T.I. pressing of the box. Those Waltz For Debby and Village Vanguard numbered 45 r.p.m. 2LP sets were hot commodities in the 3-4 years between orig. issue and the release of the boxed set. All pressed at R.T.I.; mine are exemplary.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  19. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

Not in your current format, anyway.

RockyRaccoon likes this.
  20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My wife remastered me, but she used a digital step and added a lot of compression.

21. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

I received my replacement discs from Acoustic Sounds. They were shipped to me just the discs in rice paper sleeves. I’ve only had time to play one of the five discs so far but it is perfect. So RTI was capable after all. I’m glad I didn’t settle for anything less.

ETSEQ, Echoes Myron, captouch and 2 others like this.
  22. Echoes Myron

Great news! I requested a bunch of replacements for dished discs and was wondering when they would be showing up.

23. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

Same, excited to have a reason to dig into these albums again!

bruinuclafan and Echoes Myron like this.
  24. I can’t believe they had me destroy all of those discs and then tell me it will be TBD for replacements. A huge customer service fail which I will bring up to the higher ups over there next time we speak. If you are going to require something as extreme as destroying records, the replacements need to be in hand and ready to ship.

25. Echoes Myron

The hours I spent listening to all the records when I first got the box a few months ago were some of the most musically satisfying moments of my entire life.

The word "sublime" doesn't even begin to do it justice.

timzigs, racer59 and this_machine like this.